any coursework 'requirements' to observe/volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imapretender

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all!

so, as I said in another thread, i am exploring a career in physical therapy and I know that volunteer/observation hours are a standard requirement for entry into DPT programs. I was wondering, is it possible to start volunteering when you haven't taken any of the science prerequisites yet? I am a nontraditional student and i will be taking the prerequisites on a part-time basis. Therefore, I should have enough time to volunteer as well, but will they even consider me if I haven't completed biology, chemistry, physics etc. etc.? or would you recommend I wait to begin volunteering after i've completed those courses?
 
I work at a clinic and we get a lot of college and high school students who observe and the HS students obviously don't have those courses done. When I did observation at the hospital no one ever asked that of me so I think you'll be ok to observer/volunteer without them. Get as many hours as you can in different areas of PT will be very helpful and looks good on an application.