Incoming OMS1 Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowster007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys was wondering if some upper classmen could make comments since you guys have been in my shoes before. I was wondering is it possible to do two different research projects at the same time? I hear about peeps getting multiple pubs and what not and was curious if that would be a doable option...

I also know the whole MeD scHOol is veyr hard to acclimate to and alll that so I understand thats not easy- I'm merely asking if anyone has done two projects together.. Let alone how many projects is recommended. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys was wondering if some upper classmen could make comments since you guys have been in my shoes before. I was wondering is it possible to do two different research projects at the same time? I hear about peeps getting multiple pubs and what not and was curious if that would be a doable option...

I also know the whole MeD scHOol is veyr hard to acclimate to and alll that so I understand thats not easy- I'm merely asking if anyone has done two projects together.. Let alone how many projects is recommended. Thanks :)
It depends on the involvement in each of the projects. It is definitely feasible to do this, but you would likely be working on projects with two different research groups in which your main job was solely data collection or follow ups (clinical research). The reason this works is because there is down time in the project as it can't proceed until all data has been collected. But if you are just doing case reports then you are not being hindered by anything other than your own desire to finish the project.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the involvement in each of the projects. It is definitely feasible to do this, but you would likely be working on projects with two different research groups in which your main job was solely data collection or follow ups (clinical research). The reason this works is because there is down time in the project as it can't proceed until all data has been collected. But if you are just doing case reports then you are not being hindered by anything other than your own desire to finish the project.
I appreciate your advice thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to go back I would have started research after my second block.

If you’re trying to have an elite research output you should be doing doing multiple projects at once (the ability to do it depends on your study habits and work ethic).

Reactions: 1 users
If I were to go back I would have started research after my second block.

If you’re trying to have an elite research output you should be doing doing multiple projects at once (the ability to do it depends on your study habits and work ethic).
Thank you for the advice!

It depends on the projects you're doing. Also only an OMS-II so minimal experience so far.

Case reports and lit reviews are relatively easier to do concurrently.
Analysis of collected data is more time consuming but still time independent.
Wet lab work is much more difficult and probably requires significant time involvement that would be challenging to do concurrently.

I think most students who end up with decent output have multiple projects going at the same time. It all depends on which ones you choose/mix-n-match. I don't know if there's an upper limit, but more than a handful at a time seems improbable. Amount needed is highly variable depending on your specialty goal, FM needs 0, NSG should probably have 10+ after a research year.

I would also recommend waiting till you finish a block to start, as you'll have a better idea of the amount of free time you'll have. There's also the summer after OMS-I to pump out a couple of papers.

I'm in between OMS1 and II.

I had a lot of pubs before entering med school.
I'm also doing a summer research internship now.
MOST of my OMS peers do not have this opportunity. I got lucky and because my research background helped set me up for this.

Easier said than done but if you could start making connections by visiting labs or emailing PI's so that once you hit the summer of OMSI, you could immediately join that lab, that would be the best.

Because summer after OMSI is just about the only time you'll have to do research. You could potentially take a research rotation but you'll be too stressed with STEP2 to do that well. Also I know some students who take a year off between 2nd and 3rd year to do research. But if you don't have to waste that time, then that's even better.

edit: Just realized, we're both Meow.

I'm in between OMS1 and II.

I had a lot of pubs before entering med school.
I'm also doing a summer research internship now.
MOST of my OMS peers do not have this opportunity. I got lucky and because my research background helped set me up for this.

Easier said than done but if you could start making connections by visiting labs or emailing PI's so that once you hit the summer of OMSI, you could immediately join that lab, that would be the best.

Because summer after OMSI is just about the only time you'll have to do research. You could potentially take a research rotation but you'll be too stressed with STEP2 to do that well. Also I know some students who take a year off between 2nd and 3rd year to do research. But if you don't have to waste that time, then that's even better.

edit: Just realized, we're both Meow.
love the advice Dr Meow!