Any books I should keep after graduating med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dubins
First aid
step up to medicine
etc...

Current 4th year, passed all board exams and PE.

any books that others kept and felt that was needed or helped as a resident or just sell them all because they are paper weights for me now?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bout to throw out first aid, too. I’d keep dubins if you’ll be reading ekgs though

You mean you don't want a bookshelf full of these paperweights to show off to your future patients?!?

10/10 jk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you don't want a bookshelf full of these paperweights to show off to your future patients?!?

10/10 jk

Pretty much. You can keep the books to make a nice looking study in your future house.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely keep Savarese. You’ll want to have it handy in case you start to forget the locations of Chapman’s points when you’re in clinical practice.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I had a preceptor who had her First Aid from med school. She’d take it out to pimp med students and expand on the topics in it as it relates to the clinical side. I thought it was cool.

Reactions: 4 users
I use the book of UptoDate lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’m keeping Netters cause the drawings make me happy. I want to get the pathology and surgery sets.

I referenced first aid a lot during my intern year. I still reference it maybe twice a year.

Keep your first aid. I visit that a couple times per year for a quick once over of some stuff as well as for mnemonics and lectures. Keep your dubins. i also kept my BRS books for reference and my dead book. everything else I haven't touched or threw away.

Dubins is it. Burn the rest.

I kept Savarese for my intern year so I can refresh on stuff for COMLEX 3. Haven't touched it since. I still have Robbins, and Netter, but haven't touched those. I donated the rest to a local library (probably so they can put it on a book sale for $1).

The books I got during residency (Harrison, Nelson, etc) were helpful during residency, not so much after residency. I still have a few specialty specific books (from fellowship) that I keep around, but that's because my NPs/PAs love to go through them every once in a while. I still have my board review prep books (for the specialty boards, not USMLE/COMLEX) ... but they get quickly outdated as well. Nowadays it's all digital so at least they don't take up space ... just $$$

First Aid ... just like the TI-84, it became useless immediately after it has served its purposes. I still have it out of sentimental purposes (reminds me of the time I spent with that book). Looking back, I think I spent more time studying for the board certification exams (I hold multiple certs) than USMLE/COMLEX ... but I think USMLE/COMLEX was higher stakes than the board certificatione xams. The ABMS boards are pass/fail for all purposes (you get a score back, but no one cares what the score is - only if you pass or fail). The results of USMLE/COMLEX determined if I matched and where. Will be interesting to see how pass/fail on USMLE will affect applicants.

Before you dump them all, check the resell value. Unless it’s a moving/space issue. I have opened very few of them in residency but my “I’m a doctor” bookshelf looks pretty cool (I did sell/donate a handful I was 100% sure I would never open again.

Before you dump them all, check the resell value. Unless it’s a moving/space issue. I have opened very few of them in residency but my “I’m a doctor” bookshelf looks pretty cool (I did sell/donate a handful I was 100% sure I would never open again.

Yeah I'm moving across the country, trying to take only essential stuff, like savaresse...jk

• Haha