Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im goin to catch up now

Members don't see this ad.

I am just checking in...happy holidays everyone!

School is out so let the party begin....:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ladies!

I'm so happy to see this post...it helps so much to hear good things from Black women seeking to be part of the field as well as those who are already there. I recently got an MPH and am doing HIV/substance abuse research and awaiting interviews (I applied a bit late, but better late than never I guess).

Any words of encouragement? Im starting to feel a bit afraid that I havent heard anything yet except from one school (Brown--interview in the 1st week of March). No rejections, but no interviews either...how many of you are (or were) in the same boat?

Hello everyone! Just wanted to check in and boost the thread. Talk to you all later have a great day everyone. :D

hi everyone!

i just wanted to stop by and say hello! just curious, are there any ladies here from either duke or mount sinai? if so, i'd love to chat about your experiences :)

(I applied a bit late, but better late than never I guess).

Any words of encouragement? Im starting to feel a bit afraid that I havent heard anything yet except from one school (Brown--interview in the 1st week of March). No rejections, but no interviews either...how many of you are (or were) in the same boat?

Well I'm kinda in that boat. I applied mid October and didnt become complete at most of my schools until late Nov/ early Dec...and two just this week. So far two interview invites (Howard and University of Florida) and one acceptance (Howard):D . No rejections and no waitlists. I'm still waiting to hear. This process is the worst....I just wish we could know whats going on behind the scenes. Anyhow good luck with Brown and hopefully we both hear something soon from our other schools!!:luck: :luck:

Hey guys, just a quick question. If someone is going to apply to 10-15 schools how many LOR's do they need? I mean like can you have a particular letter sent to more than one school b/c I don't see how that's possible if the writer has to send it to the schools. Can you make copies of the letters so that you have enough to go to each school b/c they are asking for multiple letters/school. So I guess the question is if you apply to 10 schools do you need to have 10 separate letters? Sorry for the babbling! :D

Hey guys, just a quick question. If someone is going to apply to 10-15 schools how many LOR's do they need? I mean like can you have a particular letter sent to more than one school b/c I don't see how that's possible if the writer has to send it to the schools. Can you make copies of the letters so that you have enough to go to each school b/c they are asking for multiple letters/school. So I guess the question is if you apply to 10 schools do you need to have 10 separate letters? Sorry for the babbling! :D

The recommenders would take care of sending it out to the different schools. you would be lucky and at times fortunate if they give you a copy or otherwise let you see it. Your undergraduate institution may use a premedical committee letter or you could have the letters sent through Virtual Evals or Interfolio. I have not used these services but others on here who have can speak to their experiences with them. I prefer the old fashioned way.

Yes, you would need separate letters unless the letters would be accessed via a letter retrieval service like Virtual Evals or Interfolio.

I hope that thsoe who have used either of them or both will give you a heads up about them.

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen!

Thanks jsnuka!! I am so nervous about applying this year b/c I have heard about so many things going wrong so I am trying to get info on at least some things. ;)

Hello everyone! Well it's back to the books, the semester has officially began again. Take care everyone and good luck. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ladies!!! I'm really excited because I just recieved an interview invite from GW!!! :D To all of those still in the process this cycle keep holding on to hope and have faith. I have truly learned that patience is a virtue in this process. Again good luck to all!:luck: :luck:

Hello everyone, what's going on! Just wanted to say hello. I just finished my 2nd day of classes and everything seems to be OK so far. I am not going in with any negative thoughts, just optimism and the plan to work hard. I hope you guys have a great day wherever you are.;)

Just stopping through to say HELLO!!!!!:love:

Hey I'm thinking to apply to some pre-med summer enrichment programs, and I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any good ones? I would prefer one that is pre-med rather than research based. Thanks!

Oh BTW... I'm a junior, and I will not be applying to the one offered by the AAMC b/c there programs is targeted towards freshman and sophomores now...

Hey freelove! I attended the SMEP program sponsored by the Robert Wood Johnson foundation. You can find the application online at the AAMC website. I think it's called SMDEP now. I had a great time and it really helped me a lot with everything in this process. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey PHD2007. Just got back from GW....Oh my goodness!!! I absolutely LOVE that place:) I am really praying to get in there:D

Hey everybody!! Just wanted to say that my first week of classes went very smooth, including Orgo II!! I know, I know! My Orgo I and Orgo II instructor said that they thought I should try it so I did. And thanks to you guys for all your sound advice also. I wasn't very clear about what was taught in II so I was going to wait, but I'm glad I went on to take it. I know this is only the 1st week, but I feel really good about it. I went over some of last semesters notes to refresh myself, and some of the concepts I had trouble with then I now understand. The dien/dienophile stuff was pretty easy but I will be reviewing class notes tonight and this weekend. Hope everyone had a good week back to school and for those who didn't break, hold on!! :D

Hey polycon7,
GW is great!!!! I'm excited about getting in there. Good Luck to you!!!!!!!!:love:

Hey everyone!!! I'm new here, just wanted to somewhat introduce myself. I'm happy to see such a positive thread where everyone is so supportive of each other. Good luck to all those going through the application process.

