Any Acceptance letters from UT Austin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks sy329... same to you...

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when the last interview date is? or when the invites for the last date will be sent out? I didnt see anything on the website, but maybe I missed it...

i think they sent the last batch of interview invite recently or soon as a few of my friends received theirs for mid april interviews. i think the 2nd round is early april 2 and 4? good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
txpharmdstud said:
i think they sent the last batch of interview invite recently or soon as a few of my friends received theirs for mid april interviews. i think the 2nd round is early april 2 and 4? good luck.

Thanks for the info. I havent received one yet :( so it looks like I'll be reapplying. I kinda expected it since my gpa is around a 3.1, but it still sucks! Congrats to all those with interviews. I am envious! haha, but I know you all worked hard to deserve it! :thumbup:

I guess I'm not getting an interview either, which baffles me. I have a 3.5 GPA and scored a 97 on the PCAT. I guess I learned my lesson and will get my application in as soon as the website will allow me. Congrats to the rest of you. Hopefully I'll see you next year

Don't give up hope yet.

don't give up yet! they send out letters about 2 weeks prior to interviews so give them time. :thumbup: good luck.

I interviewed at UT on Feb. 15th and haven't heard anything from them. congrats on those who already got accepted :)

i think invites for the supposedly last round are out because my friend got one on friday *shrugs*

Looks like they are going to interview around 300 this year... the people interviewed for the second round should find out by the end of April... good luck

Wow, only 200? Have they always interviewed so few? I thought they'd interview at least half the applicants. (500-600)

Last year I believe they interviewed somewhere along the lines of 250.

Does anyone know the percentage of people UT accepts out of the number of people they interview? At first I thought they interviwed most applicants. btw, I got a letter Friday for the April 16/18 interviews, and I'm nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! Well, if 200 people got interviews, and they accept around 130.. a bit over 60% get accepted.

I like that ratio!

Jonno1288 said:
congrats! Well, if 200 people got interviews, and they accept around 130.. a bit over 60% get accepted.

I like that ratio!

Well that's not 100% true, Dr. Richards said that they are NOT accepting as much students this year and 25-30 spots are reserved for UT-EP and UT Pan Am students... minus the first round that got accepted... there's about 80-85 spots left... the overall ratio is less than 50% (90-95 accepted out of around 200 interviews) for the UT admissions.

has anyone (or someone u know) that has a gpa above 3.0 not gotten an interview? just curious...

kimn21 said:
has anyone (or someone u know) that has a gpa above 3.0 not gotten an interview? just curious...

A buddy of my has a 3.1 gpa with average pcat scores (according to him) and he has an interview for the last round.

But what's weird is that another friend of mine has a 3.4 and average pcat and she didn't get an interview. So this is random....maybe my other friend had better experience? because the one with a 3.4 had no pharmacy experience.

Good luck to everyone :thumbup: and sorry to those who have not heard :( There might still be hope...so don't give up yet.

txpharmdstud said:
Good luck to everyone :thumbup: and sorry to those who have not heard :( There might still be hope...so don't give up yet.

Well I suppose there is still time, but I've already begun making reapplication plans :( I was just wondering if any one knows how UT treats their reapplicants. Do they have a better chance at being accepted the next year? Are there certain spots reserved for them?

Since I do not currently go to UT, I had to apply for transfer admissions. I guess there is a possibility that I could be admitted as a transfer undergrad student, just not into the pharm D program. I am graduating this May from A&M with a BS in Psych, and I had planned to go to a CC in Houston and retake a few classes (retake bio 1 and 2, physics 1, organic 1, and then take a&p 1 and 2 and physics 2 for the first time). Would it be better to take these classes at UT? I have already made plans to move to Houston with my fiance, but if there was a HUGE advantage to taking classes at UT, then I would definitely consider going there (assuming I get offered transfer admissions). Any insight??

How important is pharmacy experience in the decison-makingat UT. I took the PTCB exam and passed it(and got the little card that said i'm a certified pharm tech), but I havent been able to get a job as a pharm tech in the crappy small city I live in. I'm asking because I dont want to be bombarded with pharmacy questions at the interview, and just sit there saying "I dont know"

mojavpa said:
How important is pharmacy experience in the decison-makingat UT. I took the PTCB exam and passed it(and got the little card that said i'm a certified pharm tech), but I havent been able to get a job as a pharm tech in the crappy small city I live in. I'm asking because I dont want to be bombarded with pharmacy questions at the interview, and just sit there saying "I dont know"

I've talked to a few students and they said that experience is good but not that important. Also, having a pharmtech certification doesn't give you any extra points if you don't do anything with.

And regarding reapplicants, yes, I believe they give you an extra look if they didn't interview you the first time so don't give up! :thumbup: Just make sure you have a C in everything and over a 3.0.

