Any Asians in your classes>??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, i am chinese and i am currently applying to DO school. i was wondering if there are any asian people in ya'lls classes. If so could you tell me the college you are from and roughly how many are in your class..

this is not meant to offend anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

pmpndaflip said:
Do you count Indians as Asians? :smuggrin: Just going to start this august but TUNV from the list of names I saw think there are around 5-10 at most (not including south asians) Viets,Chinese, and Koreans I think. Hmmm why would it matter how many asians are in your class or just out of curiousity? Personally, I'm just hoping there would be a few hot chix no matter what race :thumbup: .

HAHA...nice..i was just wondering because i dont want to be the only asian at a school..i went skiing at salt lake city one winter..and our group were the only asians on the mountain..it was a weird feeling..ive got nothing against other races, but having grown up in an asian community, went to a highschool with tons of asians..as well as college...anything that deviates from my "norm" will feel odd..

mikeypo0 said:
HAHA...nice..i was just wondering because i dont want to be the only asian at a school..i went skiing at salt lake city one winter..and our group were the only asians on the mountain..it was a weird feeling..ive got nothing against other races, but having grown up in an asian community, went to a highschool with tons of asians..as well as college...anything that deviates from my "norm" will feel odd..
ummm yeah....think about where you were skiing :D

I am sure most schools get near the same amount of Asians??? It should probably be the least of your concerns in the application process :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if you're that concered with being surrounded by Asians, you could always go to school in Asia right? :D

hylacinerea said:
I guess if you're that concered with being surrounded by Asians, you could always go to school in Asia right? :D

haha..true..but its not THAT big of a concern.. but it is a concern..if the school is in such a small city that they've never seen an asian before..and yes..these places exist...i know of this one city that had a celebration...for havin the first stop light in the city...yes a traffic light....im from houston..a big city...so ya

You have to get used to it (I'm Asian too). I think Asians constitute the smallest number in population demographics at most places.

I have got to say that it seems that almost half of our class might be asian. I"m not exactly sure, but we do have quite a few. I'm asian as well.
TUCOM-MI

My class at COMP is something like 35-40% asian.

mikeypo0 said:
haha..true..but its not THAT big of a concern.. but it is a concern..if the school is in such a small city that they've never seen an asian before..and yes..these places exist...
oh, they exist alright. ;) sometimes i have to remind myself of that when people literally crank their heads back to stare when i walk to and from class. and no i don't have that big ass fro anymore. :p

While there are three asians in my class there are the no asians in the classes directly below and above me, if you're not counting "southeast asians"...

Edit: personally, asians that only hang out with asians freak me out.

mikeypo0 said:
First off, i am chinese and i am currently applying to DO school. i was wondering if there are any asian people in ya'lls classes. If so could you tell me the college you are from and roughly how many are in your class..

I hear NYCOM has its fair shair of Asians. PCOM, a little less.

Do you think the shortage of asains in DO school is because there just isn't that much applying?

I heard the world has a fair number of asians.

To be more correct.
- 1.2 to 1.3Billion Chinese,
- Prob. 0.5 to 1 Billion other Chino-Asian (if that is correct term???).
- 1-1.5 Billion Indian/Pakistani Asians.
- Another 0.5 Asians living abroad (Australia, EU, Russia, N.America and S.America)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~4 to 4.3 Billion Assians

-> I am considered Caucasian.. even though I claim to be Phonesian

Lady Tokimi said:
Do you think the shortage of asains in DO school is because there just isn't that much applying?

Prob because a DO degree would be looked down on, compared to MD degree. Competition is an important factor in most asian cultures.

PS. To OP. HongKong has great English Medical schools and you will be surrounding my Chinese... actually they prefer Cantonise and consider themself different than mainland china.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lady Tokimi said:

If you goto a school that has a city nearby with lots of Asians, you would find fair number of Asians in class. For instance the above poster mentioned COMP, and there are lots of Asians living in L.A. area.

