any chance of getting residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ascmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im student from Ross University(caribbean), step 1 score 194(79), step 2 Ck 208(85), i have rotated through UCSF anesthesia in which i actually recieved honors. And im also presently doing research in the anesthesia dept at UCSF. What are my chances of actually getting a residency spot, i want to be realistic. I've applied to over 80 programs. Any suggestions on where i should apply, or opinions on what my chances are. thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

unless u r a hot chic ...
then u need a miracle

Why? Is there not a demand for Anesthesiologists right now? Or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? Is there not a demand for Anesthesiologists right now? Or what?

that was his way of saying his Step scores may be below the avg for anesthesia applicants...anesthesiology residencies are getting more and more competitive...but scores don't mean everything in my opinion....but my opinion doesn't count for much when it comes to programs choosing me for invites :)

Did you apply to all the residencies that didn't fill last year? make sure to do so. did you apply to many midwest programs? Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you.

some img friendly residencies in anes as per an IMG friend that bought a list from some website (no idea how good the information is but thought it might help).
MC of Georgia, Cook Co, BID, Tulane, UMICH, Dartmouth, Thomas Jefferson, Albany, Nassau, UBuffalo, Westchester Med, Albert Einstein, Case western metrohealth

i appreciate all ur help amyl, i think i did apply to most of those programs that u mentioned, i appreciate it.

unless u r a hot chic ...
then u need a miracle

There must be a back door you can slide through. I know of a number of programs that trained Dentists for one year while they tried to buff up their resume for an Oral Surgery Position, along side Anesthesia Residents. You might be able to get a slot like that essentially a preliminary CA1 position that if you were OK it could turn into a categorical position.

If you get rejected everywhere you may want to consider a year or two of anesthesia training outside of the USA then reapply for a US position.

sent you a private message