Another "What are my chances" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDFlosser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...I'll be honest; feet gross me out - I'm pre-dental.

But, my boyfriend is applying to Podiatry school on Monday.
He keeps telling me he has a good chance of getting in, blah blah. But his MCAT score is low (17). Thanks to a 2 in the verbal section (8 in PSci and 7 in Bio). He is retaking it in Sept, but I know that his score won't go up more than a point or two.

His GPA isn't great either. He has a 3.3 overall, and a 3.2 science.

He has published research, and some awesome letters of rec. with lots of shadowing.

He's applying to: Barry, CSPM, NYUPM, and Temple.

Why am I posting in here?
I'm worried that we won't end up in the same city when I go to dental school. His positive words aren't enough for me. I need YOUR opinion.

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

your boyfriend must raise his MCAT to at least 20+ then he has a decent shot at all the schools. All others look good and make sure he has a LOR from a Pod.

if your boyfriend gets accepted to NYCPM and you to NYU Dental then you'll both be in NYC. No more worries.

Good luck.

Alrighty then...I'll be honest; feet gross me out - I'm pre-dental.

But, my boyfriend is applying to Podiatry school on Monday.
He keeps telling me he has a good chance of getting in, blah blah. But his MCAT score is low (17). Thanks to a 2 in the verbal section (8 in PSci and 7 in Bio). He is retaking it in Sept, but I know that his score won't go up more than a point or two.

His GPA isn't great either. He has a 3.3 overall, and a 3.2 science.

He has published research, and some awesome letters of rec. with lots of shadowing.

He's applying to: Barry, CSPM, NYUPM, and Temple.

Why am I posting in here?
I'm worried that we won't end up in the same city when I go to dental school. His positive words aren't enough for me. I need YOUR opinion.

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:

I read your post on the Pre dental forum lol

Unfortunately admission to schools granting degrees in podiatric medicine are quite lax, maybe too lax, not that I am complaining of course :)

He will probably get in somewhere with some correction to his MCAT :)

Members don't see this ad :)
People get in with all sorts of low MCAT scores, but a 2 in the verbal is not going to cut it.

I would say if he can pull at least a 6 in verbal and similar scores in the other 2 sections he will be granted interviews at just about all of the programs.

I read your post on the Pre dental forum lol

Unfortunately admission to schools granting degrees in podiatric medicine are quite lax, maybe too lax, not that I am complaining of course :)

He will probably get in somewhere with some correction to his MCAT :)

Bahaha. I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff lately. Especially on my days off!
I noticed how lax the scores are compared to what equivalent DAT scores might be. That gives me hope.

I just wish I could take his verbal section for him...:p

Bahaha. I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff lately. Especially on my days off!
I noticed how lax the scores are compared to what equivalent DAT scores might be. That gives me hope.

Is he still gonna apply to DO schools (not a stalker just read your pre dental post) :laugh:

I highly doubt it that he will gain admission to a school with a 2. I can see the adcom making exceptions to students who score really high in other sections and low in one, but a 2 on verbal and a 17 total is unheard of.

I highly doubt it that he will gain admission to a school with a 2. I can see the adcom making exceptions to students who score really high in other sections and low in one, but a 2 on verbal and a 17 total is unheard of.

yeah my thoughts exactly. how does one get a 2 on the VB? I've seen international students (from east asia) score higher than that. It just shows he didn't care much about the exam. You don't take the real MCAT "just to see where you stand." You take it when you're actually ready for it, and even then, the scores might bite you in the @$$.

I was told by an adviser that verbal is actually one of the most important sections because it is a good predictor of how well one does on the boards. Essentially a 5 or below puts you on the back burner, 6 is iffy, and 7 is essentially the minimum. Hope everything works out :thumbup:

yeah my thoughts exactly. how does one get a 2 on the VB? I've seen international students (from east asia) score higher than that. It just shows he didn't care much about the exam. You don't take the real MCAT "just to see where you stand." You take it when you're actually ready for it, and even then, the scores might bite you in the @$$.

I would guess her boyfriend is an international student. Even so, guessing A on every question without reading the passages would get a better score.

I can tell you that temple is a big fat no. They like a min of 18-19 with a min of 5 in verbal. Now, I know that CSPM states on their website that the min mcat is 16. However, it does not indicate a minimum in in each section of the test. I suggest you call or email admissions and ask. They are pretty straightforward. I do not think that Barry or NY will take a 17 at all. I think that his only prayer is CSPM if they can find a way to overlook that 2 in verbal. I think that with things being evaluatd between the 2 CAli podatry schools, a huge red flag like a 2 in vebal may not pass now as it may have 2-3 yrs ago.

PS: I know the OP is concerned, but getting into dental school is not a walk in the park. You need to make sure you can get into dental school too. Good luck to you both!

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

I agree that a 2 is borderline illiterate. He's not an international student. But, he OBVIOUSLY has difficulty with reading (which I don't understand at all). This might be due to his anxiety with that section combined with the fact that he never read when he was younger (he suffered a couple concussions as a kid and developed a strange phobia of the sound and feeling of turning a page in a book, or flipping a loose-leaf piece of paper....I know, sounds crazy, but it's true).

Anyway, he also applied to DO schools (I have little confidence that he'll get in, but I try to be supportive :(). He's retaking his MCAT on Sept. 8th. For studying, he's been doing MCAT practice questions for ALL sections, and reading various novels to work on his reading speed, etc.

As for dental school - which I noticed someone mentioned above - don't worry about me ;). I did above average on the DAT and have a bunch of other goodies that should get me into AT LEAST 1 of my 8 schools that I applied to. We'll see.

So far, he's been put on hold by one DO school, and is filling out secondaries for a couple others. He applied on day 2 of the DPM application cycle, so I hope that helps.

Thanks for your honest input, guys. :thumbup:

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

I agree that a 2 is borderline illiterate. He's not an international student. But, he OBVIOUSLY has difficulty with reading (which I don't understand at all). This might be due to his anxiety with that section combined with the fact that he never read when he was younger (he suffered a couple concussions as a kid and developed a strange phobia of the sound and feeling of turning a page in a book, or flipping a loose-leaf piece of paper....I know, sounds crazy, but it's true).

Anyway, he also applied to DO schools (I have little confidence that he'll get in, but I try to be supportive :(). He's retaking his MCAT on Sept. 8th. For studying, he's been doing MCAT practice questions for ALL sections, and reading various novels to work on his reading speed, etc.

As for dental school - which I noticed someone mentioned above - don't worry about me ;). I did above average on the DAT and have a bunch of other goodies that should get me into AT LEAST 1 of my 8 schools that I applied to. We'll see.

So far, he's been put on hold by one DO school, and is filling out secondaries for a couple others. He applied on day 2 of the DPM application cycle, so I hope that helps.

Thanks for your honest input, guys. :thumbup:

When you say put on hold do you mean waitlisted

When you say put on hold do you mean waitlisted

I don't think a "hold" is the same as "waitlist." I also doubt that you can get waitlisted into a DO school with a 2 on verbal.

I don't think a "hold" is the same as "waitlist." I also doubt that you can get waitlisted into a DO school with a 2 on verbal.

i was thinking that too lol but just wanted to clarify

Now my question is where do I get a girl like you :love:

On hold is not the same as being wait listed. I can tell you that an MCAT score below 24 will get you screened out by a lot of DO schools. I applied to DO schools late last year (with a DDS) and a 9 in the verbal and was wait listed. On hold usually means they are waiting for updated grades/mcat scores - sort of like giving you a chance to redeem yourself.