Anterograde vs Retrograde amnesia and Proactive vs Retroactive Interference

Started by arc5005
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arc5005

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I seem to get these mixed up... anyone have a good way to remember these? Any useful Mnemonics or acronyms or any suggestions please? I'd hate to miss an easy point because of a question where I stupidly mix them up.
 
Proactive interference I remember as putting the wrong year after January 1st of the new year! 🙂 and of course by knowing this one I automatically know the other must be the opposite.

And retro = back in time. Can't remember old memories.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I seem to get these mixed up... anyone have a good way to remember these? Any useful Mnemonics or acronyms or any suggestions please? I'd hate to miss an easy point because of a question where I stupidly mix them up.

I just always think of the Bourne Identity being a “retro” movie, i.e. Jason Bourne has retrograde amnesia.
 
Retrograde - retro - old - forgetting old memories
Anterograde - anter(ior) - front/forward - forgetting new memories/memories you'll make going forward

Proactive - when old memories proceed to actively interfere with new memories
Retroactive - when new memories go retro/back in time and actively interfere with old memories