Another RVU question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chibadriver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between "base units" in the ASA RVG and RVUs? I was looking at Dr. Faubel's wRVU/RVU guide and notice the RVUs are much lower than what I see in the RVG. I'm transitioning to PP, not good with this stuff.

Dr. G

Members don't see this ad.

wRVU is the physician component of the work done. RVU represents the entire work. roughly 40% of RVU is the physician component, or the wRVU. the rest is the facility fee and the part taken for malpractice insurance.

anesthesiology billing is different. ASA-RVG assigns a number of units per each "procedure" an anesthesiologist does. I don't believe there is any direct correlation between wRVU and ASA-RVGs - its a different billing system.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent! Thank you. Has anyone setup a payment scheme based on the RVG units? I should elaborate, the facility I am contracting with paid their last guy based on these units, he charged $40 per. They seem to like this system...

Last edited:
most of pain I know uses wRVU. usual (good) rates seem to be $70-75/wRVU. would have to know what the ASA-RVG rates are for epidurals, median branch blocks, etc. to comment...

most of pain I know uses wRVU. usual (good) rates seem to be $70-75/wRVU. would have to know what the ASA-RVG rates are for epidurals, median branch blocks, etc. to comment...

$70-75/wRVU sounds pretty generous from what I've seen. I have MGMA data for PM&R (NOT subspecialty specific) for 2014 or 2015 showing averages in the high $50s/wRVU. I can post later...I'm sure anesthesia based is higher.

I can't comment on the ASA-RVG.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you look at total compensation (benefits/retirement) then that number is likely right on. Income it is too high for my area for most employed docs.