another "what are my chances" "where can I go" thread

Orientaddled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
posted this in the pre-allo but it probably fits here

where can I go with a 1940 SAT (2 trys), 27 ACT (1 try)
a 4.3 weighted cum gpa
an associates of arts
200+ volunteer hours
and a club officer of two honor societies
hispanic-white male
graduating from a Florida high school
<20k annual income, we're pretty poor so I'm not sure how I'll pay for university
qualify for bright futures & pell grant, don't really know about any other scholarships I can take
probably not going to be a pre-med major or a biology major so *top pre-med* programs don't really interest me, I'm probably going to study Econ, Botany,Materials Science, or Entomology/Nematology

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are very high and you can go damn near anywhere at this stage. That being said, in-state tuition is probably cheaper so it might be a good idea to look at Florida colleges, also there is always the community college for 2 years and then transfer to university to finish UG route to save quite a bit of cash. Hopefully some of those credits you have now are applicable to whatever major you want.
Scholarships are kind of annoying but you can find them everywhere. Online is a good place to start looking, but look everywhere. Seriously, even some clubs, religious groups, restaurants (no typo), etc have scholarships. If you're determined to work hard to find them it's challenging but entirely possible to completely pay off college with scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get US News college compass, go here (list of national universities sorted by 25-75th percentile SAT intervals) and go down the list until you start to see places where your SAT CR+M are in the school ranges. Skip schools that don't interest you for whatever reason (bad location, too big, etc) and you'll have a very good rough list of schools in no time!

Get US News college compass, go here (list of national universities sorted by 25-75th percentile SAT intervals) and go down the list until you start to see places where your SAT CR+M are in the school ranges. Skip schools that don't interest you for whatever reason (bad location, too big, etc) and you'll have a very good rough list of schools in no time!
Alternatively you can look up this info online for free, since cost seems to be a big concern.

Alternatively you can look up this info online for free, since cost seems to be a big concern.
Where can I see a list of that many schools ranked by SAT interval for free??

And of course not that I'd ever condone it...but thanks to the internet "get" doesn't have to mean "pay for" :p

Where can I see a list of that many schools ranked by SAT interval for free??
And of course not that I'd ever condone it...but thanks to the internet "get" doesn't have to mean "pay for" :p
Not all in one list of course.

First OP would have to make a large list of appealing schools. Then narrow down by individually googling for current class profiles.

Yeah that seems backwards to me, you'd discover the universities by the fact that their current class profile is similar to you

Yeah that seems backwards to me, you'd discover the universities by the fact that their current class profile is similar to you
Isn't that the point? To come up with realistic schools?

Edit: Actually, I found a pretty solid full list of average stats online for free. Don't know if it's accurate down to the dot, but its a good place to start: http://www.powerscore.com/sat/help/average_test_scores.cfm

Exactly! If I get a 1950 SAT I have no idea what school names to google to read about places that suit me. I'd have to start by looking for schools with lots of students like me and then read about each one.

Ooh good list, data is a little old but about right. @Orientaddled copy that table into Excel, sort by the ACT column, google some schools where a 27 ACT is within their range!

posted this in the pre-allo but it probably fits here

where can I go with a 1940 SAT (2 trys), 27 ACT (1 try)
a 4.3 weighted cum gpa
an associates of arts
200+ volunteer hours
and a club officer of two honor societies
hispanic-white male
graduating from a Florida high school
<20k annual income, we're pretty poor so I'm not sure how I'll pay for university
qualify for bright futures & pell grant, don't really know about any other scholarships I can take
probably not going to be a pre-med major or a biology major so *top pre-med* programs don't really interest me, I'm probably going to study Econ, Botany,Materials Science, or Entomology/Nematology

You said you don't wanna be pre-med... do you want to be in medicine at all? You are posted in a medical forum...
Anyways, go to state school and get a better scholarship. With better grades, you can do any post-grad program.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting into college. I got a lower SAT score and had a lower GPA (~3.5/~1900? I can't remember my SAT score exactly) and went 9 for 11 with 2 waitlists at reaches (BU, NYU). I even got into a school that a ~3.65/~2060 and no I'm not a URM. Somehow got a scholarship too ahah. Don't apply too top heavy.