Asians, Indians, Jews, and Mormons are all over-represented in medical schools across the nation. You will find asians in any medical school in the country. You won't need to worry too much about that. Good luck!

I resent that statement. Being part of the discriminated minority, there's no way most Asians would look down on DO. I'm Asian, I chose DO, and wouldn't do it any other ways

Bubblefish said:
I resent that statement. Being part of the discriminated minority, there's no way most Asians would look down on DO. I'm Asian, I chose DO, and wouldn't do it any other ways

I agree! I'm from a competitive Indian background and my parents are just fine with me attending a DO school.

That is fine. Don't resent anything and don't get all worked up.

If you care to believe it or not... if you don't... DON'T READ ON!

Just sit back and ask these question. Remember I have parents that are old fassion and not western grown/new age. What are my parents, or other response to you when explaining DO philosophy to them.

They will ask you if it is an MD. You say no but it is physician. They will say why is it not an MD. You say cause it is called DO. They will say is this Naturalpathetic. You answer no... it is completely the same as MD. They will answer, why is it not called MD then. You say cause of history and development from over 125 years. They will ask you what is the difference... you say.. well hollistic approach to medicine and OMT. What is OMT... well something like Physiotherapy... ohhh so you going to be a physiotherapist.. NOooooooooooooo.

Then they will go and ask a friend. And the friend will say ... oh yeah it is for those who can't get into med school... MD... so they do DO.

They will come back and tell you this... you say .. NOOOOOooo NOT true... They will say well I got this info from a good family friend who is an MD and he told me that. Then they will tell you I also read it on USNews. "getting the other medical degree".

REALITY BITES but that is the case.

DoctorRama said:
I agree! I'm from a competitive Indian background and my parents are just fine with me attending a DO school.

Look at your previous post: June 1st I think.... re: when to stop caring what parents think about DO.

I feel your pain, snuffles04. I have relatives who are elitist and think MD is the only way to go, and that DO is inferior. But guess who got into medical school and who didn't?

docbill said:
Look at your previous post: June 1st I think.... re: when to stop caring what parents think about DO.

I feel your pain, snuffles04. I have relatives who are elitist and think MD is the only way to go, and that DO is inferior. But guess who got into medical school and who didn't?
hey docbill,
dr rama's post in this thread said her PARENTS dont care. her previous post (from the other thread) was talking about her RELATIVES. there is a difference.

so are you going to DO school only b/c you couldn't get into an MD school?

i remember interviewing at CCOM last year... we walked into a lecture hall during a class.... place was full of south asians and east asians!!

1hotaartichoke said:
hey docbill,
dr rama's post in this thread said her PARENTS dont care. her previous post (from the other thread) was talking about her RELATIVES. there is a difference.

so are you going to DO school only b/c you couldn't get into an MD school?

Yeahhhh NOOOOOOOooo

So what you are saying is that I am wrong.

Most Asian/Indian/Arabic/Jewish Parents would be totally fine with DO degree and not say oh my son could not make it as an MD.

That is fine we disagree. But for the record, I tell my parents it medical school. I don't get into the whole MD DO field.

Am I going into DO b/c I couldn't get into an MD school??? Yes and NO.

After I wrote all the reasons, I realised that I don't need to explain my reasons to you.

But I previously posted, in my 1000+ post. Either choice of degree will both get me to what I want to be. A PHYSICIAN. If one is so concerned about the initials, they should go MD.

Doing a little research would help. The info is out there.

