any advice for my nYCOM interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
it's this wed and i am really nervous as this is my 1st. susan

Members don't see this ad.

First, and most importantly, don't be overly anxious about the interview. The interviews at NYCOM are VERY low pressure. Plus, obtaining an interview means that you have passed all the academic hurdles for admission; now they are just looking to see if you have the personality required to become a caring and compassionate physician.

If the process is the same as when I was applying, you'll be interviewed by a DO and a PhD faculty member. Basically they will ask you a few questions about your application (which they will have seen for the first time only minutes before you are asked to come in) and, of course, your reasons for choosing an osteopathic education in general and NYCOM specifically. They will NOT be expecting you to know a lot about osteopathic medicine. It would help, though, if you knew a bit about A.T. Still and some basics about how osteopathic medicine came into being, as well as some knowledge about osteopathic principles. A quick Google search will probably be sufficient :D

You will be given the secondary application to fill out while you are there. It's an essay question which asks why you want to become an osteopathic physician. The day before I interviewed, a friend of mine who was a third-year student advised me to just create a "cheat sheet" with some ideas for the essay the night before and to just transcribe them to the secondary app on the interview day (surreptitiously of course :laugh: )

Good luck! :)

-Wanna_be_DO

Relax- it is a low stress deal
you will come in sit around a table, complete a secondary and wait to be taken into individual rooms for an interview with one or two professors. after all the interview business... you will grab lunch and a tour with a student

best wishes :)

The essay question is now "Why do you want to attend NYCOM". They give you 5 lines so don't expect to be writing very much...keep it short and brief but to the point.
Hope to see you next year at NYCOM!