For my future classmates, I'm excited to meet you all this fall!

Jonno1288 said:
I like that ratio!

Well, like UTPharmDoc said above, the chances are not quite so good....

Also, remember that not all admissions candidates are being interviewed this year. I don't have to interview because I am a reapplicant who interviewed last year. I know of a couple of other people in this same situation.

BUT, think positive!

mojavpa said:

Honestly, I am pretty sure that the #1 factor they look at is grades. Beyond that, they definitely want to see that you have aquainted yourself with the profession and that you have a genuine interest in pharmacy. However, I don't think that you necessarily have to work as a pharm tech to achieve this. You could do job shadowing, volunteering, or even just be active in a pre-pharmacy club.
You most likely would not be asked any questions at the interview that *only* a person who has worked in a pharmacy would know the answer to.

Shanana,
You mentioned that you are a reapplicant and dont have to reinterview this year. Im in the same position. I was just wondering if you had heard anything as far as when they will inform you of their final decision regarding admissions?

Setor said:
Shanana,
You mentioned that you are a reapplicant and dont have to reinterview this year. Im in the same position. I was just wondering if you had heard anything as far as when they will inform you of their final decision regarding admissions?

No, I have not heard when we will be finding out a decision....
My application materials were not in until the March 1 deadline, so I am *hoping* that my application might be reviewed by the committee along with the batch of people who interviewed in the 2nd round. But, who knows!

I just called to schedule my interview on April 18th, Ms. O'Meara told me I'll be interviewing with Dr.Robyn, but I checked their faulty list, found there is only a Dr.Sharon Roberson, are they the same person?? :confused: any one had experience interviewing with her? Thank you!

So is UT completly done giving invitations for interviews?

Stone said:
I just called to schedule my interview on April 18th, Ms. O'Meara told me I'll be interviewing with Dr.Robyn, but I checked their faulty list, found there is only a Dr.Sharon Roberson, are they the same person?? :confused: any one had experience interviewing with her? Thank you!

Hi everyone, I'm currently a student here at UT COP.

FYI There are both faculty and pharmacist interviewers in addition to a student interviewer...

Regarding the last round of interviews....from what I've heard from the Interview Coordinators, they will be interviewing 150 students! So that's a total 270 or so interview invites. See everyone at the interview :thumbup:

UT-Frank said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently a student here at UT COP.

FYI There are both faculty and pharmacist interviewers in addition to a student interviewer...

Regarding the last round of interviews....from what I've heard from the Interview Coordinators, they will be interviewing 150 students! So that's a total 270 or so interview invites. See everyone at the interview :thumbup:

I know this is unrelated, but what is the diversity like at UT COP? I'm Asian American and want to go to a diverse school and heard it was mostly white? But I could be wrong.

starsweet said:
I know this is unrelated, but what is the diversity like at UT COP? I'm Asian American and want to go to a diverse school and heard it was mostly white? But I could be wrong.

UT is a fairly diverse university. There are a lot of asian kids, indian, pakistani, persian...etc. not as many african americans or hispanics. I have a friend here at school that refused to apply to UT b/c as she put it, "they only admit half a black person each year to the COP" so it would be a waste of her time (she is african american). Before people start flaming me for this statement (which you should keep in mind that I am quoting her), if you look at the stats for UT COP, there hasn't been more than a hand full (literally) of african americans for at least the last 5 years, it may be even longer than that.

starsweet said:

You can find ethnicity statistics for enrolled students here:
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats.html
26% of students enrolled in the 04 class were Asian American.

I think that, out of Texas schools, the University of Houston might have the highest percent of asian students, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know out of the number of people UT accepted in 2004, how many had bachelors? Does UT give a lot of points to applicants that have a previous degree? I couldnt find this information on the UT website.

For those students currently attending UT....

Would you recommend having a car on campus? How about a job during the school year? I do not have a car at this time and worry about buying one especially if I cannot work during the school year. What about housing? If UT is anything like UIUC, decent apts are filled up by Dec. Do pharm students or older unmarried students choose a particular residence hall? I dread the idea of living with a 18 yr old who has not experienced roommate living or college life for that matter.

Any information is most helpful.

Please help!

NYCillini said:
For those students currently attending UT....
Would you recommend having a car on campus? How about a job during the school year? I do not have a car at this time and worry about buying one especially if I cannot work during the school year. What about housing? If UT is anything like UIUC, decent apts are filled up by Dec. Do pharm students or older unmarried students choose a particular residence hall? I dread the idea of living with a 18 yr old who has not experienced roommate living or college life for that matter.

Hey NYCillini, I started at UT in 1998 and I've moved around about 7 times since I got to Austin -- so I am pretty experieced with the student housing market.

