Any advice before beginning acute care clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chdom02

Reaction score
Hi, in a few weeks I'll be starting my acute care rotation. I'm a little nervous as I haven't worked with this population before, only had a previous outpatient ortho clinic. Does anyone have any advice on what to review or a typical day in the life of an acute care PT?

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you do everything slowly. If you are moving slowly (moving stuff around the patient or moving the patient), you will have a better chance to notice if you are pulling on a cord you are not supposed to pull on or you can stop if pt starts feeling pain before you hurt them. Watch patients' response and always stop/pause if in doubt.

Reactions: 2 users
Stay calm and think through situations before acting. I’ve found that acute care takes a little more forethought to take into account for managing lines/tubes and patients’ unique health situations. Also, if you’re not sure what to do or how to do it just run it by your CI or a nurse or someone, best not to take too many chances with people in such bad health.

Reactions: 1 users