SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Answer me this pertinent question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JulianCrane, Jan 17, 2002.

1. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention 10+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2001
    So why are pre-med courses in the summer considered easier than the regular course during the year?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Who says they are?

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Charlottesville
    I think the general reason that admission committees frown upon summer science courses is that they're not taken along with a typical full course load. It's not necessarily that the class itself is easier, but rather that it's easier to do well because you're not concentrating on four other classes at the same time. Thus, an A in a summer course might not look as impressive as an A during the normal school year.

5. Gotrob

Gotrob Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Wisconsin
    You take fewer classes in the summer, the classes are longer and the tests are closer together (you dont have time to forget what you just had in lecture).

6. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Well, that may be the case sometimes, but I took a whole year of O-Chem one summer and a whole year of physics the next, and let me tell you, it was intense. I've received no questions about it at interviews.

7. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I agree with SMW (btw, how on earth do you have 1500 post since 7/2001!) I took 9 credits worth of physics in two months, held a full-time job, and also volunteered 20hr/wk and thought it was extremely intense.

8. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    MSU-CHM
    I have never heard of any med schools frowning on summer courses taken at your university.

9. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Indiana
    In the summer of 2001 I took cell bio, genetics, physics II and advanced writing (total of 14 credits). I got all A's and I really hope a admission committee is not going to downplay that next year. Which is tougher - taking that in 17 weeks during the fall or 10 during the summer?

10. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak

11. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak

12. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 29, 2001
    California
    i took the dreaded physics over the summer and none has cared so far. do it! it frees up time during the year to do more volunteer work, research, etc.

13. at this point it's just repetitive, but i did the physics over summer too. 10 credits worth, and it paid off bigtime. nobody cares, i wasn't asked about it last year at all (had 3 interviews--TKO)

14. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Kentucky

15. by the way the subject line for this thread is pretty crappy. plus it's borderline annoying. you answer me buddy!!

16. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak

17. classes easier in the summer...I don't think so. At least in Physiology they weren't. This past summer's grades were the worst in the past ten years. It depends on the class and everythign else.

The only thign different abous summer is it's faster paced,a nd all my profs have tried to keep the same abmout of material in the class.