Failed Level 2. Should I still apply this cycle after retaking in 4 weeks? What are my odds of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticallypassingorgo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the title says. Scored in low 300s. Will need about a 100 point jump in 4 weeks to pass. Is it feasible? Should I apply to the match this cycle?

I'm planning on dual applying Peds/FM. What are the odds I'm able to get into a good Midwestern program?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
What the title says. Scored in low 300s. Will need about a 100 point jump in 4 weeks to pass. Is it feasible? Should I apply to the match this cycle?

I'm planning on dual applying Peds/FM. What are the odds I'm able to get into a good Midwestern program?

I don't know level 2 that well, but it seems like a pretty low score. Were there mitigating factors? What's going to be different in 4 weeks that you're going to jump 100 points (and also be lucky to have barely passing score).

Re: residency match, I'd say you should hope to match to any program let alone some specific geography or quality. Do you mean you're applying to both pediatrics and family medicine? Not aware of dual Peds/FM programs (do they exist?) I would focus on one specialty as splitting your efforts is also going to hurt your chances as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Peds, low. You don’t have to do well but they don’t like first time failures. Apply for an audition at Oklahoma state. They’re historically DO and from my understanding value their audition more than board scores. They also just expanded to a rural track so they’ll have more spots as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got in the low 300's, then you were far from the passing level of performance. I would not plan on rushing to take the exam again. You need to fix what went wrong. If your poor performance was due to a singular event - you were ill, you got some very bad news and tried to power through, etc -- and your pre-test scores were all fine, then perhaps OK to proceed.

Reactions: 1 user
If you got in the low 300's, then you were far from the passing level of performance. I would not plan on rushing to take the exam again. You need to fix what went wrong. If your poor performance was due to a singular event - you were ill, you got some very bad news and tried to power through, etc -- and your pre-test scores were all fine, then perhaps OK to proceed.
Got a 50% on a tru-learn exam with a predicted pass 2 weeks into my 5 weeks of dedicated so thought I was fine. There was a lot going on in terms of family/moving etc. but I do think I'm lacking in knowledge in some areas. I've scheduled for 3 weeks out and will reassess how I feel at that time. Thank you for your advice.

Any thoughts on how to approach this with programs? i.e. how I may avoid being automatically screened out or how to reach out to programs with the optimistically passing score?

For what its worth, my DO school says your timed, unused question blocks on true learn should be consistently averaging at least 75% before you should feel comfortable sitting for level 2

For what its worth, my DO school says your timed, unused question blocks on true learn should be consistently averaging at least 75% before you should feel comfortable sitting for level 2
My school sets 65% TrueLearn as the goal and a 500 on school COMSAE. We had a 98% COMLEX 2 pass rate last year. I think 75% might be overkill, but there are a handful of DO schools who admittedly do better in match than we do.

For OP, a 100 point jump in 4 weeks is unlikely but possible, maybe. You would probably need to overhaul your study habits, which is risky. For reference, last year for Level 1 I went from 37x to 48x on COMSAEs in about 5 weeks using a program. It was expensive and a lot of people have done it and hated it so I don't recommend across the board.

Did you take COMSAEs and are you able to identify your deficiencies?

Are there academic counselors at your school who can advise you?