Any AOA approved ACGME TY's or Prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Induc(junc)tion

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is as above. The reason I ask is because I am applying to ACGME anesthesia programs, and would only like to go through the allopathic match. I will be applying to both categorical and advanced programs. By doing it this way, it will spare me of only being able to apply to advanced positions or scarmbling for an AOA intern year? Anyone have any advice for someone in my situation? Is there a published list somewhere of AOA approved ACGME TY's or Prelims? Thanks so much.
 

I found about ten location that offered DO internships and MD ACGME institutions. I wanted to Internal medicine and they allowed the DO internship to be counted both as a rotating internship and as a the fist year of a ACGME approved internal medicine residency. Other than my months on Pediatrics, OB-GYN and Family Practice I had the same schedule as the ACGME internal medicine residents.

Look in the DO opportunities book for institutions that offer AOA internships at large institutions with ACGME residencies. Then contact the program directly, often you will learn that the AOA internship will count as the PGY1 year of their ACGME program in internal medicine, Family practice, OB-GYN or whatever else you want to do a residency in. You will cut your residency training time by a year and get credit for doing an AOA internship which is required for a DO to get licensed in backward states like PA.