2003 Annual Report on Osteopathic Medicine
Page 27

Total Enrollment and Percentage Enrollment for School Year 2002-2003

Asian/Pacific Islander

AZCOM - 74 - 13.6%
CCOM - 131 - 20.4%
DMU - 35 - 4.4%
KCOM - 77 - 12.2%
LECOM - 77 - 10.7%
MSUCOM - 66 - 12.5%
NSUCOM - 127 - 16.8%
NYCOM - 321 - 28.0%
OSUCOM - 15 - 4.3%
OU-COM - 40 - 9.3%
PCOM - 104 - 10.3%
PCSOM - 10 - 4.0%
TUCOM - 104 - 23.5%
UHSCOM (now Kansas City Uni) - 82 - 9.2%
UMDNJ-SOM - 71 - 21.7%
UNECOM - 36 - 7.7%
UNTHSC/TCOM - 126 - 26.3%
Western U/COMP - 271 - 38.6%
WVSOM - 15 - 4.9%

NYCOM data includes the Accelerated Program for Emigre Physicians (APEP) students

First Year Enrollment of Asian/Pacific Islander in DO schools 1993-2002
Page 24

1993 - 203
1994 - 243
1995 - 272
1996 - 307
1997 - 353
1998 - 476
1999 - 455
2000 - 493
2001 - 472
2002 - 450

First year enrollment for Asian/Pacific Islander for 2002-2003 is 14.6%
Total enrollment for Asian/Pacific Islander for 2002-2003 is 15.6%
For the Class of 2003, 17.4% were Asian/Pacific Islander

According to the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), in the Class of 2004, there were 3166 Asians (excluding Native Hawaiin/OPI) out of a total graduates of 15,821. That's 20.0%

Whether or not the 20.0% (MD class of 2004) compare to 17.4% (DO Class of 2003) is statistically significant - well, i'll have docbill do the statistical analysis since he/she is in a PhD program and was the one who made the statement (all in good fun, eh)

Sources:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/factsgrads1.htm
http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/slideshow/index.html

Group Theory,

Thanks for the info. I guess the best thing is stats.

-------------------------------------------------------

So there are many Asians in DO schools. Nothing wrong with that.

Just to bring your attention to something. I was reply to one of the post above asking why there are not that many asians... I did not search or anything. I answered Prob. (I should have put disclosure... I am not an expert.. I am talking out of my ASS). Unless I reference something... then it is simply my opinion/observation.

I still stand by the previous statements about Traditional Asian/Indian etc... parents not being thrilled by DO option over MD. BUT AGAIN. I am NOT an expert and just speaking from personal experience.

group_theory said:
Doing a little research would help. The info is out there.

2003 Annual Report on Osteopathic Medicine
Page 27

Total Enrollment and Percentage Enrollment for School Year 2002-2003

Asian/Pacific Islander

AZCOM - 74 - 13.6%
CCOM - 131 - 20.4%
DMU - 35 - 4.4%
KCOM - 77 - 12.2%
LECOM - 77 - 10.7%
MSUCOM - 66 - 12.5%
NSUCOM - 127 - 16.8%
NYCOM - 321 - 28.0%
OSUCOM - 15 - 4.3%
OU-COM - 40 - 9.3%
PCOM - 104 - 10.3%
PCSOM - 10 - 4.0%
TUCOM - 104 - 23.5%
UHSCOM (now Kansas City Uni) - 82 - 9.2%
UMDNJ-SOM - 71 - 21.7%
UNECOM - 36 - 7.7%
UNTHSC/TCOM - 126 - 26.3%
Western U/COMP - 271 - 38.6%
WVSOM - 15 - 4.9%

NYCOM data includes the Accelerated Program for Emigre Physicians (APEP) students

First Year Enrollment of Asian/Pacific Islander in DO schools 1993-2002
Page 24

1993 - 203
1994 - 243
1995 - 272
1996 - 307
1997 - 353
1998 - 476
1999 - 455
2000 - 493
2001 - 472
2002 - 450

First year enrollment for Asian/Pacific Islander for 2002-2003 is 14.6%
Total enrollment for Asian/Pacific Islander for 2002-2003 is 15.6%
For the Class of 2003, 17.4% were Asian/Pacific Islander

According to the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), in the Class of 2004, there were 3166 Asians (excluding Native Hawaiin/OPI) out of a total graduates of 15,821. That's 20.0%

Whether or not the 20.0% (MD class of 2004) compare to 17.4% (DO Class of 2003) is statistically significant - well, i'll have docbill do the statistical analysis since he/she is in a PhD program and was the one who made the statement (all in good fun, eh)

Sources:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/factsgrads1.htm
http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/slideshow/index.html

excellent stats.. its funny how, without knowing the stats, i didnt apply to OSUCOM,OUCOM,DMU ...all with the lowest % of asians...

