Any Columbia P&S First years NOT living in Bard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILovetheOC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to live in Bard first year. I mean, I cherish my quiet space and I love having my own bathroom, but I also want to hang out with my classsmates and such. Is it possible to find a studio or one-bedroom at a reasonable rate comparable to Bard near P&S? Any older P&S students' advice is welcome! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still debating what I want to do.

I'm thinking about looking off campus as well. I sent in the info to the housing office though. I saw some sublets for around $700 which isn't much more than Bard.

Members don't see this ad :)
moi! Living just next door tho.

I really don't think your intra classmate social life will suffer by not living in Bard. I've thought a lot about this before looking at other housing options.
We spend 1 week orientation with each other, we see each other every weekday at 9am (for those of us that will attend lectures) ... sure, we may miss out on some impromptu study groups and other little social/study events, but that just means we gotta be a bit more proactive - not a bad skill to develop as future docs.

b

Hey guys, Just sent in my housing application. I was wondering how the daily rate plan works.....technically can a person stay in Bard for a few weeks while they look for alternative housing options? The idea of not having my own bathroom is still not appealing....do people generally pay for a full semester or can the $300 deposit subsitute for maybe a month's accomodation. By the way, how soon can first year students move into Bard?

Come on kids, live in Bard. It'll be one big party :D

SarahGM said:
Come on kids, live in Bard. It'll be one big party :D

can we come to visit? :D

i'm off-campus...not sure exactly where yet, but sixdegrees gave me a good lead! :)

supereagles said:
Hey guys, Just sent in my housing application. I was wondering how the daily rate plan works.....technically can a person stay in Bard for a few weeks while they look for alternative housing options? The idea of not having my own bathroom is still not appealing....do people generally pay for a full semester or can the $300 deposit subsitute for maybe a month's accomodation. By the way, how soon can first year students move into Bard?

hey supereagles.

if you're not from NYC or cannot come to NYC, say in early August or late July to do some off cmapus housing hunting, then just move into Bard and look. Call the housing office to find out how the refund works (pro0rated I'm sure)... you can easily find a place in the Towers or other nearby housing once u are here - there are signs in the Bard Lobby and you will have access to the Columbia Off-Campus registry.

If you really are bent on NOT living at Bard, then ycome to NYC early August, I can help you out too.

Hey Bonnie, Thanks for the schedule . It appears relatively okay, much like undergrad. I am from los Angeles and would most likely come in earlier to explore my housing options. :scared:

Anyone else get their housing assignment today? I dunno about mine. . .think I may just look off campus when I go to NYC next month with the 'rents. :(

hey guys!

if any of u are looking for off campus apt, my roommate and i are renting ours for July 1st move in (yes I know it's short notice). PM me if you're interested. 15 min walk to campus or a few minutes on the bus (20 blocks).

bonnie

I got mine today. I got my second choice... but I have a view of the river! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
rager1 said:
I got mine today. I got my second choice... but I have a view of the river! :)

Such torture! I'm subletting for the summer and so my mail is being forwarded... I haven't gotten anything in the mail for weeks! (Not even the packet you all supposedly got last week.) I think I may call in the a.m. It would be nice to know...

SarahGM said:
Such torture! I'm subletting for the summer and so my mail is being forwarded... I haven't gotten anything in the mail for weeks! (Not even the packet you all supposedly got last week.) I think I may call in the a.m. It would be nice to know...

yeah you should call them. The return date on the contract is June 25th. Ask for an extension.

--Rager

I'm on the eighth floor woo hoo!

rager1 said:
yeah you should call them. The return date on the contract is June 25th. Ask for an extension.

--Rager

I'm on the eighth floor woo hoo!

5th floor here! And I didn't get any of my top three. Oh well,...it faces the river though.

I got my housing assignment today too. I must be the only one who got a street view :( . I remember reading someplace that you were not allowed to change your room until after you move in. But I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I could get a river view anyway or at least if they have a waitlist to put me on it. I really wanted a river view. It's really nice and makes things less depressing. Oh well. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

Yay, I got my assignment... anyone else on the 8th floor?

I'm psyched- my first choice. No sink, but an extra window!

Thanks for the advice, all... the office is giving me an extension because of all my USPS woes :rolleyes:

bard seems to be the best option at this point, i would like to live with/near some people off campus, but after i made some friends and got to know the class.

SarahGM said:
Yay, I got my assignment... anyone else on the 8th floor?

I'm psyched- my first choice. No sink, but an extra window!

Thanks for the advice, all... the office is giving me an extension because of all my USPS woes :rolleyes:

I think you're my next door neighbor.

Hey guys, when did you get your housing assignments? We applied for towers' housing (since I'm married) but haven't heard yet.

I called. We got a Towers apartment, which should make our move easier. :)

lyragrl said:
I called. We got a Towers apartment, which should make our move easier. :)

awesome! I'll be there too. Which one? I'm in Tower 1.

missbonnie said:
awesome! I'll be there too. Which one? I'm in Tower 1.

Tower 2.

I'm on the 10th floor :D , but I have a streetview :( . Anyone else on up there with me?? I'm coming to the city in a couple of weeks. If you'll be in NYC at the time, would anyone be willing to give me tips on finding an apartment in the neighborhood or possibly getting a spot in Towers. Thanks.

JulianCrane said:
I'm on the 10th floor :D , but I have a streetview :( . Anyone else on up there with me?? I'm coming to the city in a couple of weeks. If you'll be in NYC at the time, would anyone be willing to give me tips on finding an apartment in the neighborhood or possibly getting a spot in Towers. Thanks.

It's relatively easy. You can start looking now at the Columbia Off Campus Registry. For towers housing, if you're on campus, look at the signs in Bard/Towers Lobby. If you know any current 3rd/4th yrs they could keep an eye out for vacancies.

JulianCrane,
when will you be in town? missbonnie's suggestion is good: definitely start with the housing office/registry etc. at P&S.
i had success on craig'slist as well--found a great place with no broker fee.

i also have sublet.com access for another few weeks if you want some help there (they do more than just sublets).

send me a PM or email if you want more info. you shouldn't have a problem finding a place though
good luck
noami

Hey Guys
My room assignment is on the 7th floor-damn streetview. Does anyone know if this is a coed floor. Any more info on Bard tower applications?

supereagles said:
Hey Guys
My room assignment is on the 7th floor-damn streetview. Does anyone know if this is a coed floor. Any more info on Bard tower applications?

Floor 7 is the all-male floor.

rager1 said:
Floor 7 is the all-male floor.

I think so anyway, though I just saw something that said that floors 4 and 9 were all-female and the rest were co-ed. so I'm not sure anymore...

Hello.

Was just accepted off the wait-list so I am totally out of the loop concerning housing. Once I receive my housing info, I will apply for a room in Bard, which is probably what's left. However, if anyone has found an apartmant and is looking for another roommate, please email me at [email protected] since I might not be checking SDN emails. I am a 23 year-old guy who does not plan to be studying "all the time."

Thanks.

k-kidmed said:
Hello.

Was just accepted off the wait-list so I am totally out of the loop concerning housing. Once I receive my housing info, I will apply for a room in Bard, which is probably what's left. However, if anyone has found an apartmant and is looking for another roommate, please email me at [email protected] since I might not be checking SDN emails. I am a 23 year-old guy who does not plan to be studying "all the time."

Thanks.

congrats k-kidmed!

Does anyone know anything about the apartments in 106 Haven? I got my housing assignment today. (I'm in the school of public health) :oops: