ANS drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amic1283

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school doesn't cover these at all, and I know they are pretty highly tested on... I just reviewed cardio and realized my lack of knowledge with alpha/beta agonists/antags... I have been using the Brenner's flashcards but feel like I need a good overview (actual READING rather than the lists in FA) of the entire autonomic nervous system. Anyone know of a good source for this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Lippincotts is the best book for OTHER topics, but this is the one section where BRS Pharm does a nice job in explaining it. Didn't find BRS Pharm good for much else, though, so I'd borrow a copy from a friend for a couple of days if I were you. Hope this helps:)

Read Kaplan Pharmacology cover to cover the day before pharm shelf ...result = 800 on NBME shelf (99%)

I haven't touched First Aid pharm, but between class notes and Kaplan I thought I was fine. After reading Kaplan pharm, I'd recommend it to any one for as a good review source. Make flash cards and review them periodically.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my school doesn't cover these at all, and I know they are pretty highly tested on... I just reviewed cardio and realized my lack of knowledge with alpha/beta agonists/antags... I have been using the Brenner's flashcards but feel like I need a good overview (actual READING rather than the lists in FA) of the entire autonomic nervous system. Anyone know of a good source for this? Thanks!

Heck, you could probably learn this from something like wikipedia. The key to understanding autonomics is:

1.) Where the receptors are located and what ions do they conduct.
2.) How the neurotransmitter is processed, i.e. what are the precursors and enzymes involved in synthesis.
3.) Metabolites, breakdown products, and what does the reuptake, packaging, or breakdown (COMT, MAO, acetylcholinesterase, etc.) at the synapse and inside the terminal.
4.) What drugs act pre-synaptically and in the synapse.
5.) Post-synaptic receptors and distinguishing what drugs act on them (e.g. hexamethonium acts on ganglionic AChR whereas curare, succinylcholine, and alpha-bungarotoxin act at neuromuscular AChR).
6.) Post-receptor signaling: Gs vs Gi vs Gq.

Heck, you could probably learn this from something like wikipedia. The key to understanding autonomics is:

1.) Where the receptors are located and what ions do they conduct.
2.) How the neurotransmitter is processed, i.e. what are the precursors and enzymes involved in synthesis.
3.) Metabolites, breakdown products, and what does the reuptake, packaging, or breakdown (COMT, MAO, acetylcholinesterase, etc.) at the synapse and inside the terminal.
4.) What drugs act pre-synaptically and in the synapse.
5.) Post-synaptic receptors and distinguishing what drugs act on them (e.g. hexamethonium acts on ganglionic AChR whereas curare, succinylcholine, and alpha-bungarotoxin act at neuromuscular AChR).
6.) Post-receptor signaling: Gs vs Gi vs Gq.

Agreed, autonomics are simple once you get these basics down. After that First Aid is a good review, as is Roadmap Pharm.

Lippincott's confused me when I already understood it, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.