Anxiety and reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing increased anxiety going into their reapplication year? I was waitlisted last year and missed an acceptance by 3 WLs spots. :( The admssions people even said they normally accept 270-290 students/year the previous 4 years. They only accepted 220 this year.

I have 60% of my applications complete as of the end of July, but I am struggling through the remaining few but recently my anxiety of not getting any interviews or acceptances has been discouraging me. Especially after seeing alots of people getting interviews. Its gotten to the point that for a week I have constant nightmares about rejections/no interviews/etc. Anyone else feeling amplified anxiety or discouraged going into their reapplication year?:(

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing everything that you can do. The process is far from over and it would be unfair to allow yourself to feel beat up or anxious for the next several months. Remember, freaking out about what you can't control serves you no purpose.
I know, easier said that done, and I'd be misleading if I pretended like I'm not going a little crazy too. Best thing: distractions! Work, volunteer, study, whatever you do, do a lot of it!
Or you can do what I did and get a puppy... now that is a busy job.
Try not to compare yourself too much to everybody else. It changes nothing except to make you question yourself and that will just add to your stress.

OP I'm in a very similar position to you. Had 2 interviews and 2 waitlists last year. Got my app in June 1st this year and 30 secondaries in within a day of receiving them this year. And still, seems like everyone around me has interviews already and all I have is two rejections. It's pretty demoralizing.

Members don't see this ad :)
30 secondaries in within a day of receiving them this year

Wow, that is hardcore. Good luck and props to you guys. It's only August so far, keep your spirits up :luck:. I just got my final rejections from last year, so things should be moving along soon.

Just to update, got my first invite of this season today. Takes a lotttttt of stress off me :) now for that elusive acceptance.

Last edited:
I feel you on this completely. Last year seemed like I was much more relaxed sitting at home waiting to hear back from schools and working. This year every time I hear another interview goes out I freak out a bit more. I've turned in 19 secondaries, 2 more being submitted when I get paid tomorrow. So far I've gotten 2 DO interviews and 4 pre-secondary rejections (ouch, but expected). All I know is when I finally hear the "we'd like to offer you a seat in our class of 2015" and see an acceptance letter it is going to be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

I feel you on this completely. Last year seemed like I was much more relaxed sitting at home waiting to hear back from schools and working. This year every time I hear another interview goes out I freak out a bit more. I've turned in 19 secondaries, 2 more being submitted when I get paid tomorrow. So far I've gotten 2 DO interviews and 4 pre-secondary rejections (ouch, but expected). All I know is when I finally hear the "we'd like to offer you a seat in our class of 2015" and see an acceptance letter it is going to be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Congrats on the interviews.. maybe someday in the next month or so I will have some to share.. >_< this anxiety is killing me... I am sure once I get the rest of my secondaries in, I will feel better though because it will just be wait and see...

Congrats on the interviews.. maybe someday in the next month or so I will have some to share.. >_< this anxiety is killing me... I am sure once I get the rest of my secondaries in, I will feel better though because it will just be wait and see...

Hang in there and get to work finishing up the secondaries. Thats all you can do. I'm sure your interviews will come. If I wasn't so damn addicted I'd leave SDN for a while so I wasn't constantly tracking which schools I applied to were handing out interviews.

Hang in there and get to work finishing up the secondaries. Thats all you can do. I'm sure your interviews will come. If I wasn't so damn addicted I'd leave SDN for a while so I wasn't constantly tracking which schools I applied to were handing out interviews.

Currently, I have an unhealthy obsession with SDN because all I do is look and see how many people have interviews and get depressed and anxious because I have none. I think I am going to have my boyfriend block it... like I am some little kid who needs their internet monitored.. so I can't obsess.. lol

I sympathize... the schools are breaking my bank and MY MIND. Argh. I get so sad when I see the little (1) pop up on my email account only to find out that it's like some useless email (aka not an interview) that I don't care about. haha.

I sympathize... the schools are breaking my bank and MY MIND. Argh. I get so sad when I see the little (1) pop up on my email account only to find out that it's like some useless email (aka not an interview) that I don't care about. haha.

