Is this clinical (likely re-applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJS59

Reaction score
In an effort to get more clinical hours under my belt (beyond currently volunteering at the VA, which I will have accumulated 108 hours for by application time in June) I am looking at other positions at nearby hospitals to further increase hours. I am seeking other positions because the VA volunteering calendar where I volunteer is otherwise filled at the moment. Based on the following job description, does this count? I am under the assumption it does not since it isn't direct patient interaction, but it is interaction with other providers.

Laboratory Assistant - Lab Mailouts

"This postion receives, prepares and ships samples from inpatient units, outpatient clinics, and from outside institutions. The is interaction with reference labs and callers with what to draw for specimen types."
Responsibilities
  1. Performs functions related to demographic data, test requisitioning, labels and reports. Processes specimens.
  2. Obtains blood specimens from patients. Obtains specimen requirement information.
  3. Operates the pneumatic tube system (PTS) to ensure timely delivery of laboratory specimens.
  4. Perform other duties as required or assigned.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In an effort to get more clinical hours under my belt (beyond currently volunteering at the VA, which I will have accumulated 108 hours for by application time in June) I am looking at other positions at nearby hospitals to further increase hours. I am seeking other positions because the VA volunteering calendar where I volunteer is otherwise filled at the moment. Based on the following job description, does this count? I am under the assumption it does not since it isn't direct patient interaction, but it is interaction with other providers.

Laboratory Assistant - Lab Mailouts

"This postion receives, prepares and ships samples from inpatient units, outpatient clinics, and from outside institutions. The is interaction with reference labs and callers with what to draw for specimen types."
Responsibilities
  1. Performs functions related to demographic data, test requisitioning, labels and reports. Processes specimens.
  2. Obtains blood specimens from patients. Obtains specimen requirement information.
  3. Operates the pneumatic tube system (PTS) to ensure timely delivery of laboratory specimens.
  4. Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Unless patients are drawing their own blood (!), it sounds like obtaining blood samples from patients is a patient facing clinical experience. Confirm whether phlebotomy is part of the role. If yes, it is clinical. If the blood samples are waiting for you to pick them out of a tray, then no.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless patients are drawing their own blood (!), it sounds like obtaining blood samples from patients is a patient facing clinical experience. Confirm whether phlebotomy is part of the role. If yes, it is clinical. If the blood samples are waiting for you to pick them out of a tray, then no.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I read this as the job involves collecting the tubes after the phlebotomist draws the blood, and then sends it off to the lab.

Assuming you are not actually drawing the blood, this would not fit most definitions of clinical.

I read this as the job involves collecting the tubes after the phlebotomist draws the blood, and then sends it off to the lab.

Assuming you are not actually drawing the blood, this would not fit most definitions of clinical.
Yeah I clarified this with the interviewer and he confirmed this is exactly what the position is so I'm dropping that idea and redoubling my efforts elsewhere.

You would be clinical support, which as a CLT/MLT is more laboratory focused than patient focused. It's tough because we need people in those roles too.

Using definitions for PA admissions, it's definitely health care experience, but not patient care experience.

Think I found a better role but figured I'd consult here first to confirm this is in fact clinical...I think it is because I'd be "smelling" patients as I deliver food/pick up trays:

The Food Service Attendant assembles, serves, and delivers food, and performs sanitation activities in assigned areas: patient area for patient tray assembly and sanitation; patient tray delivery and menu collection.

So based on what the interviewer told me, during my shift I (along with another employee) would travel 2 floors for delivering meals to patients and picking up trays when they're done, and I would return to my assigned floor to deliver late meals/pick up late meal trays. The interviewer confirmed that I would be walking into inpatient rooms, setting up meal trays and otherwise assisting patients as they prepare for meals.

Again, I believe this is clinical, but just wanted some confirmation.

Think I found a better role but figured I'd consult here first to confirm this is in fact clinical...I think it is because I'd be "smelling" patients as I deliver food/pick up trays:

The Food Service Attendant assembles, serves, and delivers food, and performs sanitation activities in assigned areas: patient area for patient tray assembly and sanitation; patient tray delivery and menu collection.

So based on what the interviewer told me, during my shift I (along with another employee) would travel 2 floors for delivering meals to patients and picking up trays when they're done, and I would return to my assigned floor to deliver late meals/pick up late meal trays. The interviewer confirmed that I would be walking into inpatient rooms, setting up meal trays and otherwise assisting patients as they prepare for meals.

Again, I believe this is clinical, but just wanted some confirmation.

I did that job ~40 years ago. Yes, it is clinical. (I tried to interview a man who hadn't completed his menu and he would not speak to me... a dear old nurse/nun came in to tell me that he was aphasic from a stroke and told me what to order for him... never forgot that!)

Reactions: 1 users