anti-depressant Rx

Started by gaba101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if these Rx have to come from a psychiatrist (who'd normally prescribe them)? i don't see why they can't come from a general practitioner.
 
Sure - an antidepressant can be prescribed by anyone when it is within their scope of practice - an OB/GYN, neurologist, IM, FM, pain specialist, peds, PMR, etc.....

Very few drugs are speciality specific
 
Sure - an antidepressant can be prescribed by anyone when it is within their scope of practice - an OB/GYN, neurologist, IM, FM, pain specialist, peds, PMR, etc.....

Very few drugs are speciality specific

Thanks. That's what I thought. I shouldn't second guess myself anymore 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although a GP can prescribe anti-depressants, the practice is controversial. Some feel that family practice docs are not adequately trained to treat depression. Other's feel that anti-depressants are over-prescribed and GPs are to blame for that. For me, I think I'd want at least an initial evaluation from a psychiatrist if I were going to take psychotropic drugs, but that may not be possible for everyone.
 
Depends on how defensive your PCP wants to be. My doc won't prescribe benzos, or any pain meds beyond tramadol. He refers out for anything more. Some docs don't feel too comfortable handling psych meds, though maintenance of therapy might be different.
 
drugcats.jpg
 
I don't know but the 2nd cat from the right looks like he's on Sinemet or some drug that raises dopamine levels! psycho cat 🙂