Any chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zapages

Scientist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm Senior at Seton Hall University, who is doing a double major in Biology and Biochemistry. My overall GPA is a 3.482.

I'm getting three letters of recommendation letters from my 1) Advisor/Chair person for the Biology Department 2) My professor who I worked on Fungi Growth Simulator 3) My professor who I am doing research on Drosophila flies.

I just received a pamphlet in the mail detailing about Temples' podiatric school. I decided to do some research. I really got interested in their dual degree of Biomedical Engineering and DPM degree or just doing the DPM and then going into Orthopedic surgery. Also I checked some of the MCAT requirements are not that high, I am horrible standardized test taker... Thus, my real fall in them as I received a 14R on them. :(

Here are some of my activities:
I help out(volunteer) in my local community/neighborhood.
President for Biology Society
on the E-Board for AED, Pre-Med Honor Society.
PR/Activities Chairperson for ACS (American Chemical Society)
MAPS - (Minority Association of Pre-Health Students)-Public Relations/Website Administrator
Prince of Persia Legacy Freelance Journalist,
I tutor children around my neighborhood in Science and Math for free.

Work Experience:
Pharmacy Technician at Walgreen Pharmacy(Since January 07)
Webmaster/Freelance Journalist-Gamespy/IGN Since January of 2001.

I've been doing research since the summer of Sophomore year.
My first research project was on Fungi(hyphen) growth for the development of anti-biotic. I created a program called Fungi Growth simulator, which would serve as a control in labs. Also I've written FAQ menu for professors or researchers that would be using it in the the future.

Since the December of 06, I'm doing research on Drosophila fruits flies and how close they are to each other genetically through their proteomes or phenotypically. We have read many research publications and we have been taking steps from them and modifying them. I've written a brand new in detail protocol specially made for what we've been doing. Aside from this, I've written two manuals on how to use the computer applications that help with the further analysis of the TEM samples that we create. Also we have created protocols for Fluorescent Microscopy analysis. Hopefully we will be doing gel electrophoresis soon.

I was the primary author for Fungi Growth Simulator. I'm most likely going to be the second author for Drosophila flies project. Both of these research have been showcased as poster presentation at Petersheim Academic Science Exposition. Additionally I've given 15 minutes speech about the Drosophila project at SURF(Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, was given $4,000 Fellowship to do research) Presentation Seminar. Also I'll hopefully be going with my professor to Albuquerque, New Mexico to showcase our research.

What do you guys think? Is there any chance of getting into a podiatric school. I was not mature enough to know about pediatric . But now I think I'm ready with the research and work experience that I'm gaining.

-Zapages

PS: Do you think there's enough time if I can still apply for the Fall of '08.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools want at least a 20 MCAT. But your other stats are strong. You won't know until you apply, so go for it. Good luck!

My advice would be to wait until next year. It is pretty late in the application cycle, and like stated above, schools do like to see a bit higher of an MCAT score. I think it would probably be in your best interest to wait and apply early in the cycle next year, but of course it is up to you on whether or not you want to wait another year. I personally took a year off b/w undergrad and pod school and wouldn't trade it for anything because you come back totally refreshed and ready to hit the books hard, and trust me, its not an easy road! Good luck to ya and I wish all the best :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm,

that mcat score is really low. I would think a 21+ would be okay.
take a year off and study for the mcat.

your background looks great though.

also, shadow a pod and get a LOR from him.

I say apply, you may be surprised...you will at least get into one school im 100% sure....
it's not that expensive...

:thumbup:

Temple tries not to accept anyone with less than a 20 on the MCAT. However, it would be in your interest to call the admissions office and explain your situation and ask for advice. That would be the best bet for you.

If you are ok with going to any of the 8 schools then you should definately apply now.:luck:

Well, depends on what you have planned for next year...if anything cool, then retake the test, get atleast a 20(22+ to be good) and apply earlier. This would to be get into a good pod school. but that is just my opinion...
However, if you really want to be in school next year, then go ahead and apply...but don't apply to those that say they take a min of 20, 16 whatever...
so go ahead and apply and you maybe in...i bet you'll get accepted atleast into one school...but then, what kind of school do you want to get into...and where?
Good luck :thumbup:

good luck getting in any school

if anyone accepts you let me know... that MCAT score is just a little too much

wow,

no offense, but i would be surpised if any school would accept you with that mcat score.

