-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any AA undergrads out there??
Started by yonn6_
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You will likely be disappointed. Underrepresented in medicine also means ridiculously underrepresented on SDN, so this corner of SDN is rather slow in comparison to the main forum for premeds.
You'll likely find a better group (more of your peers) at your school, or on Twitter or some other social media (as evident by this dry spell in this thread). Spend enough time in the main forum and you'll likely see why there's few AA around for you to discuss things with. My best advice, and unsolicited, is to find a mentor as well.
Best wishes!
You'll likely find a better group (more of your peers) at your school, or on Twitter or some other social media (as evident by this dry spell in this thread). Spend enough time in the main forum and you'll likely see why there's few AA around for you to discuss things with. My best advice, and unsolicited, is to find a mentor as well.
Best wishes!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I decided to start this thread, after looking around and not seeing any...
Just a place for us to get together and discuss, ideas, struggles, etc.
I'm a 19 y/o black female, attending an HBCU, studying biology!
I can't wait to meet y'all!
Thanks for starting the thread! I recently joined SDN and I was hoping to finding some URM support. I'm a 20 y/o AA male attending a small PWI and I'm studying biochemistry and molecular biology. Nice to meet you all.
Hey! Nice to meet you too! What year are you in ?Thanks for starting the thread! I recently joined SDN and I was hoping to finding some URM support. I'm a 20 y/o AA male attending a small PWI and I'm studying biochemistry and molecular biology. Nice to meet you all.
Hey! Nice to meet you too! What year are you in ?
I'm going to be a rising junior. And yourself?
I am a 20 year old AA female studying Microbiology at a PWI, I will be a junior this year!
A rising sophomore! 🙂I'm going to be a rising junior. And yourself?
Welcome girly!I am a 20 year old AA female studying Microbiology at a PWI, I will be a junior this year!
Hey there Yon, and everyone else. This is my first post on SDN.
I'm 20, rising junior at a public HBCU. I would like to gain volunteer hours and shadowing hours. How does you all go about doing that? I think once I have a start, I would be fine.
I'm 20, rising junior at a public HBCU. I would like to gain volunteer hours and shadowing hours. How does you all go about doing that? I think once I have a start, I would be fine.
Hey there Yon, and everyone else. This is my first post on SDN.
I'm 20, rising junior at a public HBCU. I would like to gain volunteer hours and shadowing hours. How does you all go about doing that? I think once I have a start, I would be fine.
Hi MelloMan!
I'm currently applying this cycle and I don't have many volunteering hours but my application is packed with research and shadowing hours.
For shadowing, look up doctors in your local area and try to reach out to them. I think phone calls work best, but emailing works sometimes too. If this doesn't work maybe talk to some of the doctors you go to. Ask them if you can shadow them or if they have any friends that would allow you to shadow them. I've tried all of these options and they all worked out great!
I'm not sure if you're interested in research or not but its definitely something you want to do to make you a competitive applicant!
Thank you sooooo much.Hi MelloMan!
I'm currently applying this cycle and I don't have many volunteering hours but my application is packed with research and shadowing hours.
For shadowing, look up doctors in your local area and try to reach out to them. I think phone calls work best, but emailing works sometimes too. If this doesn't work maybe talk to some of the doctors you go to. Ask them if you can shadow them or if they have any friends that would allow you to shadow them. I've tried all of these options and they all worked out great!
I'm not sure if you're interested in research or not but its definitely something you want to do to make you a competitive applicant!
Hey there Yon, and everyone else. This is my first post on SDN.
I'm 20, rising junior at a public HBCU. I would like to gain volunteer hours and shadowing hours. How does you all go about doing that? I think once I have a start, I would be fine.
Hi MelloMan!
I'm currently applying this cycle and I don't have many volunteering hours but my application is packed with research and shadowing hours.
For shadowing, look up doctors in your local area and try to reach out to them. I think phone calls work best, but emailing works sometimes too. If this doesn't work maybe talk to some of the doctors you go to. Ask them if you can shadow them or if they have any friends that would allow you to shadow them. I've tried all of these options and they all worked out great!
I'm not sure if you're interested in research or not but its definitely something you want to do to make you a competitive applicant!
Hi MelloMan!
I'm currently applying this cycle and I don't have many volunteering hours but my application is packed with research and shadowing hours.
For shadowing, look up doctors in your local area and try to reach out to them. I think phone calls work best, but emailing works sometimes too. If this doesn't work maybe talk to some of the doctors you go to. Ask them if you can shadow them or if they have any friends that would allow you to shadow them. I've tried all of these options and they all worked out great!
I'm not sure if you're interested in research or not but its definitely something you want to do to make you a competitive applicant!
Hey MelloMan,
I definitely agree with everything that aliciad24 said. I took a similar approach and reached out to anyone I knew who was even remotely involved in healthcare and I asked them if they had any friends who were physicians that I could shadow. I gave them a call and/or emailed them but I definitely think calling got me much better responses.
In terms of volunteering, the way I went about it was just to start with things that I liked to do. I then took whatever that was and asked if I could use that skill to address a need. If your school has some sort of volunteer service, I'd check there. They usually have postings from various organizations that are looking for volunteers to address a specific task. Another thing I did was to search for volunteer opportunities within the local area. That helped me locate some organizations as well. To give a practical example, I like to teach. There happened to be an organization that needed a science tutor for disadvantaged children and I saw it as a good way to address a need in the community. Another example is my friend, who is really into fitness, worked with an organization that helps students who are overweight.
I think the important thing to remember is to volunteer at a place where you know you'll enjoy whatever you're doing. Your desire to serve will be more genuine, and you will most likely do much better as a result. Just my two cents. Hopefully that helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I'm a predent at FAMU. I'm applying next cycle![]()
Welcome!
Hiya!
I am a rising Freshman AA biology major student. Tbh the main thread is so filled with gut wrenching pain and misogyny -- that I laugh at it. Also, if you have a chance I know someone posted in the Allo premed thread about a Facebook group. Check that out.
I am a rising Freshman AA biology major student. Tbh the main thread is so filled with gut wrenching pain and misogyny -- that I laugh at it. Also, if you have a chance I know someone posted in the Allo premed thread about a Facebook group. Check that out.
Hi everyone! I'm an 20 year old AA female who is a senior majoring in Psych! I'll be applying next summer!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K
, studying biology!
