Another question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cakins7005

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will having only nine fully functioning fingers disqualify me for surgery? or even medical school? My right pinky is pretty useless.
 
The problem you described will not disqualify you from getting admitted to medical school- my cousin was born with a defect of his arm (pretty much has a stump distal to the elbow,) got admitted and did well through medical school.

I don't know if having a dysfunctional pinky finger would be a problem in the OR. Are you right or left-handed? From my amateur experience, I do not think it would be a problem with tasks such as tying knots or handling most instruments, though I'd have to defer to the more experienced people out there as to whether you could completely do without the 5th finger in the OR.

good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our Chief of Surgery at the VA cut off his R index finger (he's R handed) at the MIP joint in a snowblower accident the week before he started his position. Everybody just figured he was some Vietnam vet who had learned to operate with nine fingers. He adjusted just fine.
 
One fo the trauma surgeons here had both arms aputated at the shoulders. He adjusted just fine. He uses his toungue and feet to operate. Totally wild.
 
Originally posted by Celiac Plexus
One fo the trauma surgeons here had both arms aputated at the shoulders. He adjusted just fine. He uses his toungue and feet to operate. Totally wild.
goofball 🙂
 
I can't imagine it being a problem either - especially if you've adjusted to the use of 9 fingers (or always only had that capacity).

One of my attendings and I often joke about cutting off one of his fingers (when I'm wild with the sharp stuff) for the dismemberment insurance - apparently even losing just a finger is phenomenal amount for a surgeon. We decided that the pinky would be the best one to lose. 😛
 
I can't imagine it being a problem either - especially if you've adjusted to the use of 9 fingers (or always only had that capacity).

One of my attendings and I often joke about cutting off one of his fingers (when I'm wild with the sharp stuff) for the dismemberment insurance - apparently even losing just a finger is phenomenal amount for a surgeon. We decided that the pinky would be the best one to lose, so I try and aim for that digit when I scrub with him. 😛