Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT782

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Chris, and I am new to these message boards. I was wondering if I could get any advice from other pre-osteopathic students out there. I am currently a third year nursing student and have been interested in pursuing osteopathic medical school for over a year now. I took my g chem 1 and 2 this summer, along with bio1 and 2, and just sat for the MCAT today. Big mistake... never take that thing without orgo or physics... but I am sure you all knew that already. I am sure my scores are going to be well below average. My science GPA so far is a 3.3 (with g chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, biochem, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology). My overall GPA is a 3.4. Is it a good idea to try and apply like I normally would next summer, or should I wait an extra year and work on bringing my grades and MCAT up? Help! I need some direction here. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Chris!!! :clap: :clap:

Chris, I think you are probably right on track to apply for the entering class of 2004. Your GPAs are decent for DO schools, get a good MCAT score, make sure you have good ECs and exposure to DOs, and you should be pretty competitive.

Take your physics and O chem, study hard for the MCAT (if you end up not doing as well as you like this time around), and you should be in good shape. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry if you blow this MCAT. You can chalk it up to experience. Your grades are well within range and your experience is good. You definitely need the organic chemistry and the physics. I took them and I'm still wondering if it was the same orgo and physics that I studied on the MCAT.

Thank all of you for your help and reassurance. I am kind of new to this whole pre-med thing, and it can be really confusing. Thank you again for replying! :)

Chris :)