At UNECOM, which is located in one of the whitest states-Maine, there are 10 minority students in the class of 2008(8 Asian and Asian Indian, 1 Hispanic and 1 African-American). UNECOM is diligently working to increase diversity in the upcoming classes.

I know what you mean about not wanting to be the only one. At first, that is how I felt when I was applying to UNECOM, my first choice. I am the only black student out of the three classes and the second African -American female to ever be accepted since the school opened. It has been an exciting and interesting experience and of course challenging. I would encourage you to look at other qualities of the school besides the number of ethnic minorities represented in the school. It is important but looking over how much I have learned over the past year, I am glad I came to UNECOM and feel fortunate for the great education and mentorship I am receiving. (And who can beat a beautiful campus and living and studying by the beach).

Also, be aware that wherever you go, you will encounter racism. It is important to interview the school to see how they will support minority students in these situations especially during the clinical years. I was accepted at a prestigious MD school that had a strong number of minority students represented in each class. However, the school did not back up these students when faced with racial incidents during rotations.

So- I recommend -ask minority students of where you are interested in applying what are their experiences. However, don't be afraid to apply to schools that do not have any minorities if you are interested in the program.

Hope this helps!!

mikeypo0 said:

No not a single one...they aren't allowed...in fact no one is.. I'm not even allowed.

mikeypo0 said:

Lots of Asians and Indians at NYCOM :)

moonbeam18 said:
Lots of Asians and Indians at NYCOM :)
i think it's asian parents' problem. it seems there are no better jobs other than med or law for their kids.

Just out of curiosity, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but I noticed that DO students spend a lot of time defending and justifying their degree. Its always the first thing I hear when I meet a DO student. I actually don't really care and most of my classmates (MD students) rarely even think about, let alone talk about DOs. In my opinion, if I had to spend as much time as DOs do in defending their degree, I would just not do it all. I'd hate to viewed as someone who just whines and bitches because no one knows what the two initials after my name are. Oh by the way, I know my post is a little off topic, but I'm asian too, so I thought this thread was interesting....

-peace

Most DOs spend the most time justifying the DO degree to themselves (premed stage), other premeds, friends/family/relatives. Unfortunately very few patients will notice that their doc is a DO instead of an MD

The reason for this "justification" is that the DO degree is virtually unknown to the public. As a result, when people find out about it, and told it's the professional and legal equivalent of MDs, people are hesistant (how can there be a seperate degree but offers the exact same priviledges?)

Also, there are a lot of misconceptions out there. Check out the pre-DO board and go through its history. You will see some questions - most are repeats, while others come out of nowhere (ie., can't practice in a town with a population greater than 16k, etc)

You will also notice a trend if you look at the history in the Pre-DO board. Those who are really curious/ignorant about DOs get nice response. Sometimes really off-the-wall question will get sarcastic responses. Some easy-to-look up questions get acrimonious response (for example, post starting with "according to my research" but then ask a question that a quick google search will answer).

I wouldnt call it defending or whining (or bitching) about the DO degree (although that may be how some of it is perceived). I like to think I'm defining the DO degree. Of course different people have different ways of going about "defending" the degree. Look at it this way - if it weren't for DO students or DOs, would you know as much about osteopathic medicine as you do, and can somehow make it through all the misconceptions that are out there?

Have you ever encountered people with preconceived stereotypes about Asians? Do you politely correct them, ignore them, or sometimes get angry/insulted by them? Right or wrong, there are a lot of misconceptions about the DO degrees. And people react to them differently.