Does anyone know how full each of the podiatry schools are right now? (hopefully those that just interviewed know of the details if they were given during a campus visit).......info about this would be great, thanks.

I know Barry is about half full or just barely over half full....their class size for Fall 2008 is going to be 67

:thumbup:

Some schools claim to accept atleast a 20 on the MCAT, but often accept lower depending on your other stats. I know that DMU accepted a student from this cycle with lower than a 20 on the MCAT, but the person had a high GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats look great for podiatry school however you won't be able to do a biomedical engineering program. Engineering requires up to at least ordinary differential equations if not partial differential equations which is 2 or 3 courses past the 2 calcs required for biochemistry. I have a ChemE degree from purdue and we had to go to partial differentials. Since you are going into podiatry, you probably would be going into a biomechanical emphasis for your Phd which would require a strong base in statics, dynamics, and biomechanics I & II. Best of luck to you if you decide to go this path, and I'm sure you will make a fine podiatric physician someday. ;)

just to clarify (i think boilermaker meant)- your stats look great for podiatry EXCEPT for your MCAT score

i'd be surprised if you got in anywhere with that score

but good luck, nonetheless

Work Experience:
Pharmacy Technician at Walgreen Pharmacy(Since January 07)
Webmaster/Freelance Journalist-Gamespy/IGN Since January of 2001.

I work as a pharmacy tech as well and it worked against me. At ALL my interviews, I was asked why I didn't want to go to pharmacy school. It really didn't work the way I thought it would.

Just apply ..why can't you take the re-mcat in april? - with ur stats...you may get some conditional acceptances...

Just apply ..why can't you take the re-mcat in april? - with ur stats...you may get some conditional acceptances...

i would wait till next year.

conditional acceptances, from what ive heard, is pretty lame.

one you get them, you'll have to put a deposit to reserve your spot.
what if you dont reach the min. requirement?

i would wait, if i were you.

I was wondering the same thing.....is a 'conditional acceptance' a way for a school to make money.......i mean are these things handed out often or what. That would suck to get a point lower than what they want on the MCAT/GRE/DAT and have thrown away a 500 dollar deposit

I was wondering the same thing.....is a 'conditional acceptance' a way for a school to make money.......i mean are these things handed out often or what. That would suck to get a point lower than what they want on the MCAT/GRE/DAT and have thrown away a 500 dollar deposit

I feel a large portion of conditional acceptances are given out to students who have a very good academic record, EC's, etc but lack a placement test score at that time. This was my situation. Furthermore, the required scores on the MCAT from the schools I received cond acceptances from (6 schools minus AZPOD and Temple) ranged from 16-20. Honestly, a 20 is so low as it is especially considering the average of everyone who takes the test is 24. IMO, I would not disregard conditional acceptances at all.

I'm a sophomore with a 3.63 GPA and planning to take the MCAT/DAT this summer or next fall. Would I stand a chance at getting a conditional acceptance to School for the 2010-2011 year? Would they even give a conditional acceptance a year ahead of time?

you'll need to have your MCAT/DAT before theyll even accept you for this year

just to clarify (i think boilermaker meant)- your stats look great for podiatry EXCEPT for your MCAT score

i'd be surprised if you got in anywhere with that score

but good luck, nonetheless

I agree. The original poster needs to take the MCAT again to prove themselves in that area. We shouldn't be looking for what is the minimun scores to get in but be looking at how competitive we can be in order to get the best candidates possible. There is a big attrition rate at pod schools because of people only looking at the minimum required and then they are not ready for what lies ahead. This is a medical career and we are dealing with things that affect the quality of other people's lives. Everyone who has really low stats should consider if they can be successful in Pod school and if they believe they can, then they should do something to prove it beforehand.

I am a big believer of upward trends. I know some start out bad and then turn things around. That is great and a positive thing because it shows you are capable of doing well. But it is not good when there is no evidence of being a strong candidate. I applaud the original poster's good GPA. But it is in their best interest to get a decent MCAT score also in order to show consistancy.