Any chance for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a freshman student at Cal State San Bernardino, but i'm gonna be sophomore by the end of this spring quarter. I am positive to pursue pharmacy as a career and I wanna go for it from now on. Currently I am done with my inorganic chemistry. This fall, I wanna go for o-chem, general biology, and challenge physics courses. I am planning to apply for pharm school this fall or winter provided I have taken PCAT.

Do you think it's possible for me to apply for those schools (including ca, illinois, arizona, colorado, etc.) this year with courses (inorganic chem, math calculus, and general education) that I have taken? Well, even though I haven't taken o-chem, the requirements for those schools are by the time you enter pharm school, I'll be done with the courses.

Also, for PCAT, how long does it take you to study, especially the analogy and all the intriguing vocabularies?

They also need 1 year ENglish course. That makes me wonder how I can complete 1 year only for english = 6 sem units = 9 quarter units. I have taken 4 units for freshman composition, the other 4 units are from expository writing, and how can I complete only for 1 unit left?

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I am dealing with this problem too.. So little time, so many classes! Here's a hint.. that I have taken from many of my pre-professional friends who are planning to apply as soon as they can... Web Course/Long Distance Courses... While studying at the college, look into community college.. or other colleges for open classes to what you need. I am going to take 18 hours at my university and an additional 6 online.. It is rumored.. that you need to have all of the classes working on or done.. by Spring semester. Is this true? :rolleyes:

depends on the school you wanna go to...but it is in your best interest. ??

Members don't see this ad :)
angelil_yu said:
Hi all,

I am a freshman student at Cal State San Bernardino, but i'm gonna be sophomore by the end of this spring quarter. I am positive to pursue pharmacy as a career and I wanna go for it from now on. Currently I am done with my inorganic chemistry. This fall, I wanna go for o-chem, general biology, and challenge physics courses. I am planning to apply for pharm school this fall or winter provided I have taken PCAT.

Do you think it's possible for me to apply for those schools (including ca, illinois, arizona, colorado, etc.) this year with courses (inorganic chem, math calculus, and general education) that I have taken? Well, even though I haven't taken o-chem, the requirements for those schools are by the time you enter pharm school, I'll be done with the courses.

Also, for PCAT, how long does it take you to study, especially the analogy and all the intriguing vocabularies?

They also need 1 year ENglish course. That makes me wonder how I can complete 1 year only for english = 6 sem units = 9 quarter units. I have taken 4 units for freshman composition, the other 4 units are from expository writing, and how can I complete only for 1 unit left?

Thank you for your help

You can always apply and see what happens. But I would think it's only worth your time applying if you have a good GPA with good grades in all of your pre-reqs, plus a good PCAT score. There's quite a few threads about the PCAT that you can research to answer all of your questions.

As for completing your remaining 1 unit of English, it is okay to finish more than the minimum. ;) Some schools require a technical writing class. So I would recommend taking it even if it's more credits than you need.

Completing your pre-reqs isn't a race. I would NOT recommend taking 18 university credit hours on top of 6 online credit hours, unless you're a genius and can ace them all. Do not try to kill yourself to get done in two years. I know very few classmates who were accepted with only two years of undergrad. And I'm assuming that they had very high GPAs/PCATs to make themselves competitive with my other classmates.

I came to pharm school after 2 years... I spent every summer in summer school since the 9th grade and my senior year of high school I spent most of my time in classes at a local college (dual enrollment). So I finished 100-120 hrs by the time my 2 years were over.
You don't have to have finished your pre reqs before you apply to school. In fact it would be virtually impossible to do so. Your acceptance letter might read something like you're in as long as you make at least a C in the remainder of your prereqs.
The pcat might be difficult having not had some of the classes...
I don't know I didn't take it.

Good luck

So, bbmuffin, you spend you summer time always at school taking courses? Do you take more than 1 series of summer school?

I wanna keep up the good works that I make so far. My overall GPA is 3.93, I messed up with Kinesiology 205: Foundation for longlife Fitness, in which I got B (the teacher was pretty hard in grading). The other major classes for my major (biochem), I got A's. But I realize that grade is not everything since I have not volunteered in pharmacy area. Hhmm, a lot to do in summer.

Btw, I am international student, so if you ask me why I rush myself, I can say because I don't wanna spend so much of my parents money by taking courses that I don't really require. The tuition is pretty bad for foreign students, esp. in CA, and they wanna increase the tuition again this Fall 2004 because of the budget cut.

Well, guys, thanx for the replies

Since you are an international student make sure you go through you prospective schools website and see what they say about admitting int. students. I know at least for TX public schools it's extremely difficult to get in if you are an international student. My residency is being delayed for some reason and the dean of the school I applied to asked me what indication I have that I will become a permanent resident by Aug 25? I think that is one of the main reasons that I might not get accepted this time around despite having a decent gpa and PCAT score :scared:
In my interview they even said that my chances were pretty low.......... I saw in a website for an Arkansas school- they don't even accept applications from international students so....
But private schools don't have this stipulation and you might want to look into them.

bbmuffin said:
I came to pharm school after 2 years... I spent every summer in summer school since the 9th grade and my senior year of high school I spent most of my time in classes at a local college (dual enrollment). So I finished 100-120 hrs by the time my 2 years were over.
You don't have to have finished your pre reqs before you apply to school. In fact it would be virtually impossible to do so. Your acceptance letter might read something like you're in as long as you make at least a C in the remainder of your prereqs.
The pcat might be difficult having not had some of the classes...
I don't know I didn't take it.

Good luck

Thanks and congrats... Sounds like you were quite a busy bee! :thumbup: I really needed a positive story.. :)

It was busy but during the year I could afford to take some classes that were fun and easy. I took 3 P.E.s ice skating, bowling, and snow skiing.

Now that I am in pharmacy school I don't do any summer school as they don't allow it here. If it meant I would finish sooner (like the 3 year programs) I might take advantage of it but I can't say for sure because with the amount of work that i put in during the regular year, it is very nice to take a break.
I hope not to work too much this summer as it will be my last summer free...

3.93 GPA oughta get you accepted somewhere. Good luck :)

I agree 3.93 is high enough for you to get into at least one school, IF the rest of your package (work/voluunteer, leadership, etc.) are good enough. For Pacific pharm, the committee won't review you files until you have finished orgo 1. so if applying to pacific, keep that notion in mind before shelling out your parent's hard earned money!