I guess the coolest way to defend the DO degree is to be like D'Artagnan and feel insulted everytime someone "question" the honor and integrity of the degree - and end up dueling everyone in a rapier fight to the death :)

manik said:
Just out of curiosity, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but I noticed that DO students spend a lot of time defending and justifying their degree. Its always the first thing I hear when I meet a DO student. I actually don't really care and most of my classmates (MD students) rarely even think about, let alone talk about DOs. In my opinion, if I had to spend as much time as DOs do in defending their degree, I would just not do it all. I'd hate to viewed as someone who just whines and bitches because no one knows what the two initials after my name are. Oh by the way, I know my post is a little off topic, but I'm asian too, so I thought this thread was interesting....
ummm... ok.

start a new thread in the pre-allo forum if you want to strike up some intellectual dialogue on this topic. :rolleyes:

Dude, you are from Houston. I know it's a large city but it's still in Texas. That's not exactly Asian central. If you managed to find a lot of Asians there then I'm pretty certain you can find Asians in almost any other large city. If you really want to attend a school with a lot of Asians, look at the California schools particularly TUCOM which is in the Bay area. SF/Bay area seems to have a ton of Asians. COMP also has a lot of Asians.

But you are right. Certain schools have different levels of ethnic and cultural diversity due to geography. For example, approximately 1/3 of AZCOM's class every year comprises of Mormons because Arizona borders Utah and Mesa has the second largest number of Mormons behind Salt Lake City. Likewise, the California schools have the highest number of Asians because a large percentage of Asians reside in Cali. That's just the way it is.

Haha, I have to agree with the previous poster... I've been to Houston, and when I read your original posts, that was the first thought in my mind. If you hang out primarily with Asians in *TEXAS*, then you certainly won't get lonely in the major metropolitan areas on either coast.

California is definitely Asian central. Nationally, Asians represent about 3% of the population. In San Francisco, Chinese alone represent 20% of the population. The numbers at local universities are equally gaudy: UC Berkeley has significantly more asian than white students.

novacek88 said:
Dude, you are from Houston. I know it's a large city but it's still in Texas. That's not exactly Asian central. If you managed to find a lot of Asians there then I'm pretty certain you can find Asians in almost any other large city. If you really want to attend a school with a lot of Asians, look at the California schools particularly TUCOM which is in the Bay area. SF/Bay area seems to have a ton of Asians. COMP also has a lot of Asians.

But you are right. Certain schools have different levels of ethnic and cultural diversity due to geography. For example, approximately 1/3 of AZCOM's class every year comprises of Mormons because Arizona borders Utah and Mesa has the second largest number of Mormons behind Salt Lake City. Likewise, the California schools have the highest number of Asians because a large percentage of Asians reside in Cali. That's just the way it is.

Its not like i want to go to a school that is all asian, i was just wondering the number of asians in your classes and how i dont think i will feel comfortable being the only asian in the class although i do not know for sure because ive alwasy been around asians. Even if there is one other asian person besides me i think that will be ok...the post was based on a feeling of curiousity so dont take it to heart..

And surprisingly Houston does have a decent amount of asians. But i guess your right in that all major cities have more asians..and they end up building ethnic neighborhoods like chinatown..(houston has one)

mikeypo0 said:

No, there are absolutely no 'asians' in my class. Thats right, none whatsoever. I went on my medical school orientation, there were no 'asians' there either. I go to Tokyo University. Nope, no 'asians' here.

WHERE ARE ALL THE 'ASIANS'???????????

The round-eyed ones have hijacked the thread and changed the topic!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, there is too much self-segregation among ethinc minorities. Race, it seems, is a much biggers issue among the minorities themselves rather than the majority. Some of these concerns are valid. Others are just self-propagating paranioa. And I am "asian," if that matters to you.

mikeypo0 said:
Its not like i want to go to a school that is all asian, i was just wondering the number of asians in your classes and how i dont think i will feel comfortable being the only asian in the class although i do not know for sure because ive alwasy been around asians. Even if there is one other asian person besides me i think that will be ok...the post was based on a feeling of curiousity so dont take it to heart..