Welcome Shorti and Happy New year (I know it's sort of late but better late than never!). :p

I posted on the male side, maybe some of the ladies can use it too.

Take a look at some of these.

http://www.training.nih.gov/student/

http://www.kff.org/about/jordanscholars.cfm (deadline has passed, but maybe this will help someone else)

http://minorityhealth.org/p-student.html

http://www.yale.edu/necuse/N98-General.htm (the contacts may be old, but you should still be able to get some good information from this one)

http://www.usuchd.org/HDTraining.asp

Also try looking at each of the medical schools you are thinking about submitting applications to in the future. Most, if not all, medical schools have summer research programs or some sort of summer enrichment program.

Good Luck!!!!

Hey I'm thinking to apply to some pre-med summer enrichment programs, and I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any good ones? I would prefer one that is pre-med rather than research based. Thanks!

Oh BTW... I'm a junior, and I will not be applying to the one offered by the AAMC b/c there programs is targeted towards freshman and sophomores now...

The BESTEST summer enrichment program the world can offer is at UCLA (UCLA-PREP). So much fun...so much learning...great weather...stipend...great networking! Let me know if you need some more information!

Hello everyone! Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day :D

Hey You Guys!!!! It's so nice to see this thread, I just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best of luck with everything!! :) Who knows, maybe we will all bump heads one of these days! And Congrats to all of you on your invites and acceptances. I'm so excited to be entering the second phase of my life in the fall :D
Happy MLK Day!!

Happy MLK Day everyone!

These days I've been doing some reading on black physicians and scientists (dating back to 6000 B.C.). Also, I visited Richmond, VA and the historic home of Maggie L. Walker, the first African American president of a US Bank. The achievements of blacks throughout the history of this country (and the world) is inspiring and gives a boost today and always.
So, let's make a new year's pact to learn more about our foremothers and forefathers. This activity has been working miracles in my own life!

Hello everyone just wanted to stop in to make sure you all were alright!! :D
GraC that's a good idea!!

Good Morning Everyone! I hope everyones' semester is going well!!!:D

:sleep: Hello, Hello, Hello!! Hope everyone is doing well. Well the weekend is almost here and I am overdo all ready. I am fine in class, I just need to get some more darn sleep. :sleep: Well I have to go and do some Orgo problems so I can be prepared for my tutor session tonight. Talk to you all later.

Hi Ladies (and gents)!

I hope all is well where you are! Today I heard an inspiring lecture by Dr. LaSalle D. Leffall Jr who spoke about the contributions of black surgeons including Charles Drew (who actually taught Dr. Leffall!)! It's such a blessing I was able to attend the lecture (my qualifying oral exam a mere 2 weeks away). I'm feeling positive positive vibes. And I'm sending them on to you!

~GraC

hi all, I'm a first-year black female pre-med... still not in my second semester yet. We start January 29th.

I am too lol I don't feel alone anymore! What school do you attend?

Hi, I'm at Wellesley C.
Where are you?
I'm excited about starting the new semester, especially after finding this forum. Now I feel like i have "some" type of direction, lol although i'm still feeling a little:scared:

Hi, I'm at Wellesley C.
Where are you?
I'm excited about starting the new semester, especially after finding this forum. Now I feel like i have "some" type of direction, lol although i'm still feeling a little:scared:

Girl I know, lol hey at least we will be in the process together you know? I go to Spelman but I know you will do well this semester and you should check out smdep.com/org as well as the leadership alliance on their page for internships. Take care =)

To all my older sisters I hope yall are doin well and I know yall are doin it big too.

:love: YAY!! A black female thread!! So nice to see this. I saw the one for the guys. I did not know there were SO many smart black men entering into medicine...when I was at Emory for undergrad, I hardly saw any!!! I am applying MD and DO, I turned in my applications the end of November/start of December (I know, I applied really late, shame on me) and so far have gotten one acceptance, and interviews,(PCOM-GA, WVSOM, Vermont Medical School, Uniformed Military Medical School of Health Sciences, etc.) Now I am waiting to here from Meharry and Morehouse (App.completed this week)..I wont turn down the interview for those, since they are close to my home. Most schools I have turned down interviews due to location, or they were my back ups. No rejections so far:luck: Where are all of you applying/accepted to, etc.

R~

Status
Not open for further replies.