Anxiety: Any New Meds In The Pipeline.....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Wagner

Reaction score
Maybe something different than benzos, which WORK....or buspirone, which DOESN'T work.....anything new or promising, that has different mechanism of action? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing new in the pipeline as far as i know specifically for anxiety..

Pregabalin, especially for social anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wonder how much better the tolerance/withdrawal of it would be compared to benzos. It seems like we often don't find out until it's tested via widespread use. The "z" drugs were supposed to be an improvement over benzodiazepines.

When are we gonna get some Buspar XR or Lyrica 24hr?

Umm...SSRIs?
Kind of the standard of care, I'd say...
You should talk to my psychiatrist. She said they'll be illegal and the FDA will be shut down for having approved them (I wish I could sound more credible repeating things she says because I know what I say beggars belief; I'm not sure if she's prone to hyperbole or if she really believes it; I do know she is involved in class action lawsuits against manufacturers so maybe she really does believe). She says they're brain damaging and addictive. I was forced off of Paxil, which worked for me. Other doctors I see have noticed my health obsessions worsening after discontinuing (I was taking it for anxiety and OCD). Checking openpayments.cms.gov, I can see why she forced me off and is pushing Trintellix. She gets between $25-50k a year from them in speaking fees and the office is littered with Trintellix brochures. She says Trintellix will fix the brain damage caused by Paxil. Fortunately I can refuse a medicine (I have seen no evidence it works for OCD so I see no point in taking a medicine that is very expensive), although I can't insist on her prescribing the one that worked. I've pleaded with my PCP to prescribe the Paxil to adjunct the other meds she prescribes for me, but he doesn't want to splinter the care, even though he said himself I need to be on an SSRI. I've asked them to talk to each other many times—each says the other never responds.

CBD apparently, according to 1/3 of my patients at least these days.

Reactions: 2 users
You should talk to my psychiatrist. She said they'll be illegal and the FDA will be shut down for having approved them (I wish I could sound more credible repeating things she says because I know what I say beggars belief; I'm not sure if she's prone to hyperbole or if she really believes it; I do know she is involved in class action lawsuits against manufacturers so maybe she really does believe). She says they're brain damaging and addictive. I was forced off of Paxil, which worked for me. Other doctors I see have noticed my health obsessions worsening after discontinuing (I was taking it for anxiety and OCD). Checking openpayments.cms.gov, I can see why she forced me off and is pushing Trintellix. She gets between $25-50k a year from them in speaking fees and the office is littered with Trintellix brochures. She says Trintellix will fix the brain damage caused by Paxil. Fortunately I can refuse a medicine (I have seen no evidence it works for OCD so I see no point in taking a medicine that is very expensive), although I can't insist on her prescribing the one that worked. I've pleaded with my PCP to prescribe the Paxil to adjunct the other meds she prescribes for me, but he doesn't want to splinter the care, even though he said himself I need to be on an SSRI. I've asked them to talk to each other many times—each says the other never responds.

It's one thing to offering patients new medications if symptoms are ongoing and previous treatments haven't worked, but it is absolutely infuriating to hear stories where something that works has been stopped for no good reason.

Can remember a period last year where quite a few new patients had reported instances where they had been stable and well for many years on a moderate dose of an older SSRI, but their psychiatrist had insisted on changing them to something "better" or new which resulted in a relapse. As this doctor was a big name in research and on the speaker circuit, it got me thinking that these patients had been unwittingly been involved in research to their detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.