Cosmetics fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermlight

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m a PGY-2 dermatology resident. From this year of residency I’ve learned that I really enjoy the hands on procedural aspect of dermatology (non-Mohs). My program gives some exposure to fillers and lasers but not to the level where I would feel entirely comfortable doing these procedures after graduation.

From searching this forum it seems like most dermatologists in practice pick up these skills on the job or through conferences/seminars/rep trainings. Is this the most advisable route? How common is it to pick up these skills from other derms in your practice?

What kind of person should just try to learn in practice as opposed to pursuing a cosmetics fellowship (which I have also heard mixed reviews about as some people report they were not directly taught by directors either but just had access to multiple devices and products)?

Thank you for any help and guidance. My program lacks mentors in this department so I’m feeling a bit lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can learn it on the job, but your better course of action is to actively invest in your education on your own.

Social media has fantastic injectors, and many of them teach courses. After a while and getting to know the community you will realize which courses are legitimate and worth it and who the real injectors are. Arthur Swift has a good video series on injection technique, although newer thinking is that his one up–one over technique in the temple maybe should be replaced with a cannula.

Do the cosmetic stuff at the Aad. Learn anatomy from Cotofana. Read anatomy papers and injection technique papers and watch videos. And then put yourself in situations to practice, look for community attendings in your area who may be willing to let you come by periodically throughout residency to learn from them. Aesthetic companies will do their own trainings if you ask them to.

If you want to be really good at lasers, a fellowship is not a bad idea. Like the Rox fellowship. I probably would not do a fellowship just for injectables

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

I’m a PGY-2 dermatology resident. From this year of residency I’ve learned that I really enjoy the hands on procedural aspect of dermatology (non-Mohs). My program gives some exposure to fillers and lasers but not to the level where I would feel entirely comfortable doing these procedures after graduation.

From searching this forum it seems like most dermatologists in practice pick up these skills on the job or through conferences/seminars/rep trainings. Is this the most advisable route? How common is it to pick up these skills from other derms in your practice?

What kind of person should just try to learn in practice as opposed to pursuing a cosmetics fellowship (which I have also heard mixed reviews about as some people report they were not directly taught by directors either but just had access to multiple devices and products)?

Thank you for any help and guidance. My program lacks mentors in this department so I’m feeling a bit lost.
Assuming you're going into private practice - I'd just look for mentorship/training opportunities from your future employer. Many will offer you some on-the-job training for injectables, laser, etc. that they already have in the office because they want you to use them. I think coming out of residency - it's probably good to concentrate on general medical dermatology first and slowly add in cosmetic patients once you're comfortable. Your first couple months is just learning how your new system works and trying to figure out how to be a doctor without an attending to staff with - wouldn't recommend any cosmetics in this time period other than mentorship/training. I'd also recommend starting simple with neuromodulators (e.g. botox), then consider adding filler, PDL laser. And, once you're comfortable with those, consider resurfacing lasers (e.g. CO2, fraxel, etc.).

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to be really good at lasers, a fellowship is not a bad idea. Like the Rox fellowship. I probably would not do a fellowship just for injectables
Past laser fellows did not appear too satisfied with their clinical training in that one year... This is of course not a reflection of Dr. Anderson.

OP i was in a similar position as you last year. I rotated at a few programs which had both Mohs and Laser fellowships (separate fellowships). I heard the laser fellow being referred to as the "Research Fellow", which ultimately led me to decide against the Laser fellowship. Another major issue with the Laser fellowship as well is that you are trained to those few specific device, which you may or may not have access to once you are out in practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users