Another prereq advice thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChE04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been poking around this forum for months now, and think I have come up with a plan to apply in 2011, but had a concern and wanted to run it by you folks that are much, much smarter than me.

I have been admitted to my local state school as a non-degree seeker in order to 1) increase my average GPA, currently sitting pretty at 3.27; and 2) finish up prereqs. As a result of my undergrad major (chemical engineering, 2004) I have taken all the prereqs except biology. Initially I was thinking that I would take all the prereqs over again (except gen chem 1) in 3 semesters, starting Spring 2010, to both brush up for the MCAT in Spring 2011 while simultaneously helping (hopefully!) to boost my GPA. Lately I have been second guessing myself and thinking that adcoms would frown upon this, seeing it as repeating unnecessary easy classes as GPA inflation. Of course, in my 3rd semester, after I have completed intro bio, my plan would be to take some more advanced classes ie, biochem, etc.

It's quite possible I'm over thinking this... but anyone have any thoughts on this, or been in this situation? If I didn't retake the prereqs, I would be relying pretty heavily on Examkrackers and probably Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've been poking around this forum for months now, and think I have come up with a plan to apply in 2011, but had a concern and wanted to run it by you folks that are much, much smarter than me.

I have been admitted to my local state school as a non-degree seeker in order to 1) increase my average GPA, currently sitting pretty at 3.27; and 2) finish up prereqs. As a result of my undergrad major (chemical engineering, 2004) I have taken all the prereqs except biology. Initially I was thinking that I would take all the prereqs over again (except gen chem 1) in 3 semesters, starting Spring 2010, to both brush up for the MCAT in Spring 2011 while simultaneously helping (hopefully!) to boost my GPA. Lately I have been second guessing myself and thinking that adcoms would frown upon this, seeing it as repeating unnecessary easy classes as GPA inflation. Of course, in my 3rd semester, after I have completed intro bio, my plan would be to take some more advanced classes ie, biochem, etc.

It's quite possible I'm over thinking this... but anyone have any thoughts on this, or been in this situation? If I didn't retake the prereqs, I would be relying pretty heavily on Examkrackers and probably Kaplan or Princeton Review.

If i were in your situation i wouldnt retake classes that i've already passed. I would just pour all my efforts into getting a great MCAT score and write a great personal statement and have some great EC's.

If you don't want to do a PostBacc, then do one informally and take some upper division science courses to bring that GPA. Classes such as Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell/Molecular Bio, Advance Physiology, Pathophysiology, Anatomy, etc... This should also aid in some of the MCAT stuff plus show an upward trend in upper division science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think adcoms would frown on this at all. Brushing up on it for MCAT is a perfectly good (albeit expensive) reason to retake the classes. BUT keep in mind that it won't change your GPA too much! Maybe start looking over the EK or Kaplan/TPR material now, and get an idea of how much you remember and how much you think you'll need to study? You may end up being really bored in the classes. I had a similar situation; I checked the syllabuses online of the classes, bought the textbook, and just used it to supplement my MCAT prep without actually taking the classes.

Also, you don't say if you're applying MD or DO; the grade-replacement that DO does would more significantly affect your cGPA.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I do not think adcoms would frown on this at all. Brushing up on it for MCAT is a perfectly good (albeit expensive) reason to retake the classes. BUT keep in mind that it won't change your GPA too much!

Wouldn't an A in a class I have already taken average in as much as an A in a class I haven't taken? ie, it's another 4 points for 3 more credit hours? I know I have too many credits already to get my GPA much higher than a 3.4_ in 3 semesters...

Also, you don't say if you're applying MD or DO; the grade-replacement that DO does would more significantly affect your cGPA.

I will be shooting for MD but applying to both.

Wouldn't an A in a class I have already taken average in as much as an A in a class I haven't taken?

Yes, it definitely would - just saying that it wouldn't change too much with the credit hours you already have w/ your degree :) And of course, it will help even more w/ DO.

Again, best wishes -