Another question on PTE/CTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abc321123

Reaction score
Have been on waitlist at my top choice and also have an acceptance at another school which I PTEd. Would my top choice school be able to see that I PTEd another school now or on April 15th or April 30th? What if my top choice offers acceptance after April 30th, the date which I have to CTE the first acceptance school? Sorry for yet another question on this topic but it has been so confusing!

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by school but most of them don't have a CTE deadline until early summer. Check the specifics of your school.
Some schools want you to PTE by April 30th, but that's non-binding and you can still remain on waitlists/receive other offers.

So on April 30th, you PTE to your 2nd choice, withdraw all your other acceptances, and remain on the waitlist for your 1st choice.
IF your 1st choice gives you an offer after April 30th, you then withdraw your PTE to your 2nd choice and CTE to #1.

Reactions: 1 user
Have been on waitlist at my top choice and also have an acceptance at another school which I PTEd. Would my top choice school be able to see that I PTEd another school now or on April 15th or April 30th? What if my top choice offers acceptance after April 30th, the date which I have to CTE the first acceptance school? Sorry for yet another question on this topic but it has been so confusing!
Nobody can see anything until 4/30. Unfortunately for you, if 4/30 is really your CTE deadline (please confirm this with the school), the "rules" require that you withdraw from all your WLs when you select CTE. Your WL school will see this on 4/30, and, if they are playing by the "rules" they will kick you off the WL if you don't withdraw, so you won't ever have to worry about being accepted.

This is what is evil about allowing schools to set arbitrary CTE dates. There is absolutely no connection between 4/30 and when classes start at any school, so there is no reason to require anyone to select it so early. It is merely the first date that the CYMS tool will allow you to select CTE. It is just a device to force you to attend your CTE school without affording you the opportunity to see if you are called off the WL at your top choice. An opportunity that thousands of other applicants across the country will not be denied. Evil.

@gyngyn, @LizzyM, @Moko -- Do you guys have any juice, or have access to people that do? You have all proven yourselves to be strong advocates for applicants and students, and AMCAS REALLY should consider not allowing the tool to be used for CTE selection until the end of May, a full month after the requirement to reduce to one A and to provide visibility to schools regarding PTE selections. This would provide the necessary buffer to allow the system to work its magic, and to allow everyone to participate as the bulk of WL movement occurs.

Does any school really need a CTE date before then? Do any schools actually begin orientation before the third week of June? It is honestly BS that people like OP are going to be disadvantaged like this, as some schools simply game the system to their advantage. It would be great if this glaring inequity were addressed, if not now, then maybe in time for me next year. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user