Another Way of Financing a DIY Postbacc or Second Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawktux09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well, and if you are in classes, that you are having a good semester.

I want to give some background information on myself. I am in my mid 20s and I graduated in 2019 with a BS in Communication after switching my major 3 times (Criminal Justice, Biology for a year (did not go very well), then finally comm.)

When COVID started and I lost my internship at Disney World, I had plenty of time to reflect on what I wanted to do and decided I wanted to still go to medical school.

Initially I was going to work at a retail store that offered some tuition assistance, but realized I was miserable working there. At that point I was moving to a new city and one of the private universities in the area offered a formal post-bacc. I applied for that and got accepted!

At the same time I was working for another well known private institution in the south on a temporary basis, doing some research. I found out that this institution provides a tuition waiver (as do most colleges) and will pay for me to get another Bachelor's degree in Biology. While it will take me approximately 5-6 years, I am more than willing to wait to get that second degree. It is also incredibly helpful that my classes are on the same campus, and isnt much of a disruption to my work day.

I noticed that there wasnt really any information on that, but is a great, low cost way of getting a second degree or just taking pre-reqs (initially I was just going to do my pre-reqs but started as an undecided degree seeking student.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes--a girlfriend of mine (not premed) used her tuition benefit at Boston University to get an M.P.H.. It really works. Congratulations on getting a coveted university job!