Antibiotic Resistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
TuffyDMD said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I think I can offer some advice. During my shadowing experience I noticed that my dentist would give vankomiacin? IV prior to every procedure. He said that this would reduce the amount of bacteria deposited into the blood stream with minor soft tissue trauma. I don't see why you wouldn't give them for all patients since the amount of bacteremia caused by the events you named above is the same for toothbrushing and flossing.

Dear TuffyDMD,

This is really shocking news to me! :wow: I don't know if all doctors/dentists are aware of this but given my microbiology background and being good friends with a microbiologist who does a lot of research on antibiotic resistant bacteria, this was relatively surprising to hear. What kind of dentist were you shadowing? Oral Surgeon? Generalist? Which country? Sorry, I don't mean to discredit the dentist but there is presently a very BIG problem (especially in hospitals) with certain antibiotics such as VRE (Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci) and MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) The use of Vancomycin is VERY restricted, especially in the hospital environment where there are outbreaks of cases of VRE. There are similar problems with MRSA.

The mode of resistance...now that's a whole other domain-beyond the scope of this forum. Spontaneous DNA mutations, plasmid acquisition from other bacteria (the most serious problem),transformation etc. stuff which most of you may have been taught in your basic microbiology courses.

Antibiotics should be used very JUDICIOUSLY!!!! Microbes are damn smart!!!! If the world wide over prescription of antibiotics keeps going on, there may come a period in the future in which antibiotics simply don't work anymore! :eek: :scared:

Think folks! Be careful with those prescriptions!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I wholeheartedly agree! I don't believe it. Vancomycin (especially IV!!) should not be used lightly. It is a very powerful antibiotic with serious side effects. What happens if the patient has an allergic reaction to it? DIC?

injudiscious use of antibiotics is certainly more here in the US.. as compared to other parts of the world... vanco IV for a simple procedure.. !!! i think the body defence is adequate to take care of simple procedures... heavy antibiotics should be used judisciously.. just because we have to power to prescibe .. shouldnt misuse them!!!