And surprisingly Houston does have a decent amount of asians. But i guess your right in that all major cities have more asians..and they end up building ethnic neighborhoods like chinatown..(houston has one)

Houston has a China town? Wow, that's an interesting development. I was there 4 years ago and they had some Chinese areas but hardly what I would call a China Town. I guess it's grown a bit in the last 4 years.

I don't feel that I need specifically "asians" in my school. However, I'd feel more comfortable with a nice and diverse student body, all races included.

Dies Irae said:
The round-eyed ones have hijacked the thread and changed the topic!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, there is too much self-segregation among ethinc minorities. Race, it seems, is a much biggers issue among the minorities themselves rather than the majority. Some of these concerns are valid. Others are just self-propagating paranioa. And I am "asian," if that matters to you.

Have you ever invited some white people to an all Asian party. I'm Hispanic and some of my best friends happen to be Asian. I have been to Asian parties often. When I tried to invite some of my friends who happen to be white to the party, they refuse to attend because they don't like being the only white people at the party. They were not being racist and many of their friends were at the party but they just didn't feel comfortable with being the only white people there. So many white people accuse minorities of being sensitive and isolationist yet when many white people are in a similar situation they freak out because they are suddenly the minority. The hypocrisy is truly amusing

novacek88 said:
Have you ever invited some white people to an all Asian party. I'm Hispanic and some of my best friends happen to be Asian. I have been to Asian parties often. When I tried to invite some of my friends who happen to be white to the party, they refuse to attend because they don't like being the only white people at the party. They were not being racist and many of their friends were at the party but they just didn't feel comfortable with being the only white people there. So many white people accuse minorities of being sensitive and isolationist yet when many white people are in a similar situation they freak out because they are suddenly the minority. The hypocrisy is truly amusing

Well I don't know if I agree with you fully on this.
Imagine you are caucacian in an Asian country. That is a different story.

Either way most Asians born or raised in N.America are fairly well integrated in to american culture. So this is not a major issue. At least I don't see it to be. I have a Korean, Chinese, Japanese, pakistani and Indian friends. No difference to me. As long as they adapt to western culture and identity (as I did) then the question of identity doesn't really come up.

I personally don't look for one type of cultural / ethnic background. I prefer meeting people from everywhere. I have actually met people from all over the world. Actually had girl friends from 5 continents. Hhhhhmmm who else can put that on their CV or PS.

Hehehehe. :laugh:

docbill said:
Well I don't know if I agree with you fully on this.
Imagine you are caucacian in an Asian country. That is a different story.

Either way most Asians born or raised in N.America are fairly well integrated in to american culture. So this is not a major issue. At least I don't see it to be. I have a Korean, Chinese, Japanese, pakistani and Indian friends. No difference to me. As long as they adapt to western culture and identity (as I did) then the question of identity doesn't really come up.

I personally don't look for one type of cultural / ethnic background. I prefer meeting people from everywhere. I have actually met people from all over the world. Actually had girl friends from 5 continents. Hhhhhmmm who else can put that on their CV or PS.

Hehehehe. :laugh:

The Asian people at the party were Asian Americans or AMERICANS. They were speaking English not Mandarin. They are not integrated into American culture, they are a part of American culture. Your example doesn't fit the situation at all. If one is going to complain that his or her Asian, Indian, Japanese friends etc. are hanging out too often with their own crowd then imagine how they must feel on a daily basis. I don't complain when I go to a party and I'm the only Hispanic there among nearly all caucasians. I don't call my white friends and tell them that I don't want to show up to the party for fear that I will be the only Hispanic there. It's just hypocrisy regardless of how you try to justify it.

novacek88 said:
The Asian people at the party were Asian Americans or AMERICANS. They were speaking English not Mandarin. They are not integrated into American culture, they are a part of American culture. Your example doesn't fit the situation at all. If one is going to complain that his or her Asian, Indian, Japanese friends etc. are hanging out too often with their own crowd then imagine how they must feel on a daily basis. I don't complain when I go to a party and I'm the only Hispanic there among nearly all caucasians. I don't call my white friends and tell them that I don't want to show up to the party for fear that I will be the only Hispanic there. It's just hypocrisy regardless of how you try to justify it.