I know the feeling.. :-( I am finishing my final few secondaries and trying not to cry about having no interviews... I feel like reapplying back to back is slowly sucking my soul out of my body. lol hopefully I will still have some left by this time next year. Good luck..

I know the feeling.. :-( I am finishing my final few secondaries and trying not to cry about having no interviews... I feel like reapplying back to back is slowly sucking my soul out of my body. lol hopefully I will still have some left by this time next year. Good luck..

The bad thing about applying to so many schools is that you get that many more rejections. I got 2 rejections right off the bat this year from two schools I was really interested in. :(

Wow the EXACT same thing happened to me!! Last year I interviewed at two MD schools, waitlisted at both, but moved to the 3rd spot on one list!!! It was a real heart breaker, considering that was my top choice too. I know how you feel with the anxiety. :/ But at least you are almost done with all of your applications!! I had to wait until August when they started school to find out that I was rejected (silly me to wait so long), so now I'm playing the catch up game. All we can really do is try our best and show them how much we want it and deserve it!!! Don't give up and I hope you hear good news this time around!

Anyone else experiencing increased anxiety going into their reapplication year? I was waitlisted last year and missed an acceptance by 3 WLs spots. :( The admssions people even said they normally accept 270-290 students/year the previous 4 years. They only accepted 220 this year.

I have 60% of my applications complete as of the end of July, but I am struggling through the remaining few but recently my anxiety of not getting any interviews or acceptances has been discouraging me. Especially after seeing alots of people getting interviews. Its gotten to the point that for a week I have constant nightmares about rejections/no interviews/etc. Anyone else feeling amplified anxiety or discouraged going into their reapplication year?:(

hang on there everyone :)
don't lose hope!!!
best thing i would recommend is not to check sdn everyday

some of the posts by other members might discourage you if you happen to hear that they got interview invites or acceptances...but then again it might be encouraging news :) you might get an invite the next day :D

some of the posts by other members might discourage you if you happen to hear that they got interview invites or acceptances...but then again it might be encouraging news :) you might get an invite the next day :D

The part I made bold will kill you believe it to be true. Little by little it happens. First the constant e-mail checking. Then the keeping e-mail tab open and checking the school threads. Then logging in the school websites...

I think it'll be much healthier to just take whatever comes at you and go with it.

sorry for my post :( didn't mean to make anyone more discouraging.

in the end don't give up everyone!

Reapplicant with 5 interviews this time. There is hope for us "experienced" with this process haha :)

i wish you good luck OGMD :)! your determination leads to success :D

i know all to well what you guys/gals are experiencing...

it feels like the "always a bridesmaid never a bride" syndrome

trust me, it is hard. reapplication is hard....having to go through the process again is HARD.

as a reapplicant who *finally* got in, i can say that you can keep your sanity (barely) if you can try to do the following:

1. put last years cycle behind you. i know easier said than done. but last year was last year and this year is this year.

2. related to that focus on *your* application only. you are you, and you are unique. do whatever you can to make your application the best it can be and try not to obsess over what is happening with everyone else (again i know easier said than done)

3. continue doing addition things to send update letters, etc to your cv and to have additional experiences to talk about. i shadowed more do's after my waitlist and was able to send an additional lor as well as add experiences to my cv.

4. make plans for the "what if". i know this is something that no one likes to think about, but what are you going to do if you do not get in and what are you going to do if you do. research areas to live, commute times, alterante plans...do something concrete to keep your mind busy and not obsess. research smp programs with good linkages and strong retention rates.

5. the hardest thing and perhaps the most important...put in the application and let it go. again...MUCH easier said than done. but once your application is in and you ahve done everything youcan to put forth the best application you can, just let it go. the interview will come if it is going to come, or the rejection will come...or you will just be stuck in no mans land.

one of my good friends told me this year that persistence was the only true talent out there, and i believe her. persistence is a talent and it is something us reapplicants have in spades.

best wishes to you all and may you all have class of 2015 in your signature soon!!!