Any Chance? M.S. 3.27 B.S. 2.87

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MS in Cell Biology with a gpa of 3.27 and a B.S. in biology(Wayne State) with a gpa of 2.87.

What are my chances of getting into med school? (MD).

I taught as a TA for 2 years and also as an instructor of A and P(all lecture) for a year.

I now work at Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit as a research assistant. With the free tuition I get I am considering a post bacc route. What are the steps that I need to take to become competitive?

Thanks a MILLION in advance!!!:D:love:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that your chances are on the lower end. Both your GPA's are underneath what's expected from undergraduates and graduate students. In addition, the masters is outside an SMP, so it is not going to add much.

I don't see any volunteer or MCAT score.

I would suggest you make a plan to get your undergraduate GPA up and start accepting the fact that US MD may be out of reach. The DO door would be open after a number of retakes and a high GPA w/MCAT and Volunteering. The Caribbean is open at this time.

DO schools allow for grade replacement provided the retake has the same credit hours or greater. It need not be retaken at the original school. This is a fast way to raise a low GPA if you have a limited number of really low grades.

For MD, if you can get your cGPA > 3.0 with an MCAT score of 28-30+ (depending on the program) you might get into a Special Masters Program that could override your low GPAs. See the Postbac Programs Forum for more info.

A few MD schools regard the BCPM of a traditional hard-science masters, but the GPA would need to be very high to have any impact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes have looked at the SMP through WSU a few times. Is doing one of these a guarantee of geting in to Med school? (Provided that one does well of course :smuggrin:)

When you say 3.7 GPA do you mean from the SMP or the post bacc gpa. I would have to take another's degree worth of classes to raise it that high. THis would put MD out of reach.

No, no, no. I'm talking about the SMP GPA, not the postbac.

When does the MCAT factor into the picture?? (Forgive me if this is and ignorant question)

Do some require this for admission or is it one of those things you can take afterward?

To my knowledge, you need an MCAT score to apply for SMPs, but not for a formal postbac program.

What should my strategy be in taking postbacc classes to raise my GPA? Is it better to retake classes that I didnt do well in? Take new classes I havent taken before? Or both? Again I have free tuition so I am not worried about the aspect of paying for class(maybe taking classes around my work sched).

ALso will the SMp really matter if I already taken a MS program?

When Calculating my GPA on the AMCAS calculator, do I include my withdrawals and pass/fails?

When Calculating my GPA on the AMCAS calculator, do I include my withdrawals and pass/fails?
No. They don't affect being entered or not since they don't factor into the GPA.

No. They don't affect being entered or not since they don't factor into the GPA.

Hey thanks!!!
I am aware that all these things show up on the application however for purposes of calculating my GPA I left off all grades that essentially had 0 quality points(since all classes have credits).