Any advice on volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BascerPharm4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm from California and I've been thinking for the past few months that I shall pursue my education into pharmacy. But before I could even get into a pharmacy college, I want to know if there is any way I can volunteer at a local hospital, pharmacy, etc. just to get my feet a little bit wet. I've heard of job shadowing, but I feel volunteering will be more of my interest. Does anyone know if Valley Childrens, Kaiser, Walgreens, Longs Drugs, etc. allow pre-pharmacy students to do some volunteering? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Chingy

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if chain stores will let you volunteer or not, but if you get certified to be a pharm tech, then you can work there. I think thatd be better than volunteering because you now get paid and you may do more than a volunteer at a hospital.

For hospitals however, some have a volunteer service area you should go to if you want to volunteer.

Hi guys,

I'm from California and I've been thinking for the past few months that I shall pursue my education into pharmacy. But before I could even get into a pharmacy college, I want to know if there is any way I can volunteer at a local hospital, pharmacy, etc. just to get my feet a little bit wet. I've heard of job shadowing, but I feel volunteering will be more of my interest. Does anyone know if Valley Childrens, Kaiser, Walgreens, Longs Drugs, etc. allow pre-pharmacy students to do some volunteering? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Chingy

Most hospitals have a volunteer coordinator that will help you in deciding where to volunteer. They may not be able to get you into the pharmacy, but any hospital volunteer position is better than no volunteering at all. I have a friend from my PChem class that started volunteering at Loma Linda University and when they found out he was CPhT they offered him a paid position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I'm not quite sure what to do. I want to volunteer at a pharmacy, but I also want to take the pharm tech license and maybe i'll be offered some job at a local pharmacy. Volunteering compared to pharm tech seems to be much more flexible than pharm tech, but the fact that I can get paid for being a pharm tech, why not? I'm not just sure if pharmacy colleges will look more towards volunteer or hands-on work (pharm tech). What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks for the replies. I'm not quite sure what to do. I want to volunteer at a pharmacy, but I also want to take the pharm tech license and maybe i'll be offered some job at a local pharmacy. Volunteering compared to pharm tech seems to be much more flexible than pharm tech, but the fact that I can get paid for being a pharm tech, why not? I'm not just sure if pharmacy colleges will look more towards volunteer or hands-on work (pharm tech). What do you guys think I should do?

I was surprised how easy the PTCE seemed. If you get a good study guide and maybe looked at some of the more common drug names/categories, I think you could feasibly pass the PTCE with less than one months' effort (provided you put in some serious time on pharm calcs and drug name memorization). California just requires PTCE, fingerprint check, and a fee.
Keep in mind the PTCE costs over $100 to register for, so you'll want to be serious about it, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Well, I'm actually doing my second year in college right now, should I make some time for the PTCE to study? By the way, I read the information about the pharm tech license and it mentions about some fees I have to pay some fee of "...DOJ processing fee of
$32, FBI processing fee of $24, and fingerprint scanning service fee) at the time your prints are taken" (http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf).

Does anyone know how much the total cost to get your pharm tech license including the fees of the PTCE and license?

PTCE exam: $129
After you pass. . .
Fingerprint scanning service fee $55
notary fee: $5
Passport Photos for Board of Pharmacy Application $8
State of California Board of Pharmacy: $50

About $250

i tried so hard to get a job in a pharmacy here in nys. 4 years, no luck. I volunteered with a clinical pharmacist, 3 months later i have a pretty comfy part time job doing research. Can't beat that, but still not an easy thing to do. IMO volunteering shows commitment.

i tried so hard to get a job in a pharmacy here in nys. 4 years, no luck. I volunteered with a clinical pharmacist, 3 months later i have a pretty comfy part time job doing research. Can't beat that, but still not an easy thing to do. IMO volunteering shows commitment.

I agree. In order for me to volunteer over the summer, which is the only time they will let you, I had to fill out an application, submit my resume, send my college transcripts and get two letters of recommendation from my professors. And I don't even get paid! I think volunteering shows a lot more commitment.

I agree. In order for me to volunteer over the summer, which is the only time they will let you, I had to fill out an application, submit my resume, send my college transcripts and get two letters of recommendation from my professors. And I don't even get paid! I think volunteering shows a lot more commitment.

make sure its in the field of pharmacy, but i do agree, you still would need a job in pharmacy as well