Another what should I do about C's on transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chialis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I retake courses that I got a "C" in or take the same courses at another institution and get a better grade? When you retake a course does the better grade replace the C and boost your GPA? How does pharmacy school look at all of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask in the prepharmacy forum what pharm schools do.

For allopathic med schools,via their application service AMCAS, a retaken grade is averaged into your application GPA, just as if you took another course. There is no reason to retake any courses except the prerequisites if you got a bad grade. An exception would be if you got a C in the first course of a series, then an A in the second course, you probably don't need to repeat the prerequisite course unless you didn't understand it well enough to kill the MCAT. If you want to retake, it could be at the same school, if they allow it, or at another institution. All transcripts must be submitted when you apply.

Only osteopathic med schools have a grade replacement policy. To do this, the repeat course must have the same number of credit hours, but it can be taken anywhere.