Any advice for incoming OMS1 single mom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curr4410

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I’ve actually been in touch with a couple of moms at my school who are in 3rd/4th year and single parents, but they’re obviously very busy and we haven’t been able to talk much.

My son is 4 years old and his dad is not in the picture and probably won’t be any time soon. I will be going to school about 3 hours away from family. I’ve already had meetings with my schools financial advisor, spoken with admissions, talked with some of the faculty, and spoke with folks in anatomy lab about my need to leave by 5:30 every day to pick my little guy up from daycare. They said there are quite a few moms who also have to do that, and lab partners at the school have always been great at helping the mom get out by that point if lab goes over.

We moved daycares so he’s closer, and hours are longer (7A - 6P). He’ll be in extended day preschool with an IEP for sensory issues. We are moving closer to an elementary school with a great before/after school program, which also happens to be closer to the medical school as well. Financial aid is helping me find scholarships and will be working with me to get my essay down for scholarships next year (got accepted this year just a few days after deadlines), and I will also be getting kiddo into Medicaid, state childcare assistance, and SNAP benefits to cut costs (actually suggested to me by a social worker). My mom will be coming to live with us for 3rd/4th year and will take kiddo for the school year 1/2nd year if needed - she’s got him signed up for everything with her in case he needs to do that.

Kiddo is super super accommodating and is a very independent player because of sensory issues, so as long as someone is near him while he lines up his toys he’s good. We do therapy too but he gets a lot of that at school and usually just wants quiet and some low-interaction play when he gets home.

What else can we do to be successful?

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to sound silly but just be extra nice to your parents. I’ve seen single parents leaning hard on their family then ruin everything by getting in a fight and losing the assistance they desperately need

Cherish your mom because you will need her

Reactions: 8 users
I had a couple single parents in my class and they made it work. Just make a rigid schedule and stick to it. This is paramount. Understand that you won’t have all of the hours to put into studying like your other classmates so don’t get discouraged if you are not at the top of the class. Your child takes priority and that just means studying will take a hit... up to a certain point. Med school studying sucks and is all consuming. If you get in trouble reach out to the school fast. You are in for a rough couple of years but I have faith you can make it through. All of my classmates did.

The biggest adjustment will be the first
Couple of months but once you know what it takes to pass your schedule will ease up. Medical students study a ton but there is free time. Just build your free time into your schedule and use it for your child. Unfortunately this means you won’t have much “free” time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend definitely bonding with people who you could count on in an emergency. And I mean COUNT on in the sense that they would be willing to potentially take a hit on a quiz or something (I know, SDN blasphemy!). This might require you to do the same, of course. I'm talking GENUINE support. Our school admins gave us this spiel about how people in med-school are just "colleagues", "seasonal friends", and "focus on yourself" etcetc. There were actually a couple people with such unbelievably pisspoor luck that got into situations that any one person had no business surviving, but the class rallied and came up with a solution as a whole. For all its asinine advice and frustration that this damn school has put me through, being lapped up into this class made me glad I chose it. We're like a granuloma filled with love~

Hey all! So I’ve actually been in touch with a couple of moms at my school who are in 3rd/4th year and single parents, but they’re obviously very busy and we haven’t been able to talk much.

My son is 4 years old and his dad is not in the picture and probably won’t be any time soon. I will be going to school about 3 hours away from family. I’ve already had meetings with my schools financial advisor, spoken with admissions, talked with some of the faculty, and spoke with folks in anatomy lab about my need to leave by 5:30 every day to pick my little guy up from daycare. They said there are quite a few moms who also have to do that, and lab partners at the school have always been great at helping the mom get out by that point if lab goes over.

We moved daycares so he’s closer, and hours are longer (7A - 6P). He’ll be in extended day preschool with an IEP for sensory issues. We are moving closer to an elementary school with a great before/after school program, which also happens to be closer to the medical school as well. Financial aid is helping me find scholarships and will be working with me to get my essay down for scholarships next year (got accepted this year just a few days after deadlines), and I will also be getting kiddo into Medicaid, state childcare assistance, and SNAP benefits to cut costs (actually suggested to me by a social worker). My mom will be coming to live with us for 3rd/4th year and will take kiddo for the school year 1/2nd year if needed - she’s got him signed up for everything with her in case he needs to do that.

Kiddo is super super accommodating and is a very independent player because of sensory issues, so as long as someone is near him while he lines up his toys he’s good. We do therapy too but he gets a lot of that at school and usually just wants quiet and some low-interaction play when he gets home.

What else can we do to be successful?
Don’t hookup with baby daddy after graduation. “Ey gurl has a change of heart”

Schools usually have parents clubs where people rotate watching kids n stuff. Lots of spouses come w their med school hus/wife so make friends w them

LOL. Considering he’s in jail for a capital crime, and decided to get engaged to a girl he started ‘dating’ For two months in jail, and will likely be in prison for several more years, AND was an abusive prick.....nah. I have more self-respect than that. I’ve been a single mom ever since my son was born for a reason.

The club and rotating watching sounds nice, I’ll definitely have to check it out! I appreciate the input I’m getting, all of it helps![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user