Answer me this pertinent question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So why are pre-med courses in the summer considered easier than the regular course during the year?

Members don't see this ad.

Who says they are?

I think the general reason that admission committees frown upon summer science courses is that they're not taken along with a typical full course load. It's not necessarily that the class itself is easier, but rather that it's easier to do well because you're not concentrating on four other classes at the same time. Thus, an A in a summer course might not look as impressive as an A during the normal school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You take fewer classes in the summer, the classes are longer and the tests are closer together (you dont have time to forget what you just had in lecture).

Well, that may be the case sometimes, but I took a whole year of O-Chem one summer and a whole year of physics the next, and let me tell you, it was intense. I've received no questions about it at interviews.

I agree with SMW (btw, how on earth do you have 1500 post since 7/2001!) I took 9 credits worth of physics in two months, held a full-time job, and also volunteered 20hr/wk and thought it was extremely intense.

I have never heard of any med schools frowning on summer courses taken at your university.

In the summer of 2001 I took cell bio, genetics, physics II and advanced writing (total of 14 credits). I got all A's and I really hope a admission committee is not going to downplay that next year. Which is tougher - taking that in 17 weeks during the fall or 10 during the summer?

Originally posted by Dr. Kermit:
•I took 9 credits worth of physics in two months, held a full-time job, and also volunteered 20hr/wk and thought it was extremely intense.•••

Geez, I guess!! All I did was take 15 quarter units each summer, and it almost killed me. Well, in fact, I did get mono during physics, but managed to finish and do all right. I could never have worked and volunteered as well. But I'm not a natural at sciences.

Originally posted by Dr. Kermit:
•btw, how on earth do you have 1500 post since 7/2001! •••

Uh, hate to admit it, but I'm not working or going to school at the moment. Have just been keeping track of my apps, going to interviews, and playing in my rock band! :cool: I will start substitute teaching next week, so don't yell at me, please!

i took the dreaded physics over the summer and none has cared so far. do it! it frees up time during the year to do more volunteer work, research, etc.

at this point it's just repetitive, but i did the physics over summer too. 10 credits worth, and it paid off bigtime. nobody cares, i wasn't asked about it last year at all (had 3 interviews--TKO)

Originally posted by SMW:
•I will start substitute teaching next week, so don't yell at me, please!•••

Me too! I'm not sure how I'll like it, but it pays good and is extremely flexible.

Also, I was never asked about my classes I took over the summer (Calc I and Gen Chem II)

by the way the subject line for this thread is pretty crappy. plus it's borderline annoying. you answer me buddy!!

Originally posted by Jamier2:
• it pays good and is extremely flexible.
•••

Exactly. I couldn't figure out what else I could do that would pay decently and still allow me to go to 8 interviews between Jan. 29 and Feb. 28 and hopefully a few more after those.

classes easier in the summer...I don't think so. At least in Physiology they weren't. This past summer's grades were the worst in the past ten years. It depends on the class and everythign else.

The only thign different abous summer is it's faster paced,a nd all my profs have tried to keep the same abmout of material in the class.