Mentioning acceptances in Letter of Interest - ANSWERED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maindoctor42

Reaction score
Dear SDN community,

I am so grateful to have a couple acceptances that are geographically close to each other, and recently had another interview at a nearby school. I really loved my interview at this school, but as I have not yet visited or had an idea of financials, I don't think that I am ready to commit to a Letter of Intent. However, is it appropriate to write a letter that I have a few acceptances nearby, and I am seriously considering this school over them if I am accepted? While they are similar caliber schools, I am not sure that I am comfortable with name-dropping. If this is inappropriate or disrespectful, then I will absolutely not write this letter.

Thank you for your time! Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

imo i don’t think a “i’ll think about you” letter is that strong. i would worry about them protecting their yield and just not offering an A. a real advisor may say different so defer to their advice, but if you put yourself in their shoes, would you want to accept someone who says “i have acceptances elsewhere but i’d really like one from y’all to add to my consideration?”

i’d wait until you can commit to a letter of intent

Reactions: 1 users
imo i don’t think a “i’ll think about you” letter is that strong. i would worry about them protecting their yield and just not offering an A. a real advisor may say different so defer to their advice, but if you put yourself in their shoes, would you want to accept someone who says “i have acceptances elsewhere but i’d really like one from y’all to add to my consideration?”

i’d wait until you can commit to a letter of intent
Thanks so much for the input! I will wait for the outcome then. I was leaning towards not writing it, but figured I would ask. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would this school not go "Great, we're glad you have some acceptances! We can remove you from our interview list!" with a letter like this?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Are we taking about the school you just interviewed with? Did you send thank you notes?
Yes, the school I just interviewed with that I really like. Just uploaded a thank you note, but I did not mention anything about A's in the area that I have.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't see how it would be to your benefit to mention other acceptances in the area, especially if you're not communicating a clear "I would choose you over them with no question" message.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't see how it would be to your benefit to mention other acceptances in the area, especially if you're not communicating a clear "I would choose you over them with no question" message.
That's what I figured, thank you!

If they want you already or you would have been relatively high on the waitlist, I think it should help