Anxious for PChem... require for pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2failornot2fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my school doesn't have Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2, we just have Gen Chem. So, in order to complete the year of inorganic chemistry, we have to take PChem. This terrifies me, because everyone else who's afraid is usually told it's ok if they don't do amazingly because it's not required and it's hard. But in my case, it's required.

I didn't do so hot in gen chem (got a B) because my math skills suck. OChem is going fine for me, so I became hopeful. But reading reviews about PChem at my school is terrifying me.

Any advice?

Sorry about the typo in the title! I meant required.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, my school doesn't have Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2, we just have Gen Chem. So, in order to complete the year of inorganic chemistry, we have to take PChem. This terrifies me, because everyone else who's afraid is usually told it's ok if they don't do amazingly because it's not required and it's hard. But in my case, it's required.

I didn't do so hot in gen chem (got a B) because my math skills suck. OChem is going fine for me, so I became hopeful. But reading reviews about PChem at my school is terrifying me.

Any advice?

For my school diff q, calc 3, and lin alg is required for p chem. So work on your math this summer bud

Any advice?

I had to take two semesters of pchem as part of my major program. I definitely struggled though the first semester but here's a few things I found to be helpful:

1. Try your best not to get behind. Some material builds on previous subjects and can become overwhelming if you don't get it all.

2. Take advantage of office hours. I can't stress this one enough. I know this can seem intimidating but it definitely saved me for a couple classes during my undergraduate years. Further, forming a good relationship with a professor could result in an excellent LOR down the line.

3. Ask for help from your classmates / form study groups! This is a great way to learn from others who have a better grasp on the material or learn from teaching others.

4. Use the textbook. This is a good way to learn at your own pace and also is a good source of practice materials

Is the pchem you're taking quantum or thermo? The math pre reqs for each are different so that's why I'm asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any way you can take it at another school and transfer? I'd fail pchem so hard....

Take chem2 at another college or during summer when you travel home or something.

Is the pchem you're taking quantum or thermo? The math pre reqs for each are different so that's why I'm asking.
This.

You will be dealing with various calculations/formulas ... approximations.

When I was enrolled in pchem, we studied and analyzed different theories/concepts in an effort to thoroughly understand the basis of each theory/concept/calculation/formula, including whether the formula (etc.) was valid or not valid -- complex problem-solving skills -- bridging the gap between math and its application to chemistry.

If you ever feel as if you're bewildered or falling behind, go to office hours with professor and TAs. They will help you. Practice questions are useful, too.

Last edited:
Don't take p-Chem. Take Chem 2 over the summer at a state school. You'll be way better off. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

P-Chem is a nightmare, especially quantum (both thermo and quantum were required for my major). See if you can take chem 2 elsewhere.

take over summer somewhere - Pchem is extremely math intensive. good to hear you are doing well in orgo!

I enjoyed PChem, but I'm also a huge chem/math nerd. If you want to really prepare for the course, I would suggest taking differential equations and/or linear algebra to get your computational skills down pat. These classes made all the math super-EZ. If you can't fit some extra math classes into your schedule, then make sure you talk to your Prof & TA, chances are they will be more than happy to help get you up to speed.

I hated P-chem lectures, but P-chem labs were the best lab courses I took during undergrad.

Wouldn't it be frowned up to take gen chem 2 at CC? PChem at UMich (my school) doesn't require any math pre reqs. I've heard that the profs and TAs walk you through the math, but having a good grasp is beneficial.

What I meant by not being good at math in gen chem wasn't basics, like mole to grams or whatever, but more having to keep track of everything through long calculations on a 1.5 hour exam with 25 multiple choice questions that all required long calculations that could easily be messed up (forgetting a decimal, adding a number, etc). In fact, I usually got questions wrong because of calculator errors, which I know is so silly.

Maybe they just call it PChem when in reality it's watered down? It's not for the Chem major, it's for pre-med students. The reviews were often what you'd expect from pre-meds: the course is hard and the professor didn't coddle them for being pre-med. The same reviews were given for OChem and microbiology, both of which are going well for me. But, then again, I'm not a math nerd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't it be frowned up to take gen chem 2 at CC? PChem at UMich (my school) doesn't require any math pre reqs. I've heard that the profs and TAs walk you through the math, but having a good grasp is beneficial.

What I meant by not being good at math in gen chem wasn't basics, like mole to grams or whatever, but more having to keep track of everything through long calculations on a 1.5 hour exam with 25 multiple choice questions that all required long calculations that could easily be messed up (forgetting a decimal, adding a number, etc). In fact, I usually got questions wrong because of calculator errors, which I know is so silly.

