Any advice on applying for PhD programs between OMS2 and OMS3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1114150

Asking for a friend. If we're not in a DOPhD program but strongly interested in pursuing a PhD, is it advisable/feasible/appropriate to take a LOA between OMS2 and OMS3 year to take on an independent PhD that can last 5-7 years?

Also, if the PhD is from a top academic center, how much would that help in terms of matching?

Members don't see this ad.

Asking for a friend. If we're not in a DOPhD program but strongly interested in pursuing a PhD, is it advisable/feasible/appropriate to take a LOA between OMS2 and OMS3 year to take on an independent PhD that can last 5-7 years?

Also, if the PhD is from a top academic center, how much would that help in terms of matching?
This isn’t possible. No DO program is going to give you 5-7 years between 2nd/3rd year where you aren’t doing the PhD in house or within an already established pathway of doing so.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn’t possible. No DO program is going to give you 5-7 years between 2nd/3rd year where you aren’t doing the PhD in house or within an already established pathway of doing so.
AZCOM allows this. Someone did it recently and matched neurosurgery at pcom

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM allows this. Someone did it recently and matched neurosurgery at pcom
They allowed someone to take a completely unrelated 5-7 years for a PhD that wasn't part of AZCOM or through a linkage somewhere?

Man I sure hope that person didn't just do it for help in the match.... also there is no AZCOM student on the PCOM resident roster lol, although it is missing it's intern class

They allowed someone to take a completely unrelated 5-7 years for a PhD that wasn't part of AZCOM or through a linkage somewhere?

Man I sure hope that person didn't just do it for help in the match.... also there is no AZCOM student on the PCOM resident roster lol, although it is missing it's intern class
They did let him do an unrelated Phd. If you look at AZCOM policies, they allow this. He just graduated then

Thanks for the replies. @DOVinciRobot if this same person wanted to do a PhD (5-7 years) between residency and fellowship, what do u think of that path? This person wants to do general surgery and pursue a cardiothoracic fellowship.

I thought there was a COCA rule that says you have to graduate within 6 years of matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies. @DOVinciRobot if this same person wanted to do a PhD (5-7 years) between residency and fellowship, what do u think of that path? This person wants to do general surgery and pursue a cardiothoracic fellowship.
I would say that a PhD is a waste of time, especially if you’re just doing it to match a fellowship. If you want to be an academic surgeon then go to a surgery program that affords research years. Some of those places will even let you complete a PhD. Obviously academic surgery residencies are difficult for a DO to match, but a decent number do it every year.
I thought there was a COCA rule that says you have to graduate within 6 years of matriculation.
Yep. The exception being an official linked program.

If you did that you would be a bad surgeon...

Getting a PHD is a TERRIBLE idea from a ROI standpoint. The dude they are talking about did a PHD to match at a formerly DO NS program? Yikes. I am all for following your dreams but you have to make smart business decisions for yourself or otherwise live a life of pain.

If you wanna do cardiothoracics you do not need a PHD. 1-2 research years during med school or residency will suffice and you probably don't even need that.

Be smart please.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So my friend wants to do PhD in a specialized field that is not available for research at any surgical training programs. In fact, there are only a handful of PhD programs in this field in the US. He wants to be a physician scientist and a professor and head of a lab in ______.

Again this research field is not available in any surgical training programs and is very niche, and can have correlations to medicine, but in general, is rather removed.

And I guess my question is, if my friend did the PhD between residency and fellowship, would they be able to do locum work during the PhD or even do something to retrain themselves afterwards?

There's plenty of surgeon scientists that take research sabaticals of 2-3 years, but haven't seen one take a 5 year sabbatical.

There's plenty of surgeon scientists that take research sabaticals of 2-3 years, but haven't seen one take a 5 year sabbatical.
Because those sabbaticals typically happen either enfolded in residency or fellowship, or in medical school in a combined program (some people get a PhD before applying to medical school but that number is very small).

Taking 5 years away from clinical training/practice would seriously damage your skills and clinical knowledge.

So my friend wants to do PhD in a specialized field that is not available for research at any surgical training programs. In fact, there are only a handful of PhD programs in this field in the US. He wants to be a physician scientist and a professor and head of a lab in ______.

Again this research field is not available in any surgical training programs and is very niche, and can have correlations to medicine, but in general, is rather removed.
To be blunt, if there is no research in this field available in ANY surgical program then it’s likely not relevant to the practice or development of surgery and your friend would be better off simply pursuing the PhD only.

Because those sabbaticals typically happen either enfolded in residency or fellowship, or in medical school in a combined program (some people get a PhD before applying to medical school but that number is very small).

Taking 5 years away from clinical training/practice would seriously damage your skills and clinical knowledge.
Would it be possible to do locum work as a gen surge while pursuing a PhD or are there any retraining programs prior to starting the fellowship?

Would you say the same to the same extent of devastation in CK and CS for people pursuing IM or even anesthesiology residencies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be possible to do locum work as a gen surge while pursuing a PhD
Technically ya sure. But why would you do this.
are there any retraining programs prior to starting the fellowship?
No. And fellowships will not take someone who has been out of clinical practice that long.
Would you say the same to the same extent of devastation in CK and CS for people pursuing IM or even anesthesiology residencies?
But again, why? I fail to see any sort of benefit of this. The only relatively similar concept would be like Harvard’s MSTP program, which is a combined and structured pathway.

All of this seems like extreme pre-med career fantasy. Like the people who occasionally post asking if it’s possible they can be both a cardiothoracic surgeon and an orthopod.

Reactions: 2 users

your friend should quit and be a PHD.

If he wanted to be a physician scientist in neurosurgery they shouldnt have gone to a DO school. They ship has already sailed. Tough luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.