Another "What Prep Books Should I Buy?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d.stone13

Reaction score
I'm sure you are all tired of reading these types of threads but I am short on time and after reading countless threads I am growing frustrated with the number of study options out there. I'm also freaking out that I have no time to prepare and I have wasted a long time just trying to select what to buy.

Most of the topics should be review since I have a bachelors in Human Biology, another in Public Health, and I was 2 classes shy of a third in Chemistry. However, it's been a year since I graduated so things are not fresh. I likely will register for September 14th to allow myself the maximum time to study. I plan to buy the AAMC materials for that first intro test and then the last few weeks before my test but I need to find books to help refresh my knowledge. I don't have a lot of cash since I am moving across the country later this summer for an MPH program in Michigan.

8-12 hour days don't scare me - I loaded up on classes during my undergraduate. I am just worried I don't have much time and I don't know what resources would fit my needs even after hours of research.

1. I want to make sure I am correct - scores should be good for me to apply next summer (2020) for the 2021 school year?
2. I am looking for cheap study help - especially with the cost of the MCAT and moving we have very little cash to spend on materials. Any ideas?
3. If I hit hard over the next two months (with my background) is it feasible to do well? I think I have built up this test to be a mountain.
4. If I don't do well in September does anyone see any good options for a retake next year, especially considering I will be starting a heavy graduate load starting September?

(Edit) I missed this section when copying from Word as I reordered my post.

I am looking at EK or Kaplan complete sets used and coupling with TPR MCAT workbook. I've read that EK can be too broad and some of its sections (Psych for example) are so much so that they are missing things. I am leaning to Kaplan but I am unsure. I have dismissed TBR for content review due to comments that it is very in depth and takes awhile to get through.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've dismissed the best resource available for the sciences. Success comes from doing passages. You should rethink what will help you the most.

You've dismissed the best resource available for the sciences. Success comes from doing passages. You should rethink what will help you the most.

Do you mean that I should solely practice passages? I'm pretty sure I need at least a brush up in all of the topics and a more in depth coverage of psych. Content review was going to be a smaller focus - I wanted to do a lot of practice which is why I was considering the TPR workbook package, AAMC, and Khan's practice problems/passages in addition to a content review book. If I had 5 months I would get TBR and slam their practice problems but I just don't think I have time to wade through their books. Am I way off base?

Do you mean that I should solely practice passages? I'm pretty sure I need at least a brush up in all of the topics and a more in depth coverage of psych. Content review was going to be a smaller focus - I wanted to do a lot of practice which is why I was considering the TPR workbook package, AAMC, and Khan's practice problems/passages in addition to a content review book. If I had 5 months I would get TBR and slam their practice problems but I just don't think I have time to wade through their books. Am I way off base?

TBR has the best reputation for B/B and C/P.

Why are you shooting for a September 2019 MCAT? Are you planning to apply (late) this cycle?

TBR has the best reputation for B/B and C/P.

Why are you shooting for a September 2019 MCAT? Are you planning to apply (late) this cycle?

I will be applying next summer. I won't have a lot of time with my graduate load, job, and research during the school year. Additionally, next summer I will be doing a full time internship which makes it really hard to get my application ready on top of studying well.

(Edit) I wanted to start earlier this summer but my job finished later than I thought and then we had to go out of town last minute. I'm kicking myself for not putting any time in while I was working the last few months though.