What are you talking about... what am I trying to justify.

I don't know if my message came across.

SUMMARY: I DON'T CARE WHAT SOMEONES BACKGROUND IS. Most integrated or Part of American culture blend in/FIT IN just perfect to me.

novacek88 said:

I don't go to many all asian parties, because I don't feel the need to assert my racial identity. How can you expect them to not feel awkward if you create a social group based upon race and then invite others who are from another ethnicity? I know very well that I am both Chinese and American, and i do not need to limit my social sphere to other Chinese people. I prefer a diverse group of friends, because actually getting to know different groups of people is the best way to handle all the racial stigmas that still exist today.

docbill said:
That is fine. Don't resent anything and don't get all worked up.

If you care to believe it or not... if you don't... DON'T READ ON!

Just sit back and ask these question. Remember I have parents that are old fassion and not western grown/new age. What are my parents, or other response to you when explaining DO philosophy to them.

They will ask you if it is an MD. You say no but it is physician. They will say why is it not an MD. You say cause it is called DO. They will say is this Naturalpathetic. You answer no... it is completely the same as MD. They will answer, why is it not called MD then. You say cause of history and development from over 125 years. They will ask you what is the difference... you say.. well hollistic approach to medicine and OMT. What is OMT... well something like Physiotherapy... ohhh so you going to be a physiotherapist.. NOooooooooooooo.

Then they will go and ask a friend. And the friend will say ... oh yeah it is for those who can't get into med school... MD... so they do DO.

They will come back and tell you this... you say .. NOOOOOooo NOT true... They will say well I got this info from a good family friend who is an MD and he told me that. Then they will tell you I also read it on USNews. "getting the other medical degree".

REALITY BITES but that is the case.

:thumbdown:

what's an asian?

novacek88 said:
I don't call my white friends and tell them that I don't want to show up to the party for fear that I will be the only Hispanic there. It's just hypocrisy regardless of how you try to justify it.

Identity and the sense of belonging is a rudimentary human need. Minority Americans default to their ethnic identities, because there is no overarching sense of "Americanism" that can encompass them along with whites. If I went to another country, no one will ever point to me and say, "look, an American." But does that mean I'm Chinese? I've spent less than four years of my life in China, I'm a US citizen, and I can bearly read any Chinese.

Even IF it's hypocrisy, as an immigrant or recent decendant of an immigrant, isn't there the slightest repsonsibility on the part of the immigrant to attempt to take part in mainstream society? Not every social organization considered "American" is all-white, depending on the demographics of the area of its members, but every Asian social organization is all Asian, every Hispanic social organization is all Hispanic, every African American social organization is all African American, because they are literally advertised as such. For what reason would a white person want to join something called the "Asian-American society?"

docbill said:
SUMMARY: I DON'T CARE WHAT SOMEONES BACKGROUND IS. Most integrated or Part of American culture blend in/FIT IN just perfect to me.

If people genuinely agreed with a statement like this, you would not hear people ask, "yo, where be all da AzN's at?!"

jay228 said:
what's an asian?

I suppose it means someone from the Asian continent.

IMG_1543.jpg

Portier said:
IMG_1543.jpg
[/QUO

So Im cruising the osteopathic boards readin bout DO asains and who's ugly mug do I see doing his best James Bond, but Ray from UNF. Big head Todd here, whats up man? Dude, I laughed for about 10 minutes at that picture.