The vast majority of people living in on-campus dorms at UT are freshmen. Last I heard, space is extremely limited in campus dorms and I think it is very difficult to get a room. There are a lot of off-campus private dorms that you might want to consider, but I think those are also probably mostly filled with freshmen as well. Personally, I would hate to live in a dorm as an older student, but, dorms sure are convenient.

Most people at UT have a car. If you lived near campus or on a bus route, it would not be absolutely necessary to have a car, but you would probably find it very limiting. You could probably make it for at least the first year without a car. The public bus system in Austin is rather good and it's free for students.

I recommend getting in touch with an apartment finder and looking into neighborhoods like West Campus, Far West, or Hyde Park. Try http://www.centralproperties.com/, I've used them before and they specialize in finding student apartments.

About a job, I can't give ya good advice on that one. If I get in this year I am not planning to work for my first year.
PM me if you have more Qs.

I heard they are adding another round of interviews. These are to be held later then April 16 and 18. Has anyone recieved an invitation for these later dates? Also who is the best person at UT to talk to about making an application better for next year.

shiver82 said:
Also who is the best person at UT to talk to about making an application better for next year.

Definitely Dr. Joanne Richards.

shiver82 said:
I heard they are adding another round of interviews. These are to be held later then April 16 and 18. Has anyone recieved an invitation for these later dates? Also who is the best person at UT to talk to about making an application better for next year.

that rumor comes up every year but never happens so I wouldn't count on it. :( They have a big pool of interviewed applicants to select from already.

Don't think that's a rumor, heard it from a UT student. And i already e-mailed Dr. Richards and she blew me off, Any other suggestions?

shiver82 said:
Don't think that's a rumor, heard it from a UT student. And i already e-mailed Dr. Richards and she blew me off, Any other suggestions?

Well I hate to say it, but if she blew you off there isn't really anyone else to go to who can give you the full story or help you out for next year if that is the case. She's one of the dean of admissions and she has quite a bit of pull so you don't want to piss her off. Just be patient and don't bombard the front office or her with emails or phone calls. (Just a tip)

All of the interview letters are sent out... they do select a few from each round of applicants to be accepted, then they pool everyone together and pick the rest from that pool... a majority of people will find out in May... good luck to everyone.

Is it true that a semester of tuition for UT pharmD is $3510 + $725 for fees? That almost sounds too low (UIC is $7285 per semester).

txpharmdude said:
Good luck everyone, start checking your mailboxes pretty soon as I have heard news that selections for second round has been made.

Hook'em Horns

UT COP C/O 2009!

Do you know if they sent them out on Thursday or today (Friday)? I have to make a decision about another school and the deadline is April 22nd. I hope to hear back from UT by then....

Regarding tuition it's actually around $ 10000 a year for Texas residents. Details will be in your acceptance letter

NYCillini said:
Do you know if they sent them out on Thursday or today (Friday)? I have to make a decision about another school and the deadline is April 22nd. I hope to hear back from UT by then....

From what I heard, the adcom had their meeting Thursday afternoon. So I am guessing that letters will be mailed out sometime next week.

Good Luck!

so UT is now done with its interviews?? :confused:

sangl1979 said:
so UT is now done with its interviews?? :confused:

I believe they sent out the last batch of interview invites a few weeks ago for the April 16th and 18th interview dates.

Sorry to those who didn't hear :( Good luck to those who have :thumbup:

I just wanted to say good luck to those who will be interviewed tomorrow! I had my interview yesterday and I am so glad its over(especially the essay part). Now I'm going to park myself in front of the mailbox for the next three weeks!

NYCillini said:
Is it true that a semester of tuition for UT pharmD is $3510 + $725 for fees? That almost sounds too low (UIC is $7285 per semester).

Yes, that sounds about right for tuition at UT, although it goes up a little bit each year (I remember when it was a little over $1500 in 1998!) The reason it is so low is because it is a state school, plus it has a large amount of donations, etc. to keep costs down.

Re: the person who said tuition was 10,000: that is the estimated cost of living in Austin and attending UT, etc, so that amount includes cost of apartment, food, books, entertainment, etc. I personally have been spending an average of $17,000 per year for total costs and I live by myself in an off campus apartment. Out-of-state tuition is higher than in-state.

Good Luck to all of ya who have just finished interviewing :thumbup:

Letters are out :clap:

UT-COP c/o 2009 :thumbup:

Good luck everyone and I look forward to meeting all of ya in the Fall :thumbup:

txpharmdude said:
Letters are out :clap:

UT-COP c/o 2009 :thumbup:

Good luck everyone and I look forward to meeting all of ya in the Fall :thumbup:

Does this mean that they have made all the decisions....I interviewed in Feb and havent heard anything....am very worried....also i am international student applying to UT for the third year !....Hopefully this year things will work out.