Another typical salary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tavi09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it realistic to say that a DPT can make 100k + if you’re working 50+ hours in home health? Or SNF ? And My location is Midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it realistic to say that a DPT can make 100k + if you’re working 50+ hours in home health? Or SNF ? And My location is Midwest.
Maybe if you work 60 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe with 2 jobs...

The other really sneaky thing I'm noticing is this:
If you are salary, you will find your workload (paperwork) often exceeds your work day. So you are getting paid for a 40 hour work week, but really, you are putting in many more hours than that to finish.

If you are salary, there is a ton of pressure to "get off the clock" right at 40 hours and the company will tell you "they don't pay overtime". So you find yourself clocking out...and your paperwork isn't done. So then you have to stay and finish that off the clock.

My point is, the the hours are often more than stated making it harder to cram in more hours at another job.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy violations of the FLSA batman!

Being expected, requested, or required to work off the clock for any non salary employee is illegal. Hella illegal.
If you are putting in hours you need to be compensated, period.

Being expected, requested, or required to work off the clock for any non salary employee is illegal. Hella illegal.
If you're slow as hell doing your paperwork then you will work at home in the bathtub if it means keeping your job

If I (or anyone I am aware of) is getting paid hourly and being expected to work off the clock it will likely get reported to both APTA and state labor boards. If any employee is not maintaining expected productivity levels then I suppose its fair to get canned. If employers have unrealistic expectations then they need to amend their understanding and presentation of best practices.

I am an SPT right now, but non trad with a decade of managing multimillion dollar businesses behind me. Add to this for the few years prior to my departure I had several offers as regional director of HR which I declined. The idea of working in a profession controlled by ethics but functioning outside the boundaries of ethically acceptable behavior (on behalf of management) is odd to me. While I don't doubt that plenty of practices break the law on a regular basis there are certainly plenty that do not.

Edit: it would be fair to warn the employer of their breach of federal statutes before reporting

Something else I find interesting in this type of quandary:

We know that beyond question it is illegal to not be paid working off the clock for non salary employees. Where does the line get drawn as to which laws are OK to break and which are not? If the same employer expects you to break the law regarding patient care to keep your job to you do it? If not then why allow an employer to take advantage of you under the guise of productivity standards?
Or... Is everyone else "making it work" and getting things done on the clock? Or is this a company wide issue that does need to be put under scrutiny?

hi there! It’s great site. so many topics and opinions. I used to read, basically washingtonpost but now your site one of my favorites. Thank you!

I'm currently earning $55/hr working 32-40 hrs a week in an outpatient ortho clinic. I don't get any benefits, but I do get 401k matching. I get around 8% taxes out of my paycheck. So average around 83k - 104k if this is kept up consistently through the year. Location I work in is Texas and it's not a private practice.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently earning $55/hr working 32-40 hrs a week in an outpatient ortho clinic. I don't get any benefits, but I do get 401k matching. I get around 8% taxes out of my paycheck. So average around 83k - 104k if this is kept up consistently through the year. Location I work in is Texas and it's not a private practice.
where in Texas do you work if you dont mind me asking?

It happens all the time. In a way you're getting paid. If you're actually working 45 hours a week, divide your total salary by the number of hours you work and that is your true hourly rate. When you take a job, assume 40 hours really translates to 45-50 hours. Deal with it.

If I (or anyone I am aware of) is getting paid hourly and being expected to work off the clock it will likely get reported to both APTA and state labor boards.

The employer will probably say that if you were operating at 85-90% productivity then you should be able to complete all your work in <40 hours. You would have to prove that they gave you more work than you were able to complete in 40 hours. And is working >40 hours really that bad? You said you ran multi-million-dollar businesses so working >40 hours should be normal for you.

Take your gross salary, divide it by the number of hours you really work, and pretend you're getting paid for all of it. I do that and it brings me a lot of peace.

Hey guys! Great discussion taking place, but my question still is not really being answered. If a person is salaried and works 40 hrs/wk in home health/SNF and then picks up an extra 5-10 hours on the weekends, can someone make 100k?