Maybe they just call it PChem when in reality it's watered down? It's not for the Chem major, it's for pre-med students. The reviews were often what you'd expect from pre-meds: the course is hard and the professor didn't coddle them for being pre-med. The same reviews were given for OChem and microbiology, both of which are going well for me. But, then again, I'm not a math nerd.

At a cc yes, it's frowned. Not at a 4 year school such as your state school. Take Chem 2 there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Who cares if its 4yr vs cc its one course. Obviously try to find a 4yr state school but do not damage your GPA taking pchem when you don't want to.

Any advice?

Based on my experience, PChem is not terrible. It is quantitative but also conceptual, and I think being able to see the concepts behind the math is important. At my school, although the exams are hard for PChem, many are curved.

Any advice?

I have to take it as I am a Chem major. If you seriously that worried, you should take CHE 2 at any state school. It doesn't necessarily matter which school it is. I would go to the one that is the easiest, but that is just me.

Who cares if its 4yr vs cc its one course. Obviously try to find a 4yr state school but do not damage your GPA taking pchem when you don't want to.
are you kidding? That looks very bad taking a generally known hard class at a CC. Major red flag and shows that you're willing to take shortcuts and the easy way out...

OP, work hard. You can do it if you put in the time. Reviews are usually posted by slackers from my exp

are you kidding? That looks very bad taking a generally known hard class at a CC. Major red flag and shows that you're willing to take shortcuts and the easy way out...

OP, work hard. You can do it if you put in the time. Reviews are usually posted by slackers from my exp
OP would just be taking Chem 2 at a CC. A single prerequisite at a CC, not orgo, and with high grades in other Chem classes, isn't ideal, but it also isn't a "major red flag" except at schools which require all pre-reqs to be taken at a 4 year school.

His school doesnt offer "Chem 2" and its one course. I agree thT 4 yr is preferred but one course at CC would be better IMO than some C in pchem. CC can have a stigma but at the end of the day GPA is king.

It's always interesting to me how confident everyone is in their advise, as if we know exactly what adcoms are actually thinking...

Anyways here's my 2 cents: if you're that worried about PCHEM, I would would first ask the professor directly what material is covered, and how in-depth of an understanding you need with the more advanced maths. With that info, you'll be able to make a better decision, rather than looking online (at sites like ratemyprofessor or whatever) because usually the people that leave reviews are extreme in both directions.

Now, if you decide not to take it, don't worry. One community college course is not going to kill your app. As long as your GPA and MCAT are strong, no one will worry about your academic performance. "Check" all the rest of the boxes, and you're good to go. See my signature, quote two ;)

I have to take it as I am a Chem major. If you seriously that worried, you should take CHE 2 at any state school. It doesn't necessarily matter which school it is. I would go to the one that is the easiest, but that is just me.

UMich is the nearest state school to me... EMU would require me to pay a lot for the class, which I can't afford...

The number one key to succeeding in PChem is math. You have to know how to manipulate equations to get what you want. Sometimes, it's as easy as plugging the numbers in. At other times, you'll have to figure out which equations are appropriate (e.g. Henry's law regime vs. Raoult's law regime) and find the numbers yourself. You shouldn't have to understand anything much more difficult than basic differentiation and basic integration. It sounds like this PChem is more of an intro, condensed version that lumps some quantum chemistry and thermodynamics together. I find it difficult to believe that any professor could go into much detail into any of the rich quantum/thermo/kinetics topics in only a single semester (usually PChem is a two-semester sequence, where students take quantum chemistry and thermodynamics/kinetics). So I doubt you'll be required to know LaGendre polynomials, etc. that are employed in solving Schrodinger's equation for simple systems but you should know basic integral and differential calculus.

The number one key to succeeding in PChem is math. You have to know how to manipulate equations to get what you want. Sometimes, it's as easy as plugging the numbers in. At other times, you'll have to figure out which equations are appropriate (e.g. Henry's law regime vs. Raoult's law regime) and find the numbers yourself. You shouldn't have to understand anything much more difficult than basic differentiation and basic integration. It sounds like this PChem is more of an intro, condensed version that lumps some quantum chemistry and thermodynamics together. I find it difficult to believe that any professor could go into much detail into any of the rich quantum/thermo/kinetics topics in only a single semester (usually PChem is a two-semester sequence, where students take quantum chemistry and thermodynamics/kinetics). So I doubt you'll be required to know LaGendre polynomials, etc. that are employed in solving Schrodinger's equation for simple systems but you should know basic integral and differential calculus.

Alright, thanks. I'm pretty good at manipulating and knowing what to use when, so it shouldn't be a huge problem in theory.

The PChem he is referring to does involve Henry's law, Raoult's law, etc, but absolutely no calculus, so no differentiation and integration at all. At Umich, there are a few different versions of PChem offered and the one OP is referring to does not involve calculus or quantum, etc. I don't think LaGendre or Schrodinger are part of that class