Another "what are my chances"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for this post, but this is another one of those, "what are my chances" threads. My advisor told me that I probably won't get into the top peds programs (CHOP, Boston Childrens, Hopkins etc) and I wanted some more opinions. I'm planning to match into peds and pursue a cardiology fellowship.

Here are my stats:

STEP 1: 254
Clerkships: Peds=High Pass, OB=Pass, Surg=Pass, Medicine=Pass, Psych=Pass, Neuro=Honors, Medicine SubI=Honors, Emergency Medicine=High Pass
Lots of research with 2 publications, great LOR's, Lots of extracurriculars

My clerkship grades are definitely the weak point in my application, but my school is somewhat known for being tough for grading. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see what the big problem is. Strong step, great letters and published research? What is it with advisors who tell people they can't do stuff? (yes, I have an issue with this. :p )

Apply where ever your heart desires. Of course have a reasonable range of applications, but I'd advise that to anyone under almost any circumstances.

:luck:

as a fellow 2007-08 applicant, i am not the most knowledgable, but i strongly agree with texas rose. I have the advantage of having a fairly optomistic, but realistic advisor. i say go for those top programs if that's what you want. at worst, they don't invite you to interview, at least you tried then. just apply to all ranges of programs that are acceptable to you. i tell myself every day that i am worrying entirely too much, and next year i'll be able to sit back and laugh at how stressed i am now.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 254 Step 1 in Pediatrics??? Get out of here. You can basically go where you want to my friend. Sounds like you need a new advisor.

No offense to this, but your advisor is a douchebag. One of my advisors did her residency at CHOP and fellowship at Boston Children's and said SPECIFICALLY that they take into consideration the entire applicant. I cannot imagine you wouldn't get an interview at these places.

After you get the interview, from what I've been told, everyone is pretty much on the same page in regards to competitiveness. Granted, this is all coming from someone who is also applying, but Ive talked to several people and they all echo the same thing: shoot high, the worst they can say is "no"

Your board scores are great. Peds is a specialty that looks at the whole applicant. Apply and see what happens.

Good luck! :luck:

With a 254 Step 1 in Pediatrics??? Get out of here. You can basically go where you want to my friend. Sounds like you need a new advisor.

I don't disagree with you...but I don't know...just to throw out there...the other side of the idea that 'apply wherever you want in peds because they look at the whole applicant and scores aren't everything' is that high scores might not actually guarantee much of anything, as they might in a competitive specialty in which lower scores will literally completely put you out of the running.

I don't know this to be true, but it seems like it might be...any thoughts?

I don't disagree with you...but I don't know...just to throw out there...the other side of the idea that 'apply wherever you want in peds because they look at the whole applicant and scores aren't everything' is that high scores might not actually guarantee much of anything, as they might in a competitive specialty in which lower scores will literally completely put you out of the running.

I don't know this to be true, but it seems like it might be...any thoughts?

Be as that may with "the whole applicant" thing, a step score like that opens the doors to the more competitive places like the OP originally named. I would just assume the OP also has the other intangibles especially since he/she is going into PEDS.

Thanks for all the comments, they make me feel a bit better, I'm still not holding my breath for an interview at some places though. Good luck to all of you, hopefully I will see many of you on the interview trail.