Any advice for a re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

primetime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I will be re-applying to med school this coming summer and I am looking for any advice that would help me continue to strengthen my application. I graduated from UM, 3.0 GPA, 23P MCAT, lots of healthcare experience, and was rejected many times over last year. Since then, I have taken extra classes to boost my GPA, Biochem, molecular genetics, endocrinology, human disease, with grades of B,A-,A,A- respectively. I also got my EMT certification and will be and instructor for an EMT cert. program near me. I currently work as a chemist and just finished a research project that I hope will be published soon. Finally, I am re-taking the MCAT in April, and I am studying 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for it(religiously since december). I know I have to do better this time around. Even as I am doing everything I can to strengthen my application, I dont feel like it is enough since I want to get in so badly. Am I being too paranoid, or is there any advice anyone may have on other things I can or should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi primetime,
By UM, do you mean University of Miami or University of Michigan? I am in the same boat as you are and am also contemplating what I should do to improve my application. Where do you work as a chemist? I am wondering because I may be going into pharmaceuticals while I jump into the admissions process again. Anyway, I can't really offer any advice because I need some of my own so I would also like to hear what people have to say to primetime.
Dana

I am in a similar boat...I am in a similar situation too...Can't wait to hear...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dana,
I went to the University of Michigan and I currently work for an environmental company (ECI). The funny thing is, you really can use all of that stuff you learned in organic chemistry.
I have to say though, it really helps to have people to talk to for advice and input. Good luck to you guys.
PT

I am glad (for selfish reasons) to know there are so many of us out there! All of my friends have been accepted and I am facing reapplying for the 3rd time. I reside in TX and the Dean at UTHSCSA has told me that the committee likes to see specific examples of what you have done to improve yourself as a candidate. Also, it seems preferable if these are new experiences as opposed to more of the same. In addition, he stated that activities that show your character are valuable. In TX, many of the state schools put emphasis on "non-cognitive" factors, I don't know if this applies to other states. Best Wishes All!

Hi primetime and others in the same boat,

First, I'd like to reassure you by saying that there are many students out there who are going through all the things that you are going through, so don't feel alone and don't despair. I was a peer counselor for premeds and have witnessed many students who struggled and were successful.

primetime-Rest assured...you are not being paranoid. But right now, concentrate on your mcats. At this point, that is your ticket to getting your foot in the door. There is a limit as to how much you can raise your gpa and other aspects of your application so focus on your mcats. Do lots of practice problems under timed conditions and don't worry about "trying to strengthen your application" right now. Just work on the mcats. You said that you have a lot of health care experience, so that's definitely a plus. Don't worry about doing more in that area. AFter your mcats, look into getting involved in some non-medicalwork/volunteering. It's nice to show adcoms that you have interests outside of medicine.

In addition, I encourage all of you to not be trapped by the premed mentality that everything you do has to be geared towards something medical/health-related like a research job, etc. Med schools and interviewers appreciate candidates who pursued something unusual, interesting, and meaningful for themselves. If there's something you enjoy and are passionate about whether it be music, art, rock-climbing, go for it and don't worry about whether you're wasting your time. Not only will these activities be relaxing and personally enriching, it lets schools know that your not just a premed geek. Find things/activities that you find interesting, worthwhile. Those are the activities that will be most rewarding and consequently the ones that you can describe with passion in your applications and interviews.

Good luck to all of you.

Thank you very, very, very, much for the advice Nicolette. Much appreciated!!
Primetime

Hi nicolette,
I think I AM trapped in the pre-med mentality that everything I do has to be medically related. I am currently pondering whether I should take a research job in a medical school or a chemist job in a pharmaceutical company. This would be such an easy decision (the research job pays practically nothing) except that I would be working under an admissions committee member in the research job and could really help me one year from now when I reapply. I keep thinking that if I take the chemist position, I would have to do something else to compensate in order to show admissions committees that I am still interested in medicine. Of course, my main priority for now is to improve my MCATs (25R with a 3.8 gpa). Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to work for the adcom member or to just work on my MCATS and be able to save a little bit of money?
Dana

Hi dlc,
What a tough decision you have on your hands. You probably have thought this through already, but I would consider how closely you'll be working with this adcom member. You said you'll be working under this person, but how large is the lab? Will you actually have direct contact with him or will you be working with a grad student? Is this adcom member in the lab most of the time? Be aware that there are many MD-PhDs that split their time between their clincial and research duties. It may be that you will not actually spend much time with this person...in which case you may not get to know this person as well as you'd like which may mean less of a chance to get a great letter. Also realize that this person is only an adcom member at ONE school out of many which you will presumably be applying to. On the other hand, a favorable word from a certain someone can make a huge difference. All this may sound a bit neurotic, but just things you may want to consider. Obviously, I can't tell you what to do, but I'm tempted to tell you to go for the chemist job b/c it sounds like a great chance to save up some money. If I were in your shoes, I'd be fretting over this decision, too. However, looking in from the outside, I have some distance from the situation and I can say that you should go with what is more practical for you and what you would enjoy doing. That sounds like such a foreign concept, doesn't it? A pre-med doing something because she wants to. But Your gpa is very good. If you can improve your mcats, I think you'll be on solid ground. Don't worry about the chemist job not being medically related, etc. as long as you have some good health care experiences (paid or volunteer)as well. Working as a chemist is a unique opportunity and is medically related. Plus, you'll learn lots from the pharmaceutical industry and I think that will probably help you as a physician one day.

Good luck.

Hey primetime, where did you apply, MSU? Wayne State? Michigan State has a really good osteopathic med program, and it would probably be easier to get into then the other 3 med schools in MI.

Hey Floydman,
At the time of my first application I stayed away from Michigan schools. However, I am taking the MSU D.O. program into serious consideration as well as others. Honestely, I wish I had the GPA and MCAT to back to U of M. I really loved it there.
However, the weather in California just cant be beat.
PT