any coursework 'requirements' to observe/volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapretender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all!

so, as I said in another thread, i am exploring a career in physical therapy and I know that volunteer/observation hours are a standard requirement for entry into DPT programs. I was wondering, is it possible to start volunteering when you haven't taken any of the science prerequisites yet? I am a nontraditional student and i will be taking the prerequisites on a part-time basis. Therefore, I should have enough time to volunteer as well, but will they even consider me if I haven't completed biology, chemistry, physics etc. etc.? or would you recommend I wait to begin volunteering after i've completed those courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I work at a clinic and we get a lot of college and high school students who observe and the HS students obviously don't have those courses done. When I did observation at the hospital no one ever asked that of me so I think you'll be ok to observer/volunteer without them. Get as many hours as you can in different areas of PT will be very helpful and looks good on an application.