Any experience with switching residency positions (from one school to another)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

streamdreamer

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any experience with swapping residency positions into another program for family reasons. I am hoping to do it into a PGY2 spot.

I was just wondering how to learn about programs with vacancies and how to apply. Honestly any insight would be amazing.

I realize how hard and risky this can be, I’m just interested in people’s experiences.
 
Tough/impossible unless another program has an unexpected opening or expansion spot---maybe 1 or 2 spots a year I would guess. What is the reason you need to switch?