Any chance of getting into a Pharm D program as a transfer student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zapages

Scientist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new here. :) I'm Senior at Seton Hall University, who is doing a double major in Biology and Biochemistry. My overall GPA is a 3.4.

I'm getting three letters of recommendation letters from my 1) Advisor/Chair person for the Biology Department 2) My professor who I worked on Fungi Growth Simulator 3) My professor who I am doing research on Drosophila flies.

As I was doing the Pharmcas application. I was wondering is there any chance that I will be accepted as a transfer student into a Pharm D programs, specifically: MCPHS, Albany, Tuoro, Purdue, Oregon, University of Illinois at Chicago and Rutgers.

Here are some of my activities:
I help out(volunteer) in my local community/neighborhood.
President for Biology Society
on the E-Board for AED, Pre-Med Honor Society.
PR/Activities Chairperson for ACS (American Chemical Society)
MAPS - (Minority Association of Pre-Health Students)-Public Relations/Website Administrator
Prince of Persia Legacy Freelance Journalist,
I tutor children around my neighborhood in Science and Math for free.

Work Experience:
Pharmacy Technician at Walgreen Pharmacy(Since January, will taking my PTCB in January of 08)
Webmaster/Freelance Journalist-Gamespy/IGN Since January of 2001.

I've been doing research since the summer of Sophomore year.
My first research project was on Fungi(hyphen) growth for the development of anti-biotic. I created a program called Fungi Growth simulator, which would serve as a control in labs. Also I've written FAQ menu for professors or researchers that would be using it in the the future.

Since the December of 06, I'm doing research on Drosophila fruits flies and how close they are to each other genetically through their proteomes or phenotypically. We have read many research publications and we have been taking steps from them and modifying them. I've written a brand new in detail protocol specially made for what we've been doing. Aside from this, I've written two manuals on how to use the computer applications that help with the further analysis of the TEM samples that we create. Also we have created protocols for Fluorescent Microscopy analysis. Hopefully we will be doing gel electrophoresis soon.

I was the primary author for Fungi Growth Simulator. I'm most likely going to be the second author for Drosophilia flies project. Both of these research have been showcased as poster presentation at Petersheim Academic Science Exposition. Additionally I've given 15 minutes speech about the Drosophila project at SURF Presentation Seminar. Also I'll hopefully be going with my professor to Albuquerque, New Mexico to showcase our research.

What do you guys think? Is there any chance of getting into a Pharm D program. I really want to go into pharmacy. I was not mature enough nor did I know too much about pharmacy during High school. But now I think I'm ready with the research and work experience that I'm gaining.

-Zapages

PS: I don't wish to take the PCATs as I don't think I'm ready for them nor there is enough time. I think for Fall of 08.

Members don't see this ad.

Your overall GPA, LOR's, and experience/extracurricular activities look good to me. However, with no PCAT, you will have to apply to the schools don't require PCAT and their accepted applicants usually have a very high GPA of 3.7+ and/or already obtained a BS degree. There are not that many schools that do not require PCAT. I know Albany is one of them. I have 3.75 overall GPA but still got denied. LECOM was one of them too but this year is the first year they require PCAT. Most of the schools in CA do not require PCAT but they require you to have BS degree and high GPA. With PCAT, you can apply to many schools and increase your chance to get accepted. An important thing to keep in mind...APPLY EARLY. June would be the best time to submit your PharmCAS application. It will help you a lot if the school has rolling admission. I submitted my application in June with 61 PCAT score, 3.75 overall GPA, 3.83 science GPA, 4 mos CVS pharmacy experience. I applied to LECOM, got an interview and already got accepted for Fall 2008. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Your overall GPA, LOR's, and experience/extracurricular activities look good to me. However, with no PCAT, you will have to apply to the schools don't require PCAT and their accepted applicants usually have a very high GPA of 3.7+ and/or already obtained a BS degree. There are not that many schools that do not require PCAT. I know Albany is one of them. I have 3.75 overall GPA but still got denied. LECOM was one of them too but this year is the first year they require PCAT. Most of the schools in CA do not require PCAT but they require you to have BS degree and high GPA. With PCAT, you can apply to many schools and increase your chance to get accepted. An important thing to keep in mind...APPLY EARLY. June would be the best time to submit your PharmCAS application. It will help you a lot if the school has rolling admission. I submitted my application in June with 61 PCAT score, 3.75 overall GPA, 3.83 science GPA, 4 mos CVS pharmacy experience. I applied to LECOM, got an interview and already got accepted for Fall 2008. Hope this helps. Good luck!

That really helped... Thanks mate. :) So I should take the PCATs in January /February then? As I'll be getting my BS in Biology and Biochemistry in May of 08... I'm applying for Fall of 2008 as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
That really helped... Thanks mate. :) So I should take the PCATs in January /February then? As I'll be getting my BS in Biology and Biochemistry in May of 08... I'm applying for Fall of 2008 as well.

