Any advice for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocentnews

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've learned a lot from this forum, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/wants to share their experiences about the following schools/program? I am thinking about a health policy track, and I really like these schools:

Emory
George Washington
Drexel
U-Alabama
South Carolina
Minnesota
Johns Hopkins
UIC

Currently, I have 3.383 cGPA (it will be higher, ~3.45 by the time I apply), and I am a double major biological sciences and history. I haven't taken the GREs yet - what score(s) should I aim for?

I also have:
-120+ hours of hospital volunteering, specifically for Planetree research and implementation (www.planetree.org)
-approx. 40 or so hrs of P.A.C.U. volunteering
-40 to 50 hrs of shadowing a D.O. in rehabilitation medicine

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I've learned a lot from this forum, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/wants to share their experiences about the following schools/program? I am thinking about a health policy track, and I really like these schools:

Emory
George Washington
Drexel
U-Alabama
South Carolina
Minnesota
Johns Hopkins
UIC

Currently, I have 3.383 cGPA (it will be higher, ~3.45 by the time I apply), and I am a double major biological sciences and history. I haven't taken the GREs yet - what score(s) should I aim for?

I also have:
-120+ hours of hospital volunteering, specifically for Planetree research and implementation (www.planetree.org)
-approx. 40 or so hrs of P.A.C.U. volunteering
-40 to 50 hrs of shadowing a D.O. in rehabilitation medicine

Thanks for the help.

ill break it down w/ my guess of outcomes:

- uic: probably wont accept you because your not illinois resident, they have a very low acceptance rate and prefer illinois residents
- john hopkins: very difficult to get in, also, i believe they require their students to have professional degrees such as PhDs, JDs, MD/DOs, etc.
- alabama / drexel / south carolina: i think you have a good shot at getting into those, to note..drexel has like the highest acceptance rate, i think its like 96%...but its gonna be a expensive education
- minnesota / emory / george washington: these schools are very selective too, im not sure how good of a shot you have at gwu or especially minnesota since i think minnesota is ranked very high for mph schools, also gwu has a tuition + living expense of somewhere around 45k/yr

your gonna have to do some serious convincing as to why you should be granted acceptance to these schools...especially since you probably didnt get into med school and are using this as a backup for the time being (thats my impression from what you've posted). if you tell them about the DO shadowing,etc those may be some red flags to them. many mph programs dislike when premeds apply as a back up plan, also you should not that if this is actually what your doing, you should reconsider it. mph will do absolutely nothing in terms of boosting your chances of getting into med school. we take no hard science classes, which med school is all about. youll have to convince them why you want to serve in public health (meaning the public or private sector). id recommend applying to louisville, kentucky, and boston university. if your looking for a grad school route that gets you into d.o. schools easier, i applied to one and got into it but opted out of it. pm me and ill let you know some other options that are very good.

your gonna have to do some serious convincing as to why you should be granted acceptance to these schools...especially since you probably didnt get into med school and are using this as a backup for the time being (thats my impression from what you've posted).

I actually shadowed a DO and an MD earlier in my undergrad because I thought med school was what I wanted to do. More recently, I wanted to do public health, so no, I have not applied to medical schools, and probably won't apply to med school until after the MPH (if I still wanted to do it). I don't want to close any doors because I'm not sure exactly where I want to be yet.

In any case, thanks for your recommendations. If you don't mind, I'll pm you about your experiences. :]

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually shadowed a DO and an MD earlier in my undergrad because I thought med school was what I wanted to do. More recently, I wanted to do public health, so no, I have not applied to medical schools, and probably won't apply to med school until after the MPH (if I still wanted to do it). I don't want to close any doors because I'm not sure exactly where I want to be yet.

In any case, thanks for your recommendations. If you don't mind, I'll pm you about your experiences. :]

The best thing you can do to show you're passionate about public health is to volunteer in your community, not in a clinical setting.

As for acceptance to some of those schools, you'll probably have the toughest time getting into Emory and Hopkins. Both have acceptance rates in the ~40% range. The other schools generally are a bit easier to get into.

ill break it down w/ my guess of outcomes:

your gonna have to do some serious convincing as to why you should be granted acceptance to these schools...especially since you probably didnt get into med school and are using this as a backup for the time being (thats my impression from what you've posted). if you tell them about the DO shadowing,etc those may be some red flags to them. many mph programs dislike when premeds apply as a back up plan, also you should not that if this is actually what your doing, you should reconsider it. mph will do absolutely nothing in terms of boosting your chances of getting into med school. we take no hard science classes, which med school is all about. youll have to convince them why you want to serve in public health (meaning the public or private sector). id recommend applying to louisville, kentucky, and boston university. if your looking for a grad school route that gets you into d.o. schools easier, i applied to one and got into it but opted out of it. pm me and ill let you know some other options that are very good.

I am kinnda in the same boat.. I interned at the maerican lung association last spring.. but after that have no work ex. in the field.. I intended to apply to dental schools and have been working with dentists ever since.. Howeve I have decided 2 apply to MPH progs now.. Do u think if i write abt dentists, the admission comm. might not take me in b/c MPH was a plan B since dental schools dint work out.. ??? I do have a BS in Public Health Sci. and ll most likely get really good recos from my PH profs...

I go to UIC and most of my classmates are NOT Illinois residents, in fact, they're from all over the US and the rest of the world. I don't think you'll have a hard time getting in to UIC SPH. A lot of my classmates were also pre-med students in undergrad. I don't think you will have a problem getting in to PH schools. Good luck!

I go to UIC and most of my classmates are NOT Illinois residents, in fact, they're from all over the US and the rest of the world. I don't think you'll have a hard time getting in to UIC SPH. A lot of my classmates were also pre-med students in undergrad. I don't think you will have a problem getting in to PH schools. Good luck!

Thanks for the info :)

This statement is also true of the vast majority of SPHs across the country. PH is one of the disciplines in the world they'll take as many students as possible since more and more folks are needed in the field.

This statement is also true of the vast majority of SPHs across the country. PH is one of the disciplines in the world they'll take as many students as possible since more and more folks are needed in the field.

Thanks.. tht is motivating enough.. atleast i know they wont reject me for telling them about dental schools :)