I remember when...I verified my first RX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was the first RX y'all put your name on?! Curious!

Ranitidine 150mg 1bid #180

PDX DOS! Memories

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't tell you. I do remember that it had a bull**** category 1 severity DDI that I had to override though

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t remember my first script but I do remember my first error. I mixed up amlodipine-atorvastatin and amlodipine-benazopril. Super nice old lady. Thankfully she wasn’t harmed.

I don’t remember my first script but I do remember my first error. I mixed up amlodipine-atorvastatin and amlodipine-benazopril. Super nice old lady. Thankfully she wasn’t harmed.
mine was misreading a poorly written rx for azopt instead of cosopt.

I don't remember what my first rx checked was, but my first C2 was duragesic patches

Suboxone film. Don't remember directions or qty.

Okay, 1986, Graduate Intern, had the letter that says I passed NAPLEX in my back pocket. Working at Treasury Drugs, a chain that later became Revco. Very affluent area. RETIN A was all the rage for housewives for wrinkle reduction. My first Rx, I questioned it because it was an acne medication. Well after the 50th Retin A Rx, I figured out off-label use!!!

My first week at work, some scary guy walks in, walks right behind the counter. He shows me his badge and I saw his gun. No formal introduction needed. He was a Georgia State Drugs and Narcotics inspector. Very well known in Georgia, Rick Allen! He asked for my license, I whipped out the board letter from my back pocket. He says "son, you are so lucky! Most new pharmacist don't get to meet me for years!"
He wanted all the scripts written by a specific MD. Took whatever he wanted and gave me a hand written receipt.
He retired a few years ago.

What do you do that requires the license?
Nothing I have ever done for a job has fallen under the pharmacy practice act of whatever state I've lived in. At this point the license is a security blanket more than anything else - perhaps the next job will require me to be licensed. I keep one license - from a state where I lived three states ago - because the license is an original license, it is pretty inexpensive, and the CE requirements aren't excessively cumbersome.

Reactions: 1 users

Mine was an amoxicillin 500 vs 875. Patient was a old hospital pharmacist who went on to lecture me that I should always be suspicious about dispensing 500 mg amox given only bid. Then she suggested I apply for a position at her hospital.

Nothing I have ever done for a job has fallen under the pharmacy practice act of whatever state I've lived in. At this point the license is a security blanket more than anything else - perhaps the next job will require me to be licensed. I keep one license - from a state where I lived three states ago - because the license is an original license, it is pretty inexpensive, and the CE requirements aren't excessively cumbersome.
Do you mind sharing what the actual job is? Not trying to pry or anything but it sounds interesting.

I honestly don’t remember, but I do remember that the only tech that I was suppose to have called out on me

I cant remember my first one, just the RXM who let the techs have their own schedule rather than evolving their schedule around store hours. So glad to leave when I could. Moved on, same RXM constantly hunted me down asking if there was a position open I was at....in my head I was like really? Not going to happen.

Man, I wish I would have thought to write this down and remember, but I have no idea what was the first RX I verified.. I'm not even sure what was the first mistake I made, I think it was mixing up Cardizem SR or LA or something like that....I vaguely remember that mistake from my first year of practicing, but can't say that it was definitely the first mistake.
My first week at work, some scary guy walks in, walks right behind the counter. He shows me his badge and I saw his gun. No formal introduction needed. He was a Georgia State Drugs and Narcotics inspector. Very well known in Georgia, Rick Allen! He asked for my license, I whipped out the board letter from my back pocket. He says "son, you are so lucky! Most new pharmacist don't get to meet me for years!"
He wanted all the scripts written by a specific MD. Took whatever he wanted and gave me a hand written receipt.
He retired a few years ago.

I did have a similar experience to that. First week I'm licensed, my pharmacist boss takes off on vacation. At some point that week the state inspector shows up. Very routine, asking just to see CII records, etc. I have no idea where anything is kept. I ask the techs, they don't really know. Once suggest a cabinet, we get in, and pull out CII records dated 10 years earlier. Surely someone had done a CII inventory more recently? I was freaking out, but state inspector was pretty understanding that I was newbie. Turns out the CII inventory records were in my bosses locked office, which we learned after he came back from vacation.

• Haha