Hey guys! Great discussion taking place, but my question still is not really being answered. If a person is salaried and works 40 hrs/wk in home health/SNF and then picks up an extra 5-10 hours on the weekends, can someone make 100k?

Yes, but usually with two different employers. You can do home health during the week and then work at a SNF on the weekends and pick up additional hours. SNF's on the weekends are relaxed because they have reduced staff and usually you have the gym to yourself.

Yes, but usually with two different employers. You can do home health during the week and then work at a SNF on the weekends and pick up additional hours. SNF's on the weekends are relaxed because they have reduced staff and usually you have the gym to yourself.

That's exactly what I was thinking. For the start of my career I was thinking of working full time with home health (for the higher salary) and then working 5-10 hours on the weekend for an outpatient ortho clinic. This way I get to use my skills in outpatient ortho, while making an elevated income in home health to pay off the 135k loans I owe

The employer will probably say that if you were operating at 85-90% productivity then you should be able to complete all your work in <40 hours. You would have to prove that they gave you more work than you were able to complete in 40 hours. And is working >40 hours really that bad? You said you ran multi-million-dollar businesses so working >40 hours should be normal for you.

Take your gross salary, divide it by the number of hours you really work, and pretend you're getting paid for all of it. I do that and it brings me a lot of peace.

If you are salary working crazy hours is moot- comes with the territory.
Non exempt changes the game completely all based on legislation. Hourly employees function under a different set of laws.

And like I said - if you are the only one not hitting deadlines and goals, then the problem is not employer demands.
... But if you exist in a workplace where everyone is paid hourly and gets paid for 40 hours a week but work 45 to 50, something is very, very wrong.

Then I suppose it would depend on market, skillset, negotiating skills, and entrance salaries, no?

Lets assume you are on the bottom end of things - maybe get a 65K annual salary offer out of the gate.
And keeping figures low, you get $35/hr for the PRN work, then you make 17,850 working 10 hours a week.
So... No. You made 82,850.

If you found yourself a little better off in a stronger market and came in at 80K or so then got 40/hr that adds ~20K and puts the final figure at 100K give or take.

San Antonio has a decent market for PTs but it seems that out of school most folks will fall between those bands of 65K to 80K depending on negotiating skills, resume, and setting.

That said, you have to account for everything. A spot I have considered applying to on graduation pays around 73K salary, but covers 15K for EIM OCS, and sponsors your healthcare at 100% (which if you have a family is typically around 1K a month). Consider those additions and it realistically is like making 100K.

Then I suppose it would depend on market, skillset, negotiating skills, and entrance salaries, no?

Lets assume you are on the bottom end of things - maybe get a 65K annual salary offer out of the gate.
And keeping figures low, you get $35/hr for the PRN work, then you make 17,850 working 10 hours a week.
So... No. You made 82,850.

If you found yourself a little better off in a stronger market and came in at 80K or so then got 40/hr that adds ~20K and puts the final figure at 100K give or take.

San Antonio has a decent market for PTs but it seems that out of school most folks will fall between those bands of 65K to 80K depending on negotiating skills, resume, and setting.

That said, you have to account for everything. A spot I have considered applying to on graduation pays around 73K salary, but covers 15K for EIM OCS, and sponsors your healthcare at 100% (which if you have a family is typically around 1K a month). Consider those additions and it realistically is like making 100K.

I live in Ohio, and I think the PT salary here is very typical. Not high and not low. Also, 65k for a new graduate is pretty decent, no? What do you think a new grad could get? Also, what do you think the salary would be at mid career? Ultimately, I want to make a base salary of 85-90k (10+ years experience) in home health or SNF and then pick up 5 hours every Saturday to get to 100k

I think its all over the map how much you could make.

Do you settle in at a certain location and just rely on annual merit increases? Or do you find a niche and build a market for yourself and your skills by certifications, CEUs, etc... I believe it is entirely possible to be in the field for 5 years and make 60K a year and I think its equally possible to be in the field for 5 years and make 100K on a single normal job.