Another science GPA question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhizoid7

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've seen mention of a "science" GPA and a BCPM GPA, are these the same entity? Also, are astronomy courses (ie: astrophysics of star systems, stellar atmospheres) included in the BCPM GPA calculation? Thanks!

DJ
Class of 2008 Hopeful
"Everybody knows the right thing to do, the hard part is doing it" FDR

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I'm concerned, science GPA is defined as BCPM GPA. I'm not aware of any variation from that, and if there is it would be pointless since that's how AMCAS defines it. Astrophysics classes would most certainly count in your science/BCPM GPA and you would list them under the Physics heading.

That's unfortunate; I didn't want to include some of those classes... I wonder what happens if a person excludes classes from your BCPM calculation? Does AMCAS review it and re-calculate, or does it somehow interfere with your application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS most certainly reviews all the classes you've taken and the categories they fit into. that's basically what you're paying them for -- to "verify" your application by comparing your application against the transcripts you have sent to them, and then forward the verified coursework information, along with your MCAT scores, to the schools you've designated. You don't compute your BCPM average, the AMCAS application does it for you.

My astronomy classes were called ASTRXXXX instead of PHYSXXXX, so they didn't count in my BMCP. I wish they would have!

If they are called PHYS, you probably will have to include them.

It is up to the applicant to decide what classes go into what category. I asked that questions of AMCAS many many times this last summer.

Of course, the obvious ones with BIOL or PHYS or CHEM go in BCPM, but there are other less obvious ones that if you feel covered significantly BCPM topics then you can include those as well.

For example, Physical Anthropology, is ANTH 304 in my school. However, I included it in my BIOL stuff because we went over genetics and genetic disorders, bone anatomy, mechanisms of evolution etc... very much biologically oriented. I called AMCAS and they said that those kind of courses are in the gray area and they would not interfere.

later

If you say astronomy is physics, it's physics. AMCAS will only change designations that completely and utterly wrong, not things that debatable. For example, if you put that astronmy class into BESS or HIST, then they might change it. If you put it into PHYS, they wouldn't.