Anti-wrinkle cream, and other cosmetics

Started by Lion-O
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lion-O

Sight beyond sight.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the interplay between professional dermatology, and the creams/lotions we always see advertised? As someone completely unfamiliar with dermatology literature, are there experiments looking at the efficacy of skin-care products and their "anti-wrinkle/aging" properties?

As a med student, and someone interested in evidence-based everything, it irks me a little to see commercials and store displays touting products that I doubt have any effectiveness. Unless, of course, I'm wrong.

Do you guys recommend or prescribe such things? Clearly, there's tons of money to be made in cosmetics, so I could see the temptation to foray that direction. But what I wonder most is if there's any scientific credibility to all of this.