Yes, the next PCAT date is Jan 08. You should check with the schools you are applying to since some schools don't take the Jan PCAT score. I would recommend you to submit your PharmCAS application now. You don't need to complete all of the prerequisites and have PCAT score or BS before you apply. The deadlines are coming and I think it is already late to apply for some schools. Even though the deadlines are Feb/March for most schools, but people already completed their applications as soon as PharmCAS is up. Here is a very helpful thread that you should read to improve your chances for pharmacy school. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347616

Yes, the next PCAT date is Jan 08. You should check with the schools you are applying to since some schools don't take the Jan PCAT score. I would recommend you to submit your PharmCAS application now. You don't need to complete all of the prerequisites and have PCAT score or BS before you apply. The deadlines are coming and I think it is already late to apply for some schools. Even though the deadlines are Feb/March for most schools, but people already completed their applications as soon as PharmCAS is up. Here is a very helpful thread that you should read to improve your chances for pharmacy school. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347616

Thank you for the great information...

I've realized that I have basically I have no chance in hell... As I'm not applying soon enough.. :( *cries... First my computer dies out on me as I was doing my pharmcas stuff...* *sobs*

Schools that do not require PCAT

1. USN
2. Touro
3.University of Colorado
4. University of New Mexico
5. LECOM
6. Albany
7. University of Washington (not the campus in Seattle the other one)
8. University of Idaho (Pocatello)

Those are the ones I know of off-hand. For more information you can try www.uspharmd.com and click on pharmacy schools. You will be given a list of Pharmacy schools by state and there is a brief synopsis of their pre-reqs and whether they require PCAT or not.....GOOD LUCK!!!

#5 LECOM requires the PCAT this year!

#4, the university of New Mexico now requires the PCAT.
we can add UCSF to the list as a school not requiring the PCAT.

Zapages, UNM is a school that doesn't require a bachelor's degree to get it. in fact, statistically around 30% of those admitted actually have a bachelor's degree. just thought I'd let you know! I'm currently a ugrad there but will not be going to pharm school there since I will be moving to CA. To me, you sound like a very competitive candidate! and I think they will accept the Jan PCAT as well. good luck! :luck:

You forgot a major school. MCPHS - Worcester's three-year program.

School #8 should be Idaho State University (ISU). The University of Idaho is in Moscow, over 500 miles away. The two schools are completely separate. But yes, it's true - ISU doesn't require the PCAT at this point. ISU also does not use PharmCas, and their application deadline is later than a lot of schools - February 1st.

However, ISU accepts only about 10 out of state students each year, and the average GPA of the last few classes has been >3.6-3.7.

I think you should take the PCAT...........Everything else seems pretty good........Ur GPA could be higher......but I think the Volunteering and Research could compensate for that..

Even though some colleges do not require PCAT........u should take it anyway.........it looks good on the application.........especially if you score well........

Update guys...

My mother just told me these scores:

These are the percentiles:
Verbal: 40
Biology: 65
Reading Composition: 53
Quantitative: 67
Chemistry: 42

Composite: 53

My GPA is 3.48 (now) and I'm a double major(BS) in Biology and Biochemistry.

I've applied to these universities:

Touro University
LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy - Boston
Minnesota, University of
Campbell University
Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University
St. John Fisher College
Long Island University
Buffalo - SUNY, University at
Temple University
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy
Shenandoah University
Appalachia, University of
Charleston, University of

This was my first taking the PCATs, It seems to be a very bad score... Any chance of getting in anywhere???

The GPA and extracurricular experience looks pretty good, but I honestly think you'd have a very hard time getting in anywhere with those PCAT scores. That's a lot of schools to apply to though, so who knows. Good luck!

Update guys...

My mother just told me these scores:

These are the percentiles:
Verbal: 40
Biology: 65
Reading Composition: 53
Quantitative: 67
Chemistry: 42

Composite: 53

My GPA is 3.48 (now) and I'm a double major(BS) in Biology and Biochemistry.

I've applied to these universities:

Touro University
LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy - Boston
Minnesota, University of
Campbell University
Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University
St. John Fisher College
Long Island University
Buffalo - SUNY, University at
Temple University
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy
Shenandoah University
Appalachia, University of
Charleston, University of

This was my first taking the PCATs, It seems to be a very bad score... Any chance of getting in anywhere???

If you could just knock that PCAT up into the 60s/70s, you would have an excellent chance of acceptance somewhere. However, you are not out of the race. You still have good extracurriculars and GPA. UIC does value bachelors degree, though.

That's actually pretty good for the first try. However, for a better chance, you should retake PCAT and improve the Chemistry, Biology, and Quantitative percentiles to be at least 70. With the current PCAT score, you still have a chance of getting an interview somewhere so don't be discouraged. For Shenandoah, Apalachia, and Buffalo, they require a minimum of 60 percentile in PCAT or total 300. You should check with the school information on PharmCas http://pharmcas.com/collegesschools/directoryalpha.htm. Albany usually accepts students with 3.7+ GPA. But hey, you never know, it never hurts to try!