Another story (need advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crashdmj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Been lurking these boards for awhile so I thought I might as well register and post 'my story'. I recently graduated from a Division 3 school in WI with a double major (BS Psych GPA= 3.3ish, Soc w/Criminal Justice emphasis GPA=3.8). Graduated Cum Laude with a 3.479. Always wanted to go into Psychiatry but felt med school was out of my range (price etc. didn't know about loans hehe).

Anywho I got a job at a hospital where I live as a lowly Research Assistant in the ER and more and more am I regretting not taking the MD or DO route. I work with a lot of cool people who just got into med school and the more I talk with them and interact with the doctors, the more I believe I can do it and want to do it. So I guess here's my dilema:

Should I do this, per advice of my co-workers: Go back to the school I just graduated from...study my butt off and get the neccessary classes for taking the MCAT. Possibly study for the MCAT while taking the pre-req courses (comfortable work load) and take one of the MCAT prep classes for a grand. Take the MCAT and best case scenario do well yadda yadda yadda.
I am comfortable with the school I graduated from, and I feel I did fairly well considering i didn't try with all my might. However, does it matter if the school is D3 etc? I mean its an accredited state university. Do these plans sound feasible? Obviously much more planning is needed on my part but I thought I would post and see what people have to say. Thank you very much for your advice in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

crashdmj said:
Hello everyone,
Been lurking these boards for awhile so I thought I might as well register and post 'my story'. I recently graduated from a Division 3 school in WI with a double major (BS Psych GPA= 3.3ish, Soc w/Criminal Justice emphasis GPA=3.8). Graduated Cum Laude with a 3.479. Always wanted to go into Psychiatry but felt med school was out of my range (price etc. didn't know about loans hehe).

Anywho I got a job at a hospital where I live as a lowly Research Assistant in the ER and more and more am I regretting not taking the MD or DO route. I work with a lot of cool people who just got into med school and the more I talk with them and interact with the doctors, the more I believe I can do it and want to do it. So I guess here's my dilema:

Should I do this, per advice of my co-workers: Go back to the school I just graduated from...study my butt off and get the neccessary classes for taking the MCAT. Possibly study for the MCAT while taking the pre-req courses (comfortable work load) and take one of the MCAT prep classes for a grand. Take the MCAT and best case scenario do well yadda yadda yadda.
I am comfortable with the school I graduated from, and I feel I did fairly well considering i didn't try with all my might. However, does it matter if the school is D3 etc? I mean its an accredited state university. Do these plans sound feasible? Obviously much more planning is needed on my part but I thought I would post and see what people have to say. Thank you very much for your advice in advance. :)

yes definitely...you should never rule yourself out of applying to med school for financial reasons.

I say go for it if you really want it that badly.

Let me tell you about my pops: He had three kids (way way way before me) and wanted to go to med school. Since he came from a dirt poor family down south he really had to work much harder than most to achieve his dream (back in the day what your parents did for a living and your ethnicity significantly influenced adcom decisions on acceptance).

After spending a significant amt of time out of school after undergrad (going to grad school, joining the military, working regular jobs to support the fam) he decided to to apply. He was accepted to Yale, Wayne State, UT San Antonio, and USC. He went to USC!

And now he has been a physician for more than 25yrs.

GO for it!!! good luck